U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 PM

122 posts, read 298,683 times

Advertisements

Eugene is reeeeeally boring. Beer is GREAT though! 16 Tons, Ninkasi, Oakshire, and Hops Valley are all worth visits in descending order of worthwhile.

Biking along the riverpath is lovely; it's too bad you'll be here before the blackberries are ripe.

There is no shopping here worth the bother and the restaurants are overpriced and gross.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM

9,517 posts, read 12,641,841 times
Couldn't disagree more with the prior post. And no one has even mentioned the many wineries in the area , King Estate is just one.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,846,283 times
What is the deal with Ninkasi? Hubby and I have tried most of their beers and... they really aren't that great. We're from Texas, though, so maybe we just don't "get" PNW beer yet.

We really miss Shiner Bock... for whatever reason they don't distribute to Oregon, we have to stock up when we go to Washington state... it's a Texas beer. Why would they sell it in WA and not OR? Bummer.

DO LOVE much of the local wine we have tried, though. Good lord we have some really great wine here!

Stuckinseattle we used to be stuck in Seattle, too. We were actually on the east side of Lake Washington in an even worse area than Seattle - Redmond. UGH! It was awful. Trying to live and raise a family there puts one in a very grumpy mood. I didn't like anything when we lived up there, either. It's OK. We moved back to Eugene and now life is all set to rights again!

You are right, though, a lot of the restaurants here are overpriced... though I disagree about quality - many of them are really good.

Shopping? Eh... that's what the internet is for.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Farrell View Post
In defense of West Eugene, I must say that the wetlands are a remarkable place to visit; they provide a valuable resource to discover wildlife and to educate your children. See the WREN website for activities and a map of the many accessible areas. We walk the paths often and enjoy the ever-changing wildflowers and grasses, the bird-watching opportunities, and the friendly greetings of like-minded folks.
It's just sad that there's all that noisy traffic and that big huge WalMart mucking up the atmosphere. I do love walking those wetlands, though... and we have that really rare butterfly there which is awesome!!

Fender's Blue Butterfly — Butterfly Conservation Initiative

Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 PM

122 posts, read 298,683 times
<i>You are right, though, a lot of the restaurants here are overpriced... though I disagree about quality - many of them are really good. </i>

No, they're really not, and it's an embarrassment. What is really good? Marche? Belly? What? It's all at best barely adequate and I am not paying those prices for barely adequate.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
<i>You are right, though, a lot of the restaurants here are overpriced... though I disagree about quality - many of them are really good. </i>

No, they're really not, and it's an embarrassment. What is really good? Marche? Belly? What? It's all at best barely adequate and I am not paying those prices for barely adequate.
It probably depends on personal taste, really, don't you think? We love the Pizza Research Institute. Hubby and I have lived all over and we're never known a place like it. Red Agave is also nice. Osteria Sfizo is wonderful IMHO. And for casual "fast food" type food we really love Cafe Yumm, which is another place you won't find outside of Eugene - yet? Or do they have one in Corvallis now? We also really like June, Poppi's, and Belly.

Anyway... one thing about Eugene that we've noticed is that you sort of have to stumble upon things or know the right person to find the good stuff. A lot of the best stuff doesn't seem to advertise itself. I love that. You never know what you'll find today.

And some of the best meals I've had out in Eugene weren't at restaurants but at events... like the truffle festival... and the mushroom festival.

Editing to note: I just looked it up and there are Cafe Yumm locations outside of Eugene now. Woo hoo!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:19 PM

79 posts, read 173,789 times
Some very good information here, I wish I had done more research about Eugene before a vacation to Oregon a year and half ago. We spent time in Portland (a little disappointing), Mt. Rainier (totally foggy the whole time), Astoria and area (loved it), the coast (incredibly beautiful), Corvallis (perfect little college town) and Eugene.

We did not have much time for Eugene which I regret - I am sure we were in all the wrong places. We drove in from the coast on 126 (beautiful drive over and liked the wetland areas but once in town we ended up on a horrible strip commercial roadway). Naturally we wanted to see the university only I got into the wrong lane crossed the river on I-105 and ended up in a mall parking lot. Once we recovered we found the campus area (where several local streets were being rebuilt) which was very wonderful.

Despite my poor planning I saw enough to think that Corvallis and Eugene are fine places to live. I love where we are at now - Tallahassee Florida - but the heat in the summer will wear you out and the state has been taken over by right wing politicians who have gutted land use planning and environmental protection and seem to have the goal of becoming one big Orlando (yuck).

Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,240,275 times
Caffe Yumm has a location down the street from me in Beaverton. My wife loves it, I'm less impressed, although I will admit the sauce is pretty good.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Caffe Yumm has a location down the street from me in Beaverton. My wife loves it, I'm less impressed, although I will admit the sauce is pretty good.
My hubby like the chipotle yumm sauce, I prefer the original.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM

281 posts, read 635,768 times
Eugene isn't terribly exciting, but there are plenty of things to do, like hike Pisgah or the butte, mountain bike Ridgeline, walk around campus, go to a game or a track meet, Saturday Market, show at the Hult, walk the river or swim in it.

I agree that good eats can be hard to find, but we like Mio Sushi, Dickie Joes, Cafe Yumm, Ta Ra Rin. I also have to put a plug in for the best thai food in the area at Noodle and Thai on Main in Springfield. It might not look impressive, but they make their noodles fresh every day and they're sooooo good! I first heard about it from a guy from Thailand and he said it's the most authentic place he has found here in the states and the prices are very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area