U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 AM

46 posts, read 85,069 times

Advertisements

I think we've finally picked our new spot in the world. Eugene area, Veneta or Elmira Maybe. We are driving over for a preview trip soon. My inlaws (of course) have told us it's full of hippies and wierdos. I've given up asking them what places are like! So I'm asking you all here.
Can anyone tell me what to expect if I picked up an moved my family, kids, horses, dogs to this area? Are the schools good? Do they allow advanced kid more challenged classes? Do they have lead paint in the school and terrible stuff like that? I feel like Im getting horror stories....

Hippies. I need to talk about this. There are many ways people use this term. One kind can be homeless park dwellers. Another, artist types. Another, dope growers. I suppose another kind is the yuounger set, the teens/twenty somethings with angry hair cuts and body art. Which kind is in Eugene, and why is that the first thing people mention?

THANKS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 AM

14 posts, read 128,348 times
Red face Hippy Town

I grew up in the area, and yes, you will find all types in Eugene....white collar, blue collar, artsy folk (LOTS of artsy folk), college students (who sometimes look homeless), and also the truly homeless.

All in all, Eugene is a very cultural city - there are a lot of really creative folks that live there. It is a very liberal town. My husband is very conservative, and he really hates to go there, but I was born in Eugene, so though I am also conservative, I have a great love for the place. It is beautiful and there are lots of things to do. You're an hour from the coast, 90 minutes from the mountains. They have a wonderful performing arts center there. Lots of resturants, cafes, bistros, art museums, specialty shops.

Drug use...well, there is drug use there like anywhere else. I couldn't give you stats on it. If you head out to outlying areas like Veneta, etc...you might find a few pot growers. But again, I have no stats on it...just from what I remember as a kid growing up in the area.

Good luck on your research!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:11 AM

375 posts, read 1,627,738 times
We drove around Eugene yesterday. Very nice place. We will be checking it out more. It's on my list!! The kids really liked this area.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:05 PM

8 posts, read 23,420 times
I went to U of O. If you don't want to experience the hippy culture, stay away from Saturday Market esp. the steps of city hall. From time to time, you will see unclothed people walking around trying to make a statement, not something you would want to expose your children to!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,376 times
try NwRental Services

Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 PM

133 posts, read 271,938 times
Nude people in public?
Wow! What a paradise Eugene must be! I once drove through Eugene on by way to Olympia
WA and i remember thinking what a beautiful place. Flat but green. Once i got to Washington, severe allergies kicked in. I should have stopped in Eugene while I had the chance back in 1983.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,062,708 times
Eugene is not all flat. There are curvy hilly bits, too. If you've ever flown into or out of the city via the Eugene Airport during daylight hours you really see how varied the terrain here is. Or hike up one of the buttes and have a look-see from higher ground. But the flat parts are best for getting around by bike!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM

22 posts, read 89,440 times
Default Considering moving to Eugene

Can anyone in Eugene tell me about the economy in Eugene and the surrounding area? We live in the Southwest, (Yuma,AZ), and we want to move asap as the economy here is at a dismal 25% and shows no signs of slowing down. I need to know about the rental homes for ( $ 700.00 a month) is this a possibility? There are four adults and a little one (2 months old) and we need to move at the end of January/2011. Now as for the weather at this time, would it be wise to wait? We need a change at this area and Eugene minus the rain looks great. So we are looking for anything positive regarding Eugene as I have researched other States and Oregon is our top pick right now, thanks for any responses.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,062,708 times
Hey Haida...

I'm not a native Eugenian so somebody else might be more qualified to answer your question here, but I'll put in my two cents worth just in case it might help.

I don't know where you got your percentage from and I'm not a very business-minded person, but if by economy you mean "What does the job situation look like in Eugene?" I'd have to respond with a "Dismal" UNLESS you are willing to work beneath your qualifications or earn less money than you might think you're worth. People stay in Eugene making much less money than they could potentially make elsewhere simply because they don't want to live anywhere else. I've never in my life met more people with graduate degrees working as barista's or Master's degree's working in an ice cream shop (seriously!) simply because they couldn't find a job in Eugene that matched their skills or degrees but yet they refused to leave our sweet town. That should tell you something. What's more important to you - love or money? Most of the people who stay here are here because they think more with their spirit or their heart. I haven't met too many people here who think they are here to get rich or because it'll be a boost to their career somehow. In fact, my husband took a few steps back on the ole career ladder just so we could call Eugene home.

Housing? We are a family of four who choose to live beneath our means so that we can save money and live simply and frugally. I have looked and I haven't found a home to rent for around $700. in decent parts of town. You might find something in the more sketchy areas or shady parts, or in the outer areas or parts of Springfield. Or West Eugene/Bethel/Barger area. I guess it depends on what your comfort level is. We have two school-age kids and we bike a lot as a family so it's important to us to live in a decent area where the schools are good and near the river bike trails. (If you're near the river bike trails you can pretty much ride your bike to where ever you want to go in Eugene without problems or having to deal with too much car traffic.) We're currently in a nice and roomy two-bedroom apartment with a garden and a garage that we rent for around $700/month. Houses in this area rent anywhere between $900 and up to $2450 (or more, probably) depending on how nice or large they are. We have a street near where we live that has half-a-million dollar homes on one end of the street with trailer homes on the other end. Blew us away when we first saw that as we'd never seen that anywhere else we've lived.

As for the rain - we got more rain in Texas than we get in Eugene. It's just a different sort of wetness and certainly more darkness as we are further north. (Shorter days during the winter, but longer days during the amazing summers! )

Best to you and good luck with everything.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,831,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidawarrior View Post
Can anyone in Eugene tell me about the economy in Eugene and the surrounding area? We live in the Southwest, (Yuma,AZ), and we want to move asap as the economy here is at a dismal 25% and shows no signs of slowing down. I need to know about the rental homes for ( $ 700.00 a month) is this a possibility? There are four adults and a little one (2 months old) and we need to move at the end of January/2011. Now as for the weather at this time, would it be wise to wait? We need a change at this area and Eugene minus the rain looks great. So we are looking for anything positive regarding Eugene as I have researched other States and Oregon is our top pick right now, thanks for any responses.
No matter how many times you ask it doesn't get any better. The Economy is in the toilet. There are few jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area