U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM

292 posts, read 495,897 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm applying for a job in the Lane County school district and was just wondering what people thought of the schools in this area.

I'm from New England, but I've always wanted to live in the Eugene area...as an avid runner and outdoorsman and someone endeared to the whole 'liberal hippie' thing it seems like such a natural fit for me!

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,797,400 times
Lane County is pretty big. Do you mean the Eugene 4J school District?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 AM

292 posts, read 495,897 times
nah, it's for the whole county, including Eugene 4J. Looks like it's mainly centered around the Eugene vicinity though.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,797,400 times
Our kids go to 4J schools. We know Cal Young Middle School and Gilham Elementary school. I'm an active volunteer and feel that I know the schools pretty well. We've also lived in other states (CA, TX, and WA) and so I have experienced the differences between these Eugene schools and public schools in those other areas. (We've always made an effort to live in the neighborhoods which have the better public schools.)

Anyway - from our experience... Let me get the bad out of the way first: I feel that the classes are too big, the math curriculum sucks big-time, and it upsets me that they allow adults with a criminal history to be a teacher. (There's a teacher at Gilham who is mentally unstable and has been convicted on misdemeanor offenses - the school says since they are only "lesser offenses" she may still teach. She's fine as long as she's on her meds, but when she changes her meds or goes off of them she uses inappropriate language around the students and can be very mean and abrasive and is extremely short-tempered. She's also absent quite a bit due to reactions to meds. Parents were VERY upset about this, and voiced their opinion loud and clear, but the principal couldn't (or wouldn't?) do anything about it. Many parents changed schools when they found out their kid was placed in her class. Some turned to homeschooling. And what's interesting to note is that they seemed to put all the low-income kids, single-parent family kids, new to the school students, and students whose parents just are not involved or choose to be clueless in her class. It's fishy, to say the least.)

OK... so now the GOOD: My kids love their schools and they have always had excellent teachers (We've been lucky!). The reading program is very strong. There is a strong sense of community and supporting the students and just a positive feeling of caring. They are very strongly anti-bully and have programs set in place to teach kids proper behavior and deal with bullying-type situations swiftly and respectfully. They have kept programs in place such as music, art, and PE which a lot of other schools have had to cut due to budget problems. They also have language immersion programs in the schools - Gilham has Japanese, for example, even though it's not one of the immersion schools. (Eugene has three language immersion school - French, Japanese, and Spanish.) They have special needs kids in the classrooms which has been great for my kids because they've grown up learning that people who are different from them physically or mentally are people, too, and deserve our attention and respect just the same as everyone else who are lucky enough not to have those daily challenges. They encourage parent involvement which is wonderful! We have also had some amazing field trips. The schools also seem to understand the importance of having technology in the classrooms. There's lots of opportunity for the kids to learn about computers and how to use the latest gadgets, etc, but in a safe and educational and productive way.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them for you.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,451,655 times
ESD is a service district providing services that the schools only need on an occasional basis. My brother has worked for the on and off for 40 years or more. He is back there now.

I know this is an old post, but the question was never really answered. Oregon supports all it's schools equally. Most are about the same and all are in finacial trouble with some leaving the ESD's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area