U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 AM

5 posts, read 66,767 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]I'm ready to leave my home of 55 years; it's time to get out of Michigan. I've never been to Oregon but I'm ready to just head out, relocate. OR is my dream state. I'm a Progressive/Liberal, Universalist Unitarian, degreed, and want to feel at home. Any suggestions? Seeking affordable living, central, near a large city, safe, with employment opportunities. All opinions, suggestions appreciated. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 AM

21,697 posts, read 26,148,255 times
The number on priority on your list should be the employment opportunities. According to AARP Bulletin this month, Oregon had six job seekers for every one job opening. Higher degrees are a dime a dozen here unless you have a special skill. You may be able to find something but make your financial plans before doing anything else.

Ask more specific questions. Don't think of Oregon as a dream state but rather what potential it has for your survival in living there. If you have never visited a place, you really need to go there and see if it lives up to your expectations.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:22 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,211,455 times
employment is bad, yeah. It sounds like you might like portland or eugene. dig around on the forum, this sort of information is in every other thread pretty much.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM

6,280 posts, read 7,708,455 times
I think you'd like Eugene. I was there about 2 years. There are plenty of retirees and older folks. The University of Oregon is there so that might provide an opportunity to hear a guest speaker, take a class, etc. There is a performing arts center that attracts a mostly older crowd. The big deal is whether you intend to keep working. That could be a problem as others have mentioned. I think it's a good place to retire but not good if you are looking for work.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,216,491 times
Hi, nrk55:

I moved last summer from Detroit Suburbs to the Portland city area. I love Portland; More urban than Eugene. I am over 60.

There are jobs in Oregon, just a lot of others wanting those same jobs. Some things will cost less out here in Oregon, others will be more expensive like meat in grocery stores. Winters, which are more rainy than frozen and bitter cold, will leave home humid and damp. Summers are dry, bright and sunny with cool nights. Native Oregonians have never heard of, or don't understand the phrase "Hot, Humid, and Hazy" weather forecast. You will not need to shovel snow to get your car out of the garage so you can drive to work. It snows only on un-frozen ground.

Left coast culture dominates most of Oregon. Takes a bit to get use to, after Michigan anyway.

Best of luck to you. I know you will like Oregon;
but do read up in this forum and other Oregon forums on seasonally affective disorder (SAD) and need for vitamin D and C supplements. Also Wikipedia.

Phil

Old 05-16-2010, 01:16 AM

230 posts, read 580,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk55 View Post
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]I'm ready to leave my home of 55 years; it's time to get out of Michigan. I've never been to Oregon but I'm ready to just head out, relocate. OR is my dream state. I'm a Progressive/Liberal, Universalist Unitarian, degreed, and want to feel at home. Any suggestions? Seeking affordable living, central, near a large city, safe, with employment opportunities. All opinions, suggestions appreciated. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]
I think you'd fit in beautifully in Eugene. It's been like my second home, and I've lived there during various periods of my life.

I know that the locals in Oregon feel compelled to warn you about the job situation, but most other states are in the same position. I have a friend in Michigan that just found a job after a year and a half of looking. It really all depends on what you do, how much money you need, and how long you can afford to hold out until you get something.

Having given you the perfunctory warning about the job market, let me say that I think you'd love it. The Pacific Northwest weather isn't for everyone, but the springs, summers,and autumn, in Oregon are wonderful. But I suppose your coming from MI, the winter wont' bother you too much. The big adjustment is if you're used to lots of sunshine between snowstorms there, as the sun is lacking in the winter in Eugene.

Culturally, I have never been to a better place. There is something for everyone. The arts groups are great, the food is fantastic, and the natural food markets are superb. Can you tell I love Eugene? It's really special.

If you have the means to get by for a while, then you might just try it out! Wondering how Oregon is your dream state if you've never been there... or did I miss something? Any way you can visit for a few weeks before you decide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area