U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 04:29 PM

81 posts, read 173,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
So I just got off the phone with Qwest... and thought I'd share just in case the OP or anyone else is curious... Qwest prices for internet without having a phone line are:

- 1.5 mbps $30 per month (for basic web browsing, email, online shopping)

- 7 mbps $35/mo (if you play more online games or do a lot of online chatting or IM)

- 12 mbps $45/mo (good for home offices and performing multiple tasks at once)

- up to 20 mbps $55/mo (good for more serious gamers and watching HD movies and heavier multitasking, etc.)

I think we're going to switch! Thanks you guys.
Thanks for the info. I was about to ask the same thing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amplee View Post
So I'm in the same boat as some of you and only need internet at this point. Is Qwest a DSL connection or cable? I'm looking for probably the fastest option with Qwest, would you all recommend their internet? What are the setup charges (modems, fees, etc.) for Qwest?
IIRC, Qwest is one of the major internet back bone provider. I don't think they use cable. If anything, they're using fiber optic since DSL can't very well get up to 20mbs speed well because of possible line interference. Speaking of speed, I wonder if they have higher as I'm looking to get up to 50mbs
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 PM

81 posts, read 173,911 times
I'm starting to wonder about Qwest/CenturyLINK business practices now... The website said 'DSL' yet the customer service and support said it's Fiber

Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,203,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _TwentyTwenty_ View Post
I'm starting to wonder about Qwest/CenturyLINK business practices now... The website said 'DSL' yet the customer service and support said it's Fiber
DSL is the technology running the service. Fiber is the technology delivering the service.

Essentially fiber optics cables replaced the POTS (plain old telephone service,) copper wires that have been in use for over 100 years in some areas.

So the trickery is that they're trying to get you to believe you're going to be using FIOS (Fiber Optic Service,) which does blow Cable away speed wise. In actuality, they're stilling using DSL, but on the Fiber wires. They're banking on the 99.9% of home users who wouldn't notice a difference, since they're advertising FIOS so heavily. Even though less then 10% of the Portland area can have it.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM

13 posts, read 33,973 times
So I've had internet for two days now. The Century Link guy was working on some outside stuff as we arrived and gave us the thumbs up on internet. He said he needed to come back on Monday and free up some of our speed. I wasn't sure what he meant and I might be phrasing it wrong. Anyway, he said it would be sluggish until then. However, I'm getting download speeds of 16 mbps on a 20 mb plan, so it seems to be working relatively well. I'll wait till Monday to find out if I get closer to 20 mbps.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM

9 posts, read 13,748 times
Question Need help finding broadband

Moving to East Springfield and found there's no cable internet near me.

Have read that the 2 satellite services are terrible, there's no 4G wireless, and nothing else is available but dial-up....

PLEASE tell me of another option for this rural resident that has to have broadband?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,805,275 times
4G is coming... my hubby is working on it!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
4G is coming... my hubby is working on it!
Who, where and when?

I'd hate to sign a 2 year contract for poor sat service just to find out 4G will be here in a couple months.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Lightbulb Another alternative

BTW, I've been trying to get another service that gives direct wireless internet service. If you're like me and just outside 4G, no cable, no DSL, and IF you have line-of-sight to the Springfield quarry hill where the transmitter is, try here:

UnwiredWest - Connecting Rural Communities to Global Communications

Very helpful and personal. Unfortunally my signal strength was too low where I am to use their service but since they have a low install fee and month to month usage with low priced CAP fee, it was my service of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area