U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,654 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Eugene in July, and I'll conveniently be running to the end of my contract with T-mobile. I'm going to be getting a new phone anyway, so I'm trying to decide if I want to start up with Sprint or AT&T, or stay with T-mo. Any advice on whether any of those provide good even coverage in the area? What about data/3G? I know Sprint's supposed to be rolling out 4G in town this summer. Phone aside, which carrier would you recommend to start with in Eugene?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:00 PM

588 posts, read 1,175,024 times
I have an iphone, and the 3g takes forever to load sometimes. I don't quite understand, but sometimes if I am viewing a webpage, it takes quite some time before the page even begins to load. I don't know what is up with that. Sometimes ATT goes down for whatever reason it seems, but I rarely ever have trouble calling people.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 7,642 times
I was with T-Mobile here in Eugene for 5 years. Their signal was fair around town (unless you are in a metal building), but once you get outside the area, it's spotty at best. My wife had an AT&T Pay-As-You-Go type Tracphone and always got better reception no matter where we were. The last time my contract came up with T-Mobile, I switched to AT&T. I wanted an I-Phone for one thing, and better reception too. I got both for about the same price I was paying T-Mobile.

Verizon and AT&T have shared tower contracts (despite the phony AT&T .vs Verizon commercials), so the coverage is the same for both AT&T and Verizon.

Oh, and make DAMN SURE that your contract is open with T-Mobile before you switch. The salespeople at the Coburg Road store LIED to me. Check your actual contract, verify it and get it in writing! It cost me $250 to learn this the hard way.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 AM

351 posts, read 1,178,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho View Post
Verizon and AT&T have shared tower contracts (despite the phony AT&T .vs Verizon commercials), so the coverage is the same for both AT&T and Verizon.
They may share "some" towers.... but Verizion is CDMA and ATT is GSM.
CDMA signal can travel further distance... and thus also works better inside buildings (of course this depends on distance from the tower).

Almost everywhere I have gone in Oregon.... verizon has worked (and works in allot of places when I go over the cascades)

I have had Sprint, ATT and T-Mobile..... and currently I have a cheep pre-paid company that uses Verizon. It is cheep and dependable.

Back to the OP question.... I lived in Eugene and given the choice Verizon wins hands down.... Then ATT then next I would say Sprint and T-Mobile would come in last

Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,830,171 times
I'm biased because my husband works for the company, but we've always had good luck with Verizon Wireless unless we're in a mountain range area or in an indoor situation where there are inches of cement in-between the walls and ceilings/flooring. We lived in an apartment community that was built that way once and our signal was very bad, so bad we had to go outside on the patio to talk. But aside from those two situations Verizon Wireless has always been great. I have heard that they are slowly shifting away from CDMA and towards LTE...

I know when I have a strong EV-DO signal on my phone I can send and receive videos and photos and download apps and music and really do anything very fast on my phone. In Eugene it's pretty rare when the signal isn't strong, but as you get up into the mountains the signals can get really weak and sometimes nonexistant. We have a strong signal on the coast, too.

If you want I can ask my husband about the sharing of towers. I have heard him talking about that kind of situation, but I can't remember who he said shares with who...

... I thought I'd also chime in about customer service. One gripe I do have about Verizon Wireless is the customer Service. It used to be that the customer service at the Coburg VW store (near Ben & Jerry's, yum...) was HORRIBLE. They used to be so rude in there, even to my husband who works on the network for the company (he's not a lowly salesman). But now-a-days the Coburg road store is actually the better place to go. They have nice people there now, and the two people who were particularly bitchy and rude I haven't seen there in quite awhile. Now, it seems to be the people at the VW kiosk at the VRC mall who have the crappy attitudes and no idea about good customer service. Go figure.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:00 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,830,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
They may share "some" towers.... but Verizion is CDMA and ATT is GSM.
I think both Verizon Wireless and AT&T are switching over to 4GLTE... maybe that's what the sharing thing is all about, I dunno...

You know who else shares the towers? Endangered birds! If there's a nest with babies, eggs, or any kind of bird life up there - like Bald Eagles (although I thought Bald Eagles were taken off the list? hmmm...), for example, the cell tech guys who go up the towers to work on things aren't allowed to do their job. I think it's a federal crime to disturb the nests of some birds of prey (the ones which are on the endangered animals list). So they are putting "fake" nests on top of towers now built in a special way where the birds can be happy and the towers can function and be worked on and alls good. If you look hard enough while out driving, especially in mountain areas or along the coast, you can see some of these nests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area