U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:46 AM

206 posts, read 463,452 times

Advertisements

Nothing to worry about. After Kitzhaber is elected were going to be swimming in green jobs, making solar panels and windmills. Sure its gonna happen so dont worry. By the way, hows that hope and change working out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 12:59 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,252,276 times
Planned life is very reasonable, I believe you the next 5 years will have great achievements.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:49 AM

231 posts, read 733,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post
Nothing to worry about. After Kitzhaber is elected were going to be swimming in green jobs, making solar panels and windmills. Sure its gonna happen so dont worry. By the way, hows that hope and change working out.
The hope and change is not working out well BECAUSE THE REPUBLICANS ARE BLOCKING IT IN A SELFISH ATTEMPT TO REGAIN POWER FOR THEMSELVES AT THE EXPENSE OF THE CITIZENS.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM

The delusion of liberalism. Hes got a super majority and its still R's fault. Waaaa, cry a river. Good luck with that hope and change Eugene, you own it.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,857,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olduvai2020 View Post
Eugene did not run Whole Foods off. Whole Foods wanted millions of dollars in City subsidies (to be provided via urban renewal district tax increment financing) to set up shop on Broadway. The issue was referred to voters, as is customary with any state or local tax increases in Oregon, and the people voted the measure down, probably reasoning that it does not make sense to provide taxpayer-funded subsidies to an out-of-town business that would be competing directly with existing local downtown businesses, such as the Kiva... Whole Foods could certainly build a store here without those subsidies, but they chose not to.
Exactly. We keep running out bigger companies so that we protect our smaller ones. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just how Eugene is. IMO we ran Whole Foods - as Eugene has with other larger companies who could have actually helped us (providing more jobs, more taxes, etc.) - off.

Eugene is a wonderful town for the idealist liberal spirit. Not a good town for big business. I feel like things are slowly changing, though. I mean - we are slowly seeing the signs of gentrification.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM

235 posts, read 374,118 times
http://www.milkeninstitute.org/pdf/bpc2010.pdf

In the 2010 Milken Institute study Eugene fell from 81 to 160 which earned it a spot on the biggest decliners list. Maybe things will change in Eugene but from what I've seen in the almost seven years living here the change will be similar to the time it took for the Colorado to carve the Grand Canyon.

If you want to find out just one of the reasons Eugene's economy is so terrible, go shopping. Every time we shop here, we're told, oh, we don't carry that but we could order it for you; it would take three weeks and the shipping is anywhere from 25-35% of the item cost. You go home and order it online yourself, have it in two days, free shipping. If I can do that, they could do that for me, charge some minimal fee and I would keep shopping at the store. I understand the support local businesses but that just doesn't work when you're constantly being over charged. Most people that I know here, don't shop here. They go to Salem, Portland, Seattle, maybe even further.

When we first moved here I went to REI to do a return. They wouldn't take it. Luckily I was going to Seattle the next week and the clerk's eyes got as big as saucers when I told her that the Eugene store wouldn't take the return. I had been a member at REI for 20 years so knew their return policy but no matter what I said the women wouldn't take the return. It was a brand new item but she kept saying it was over the 30 day time limit. Tried to explain there is not 30 day time limit. Wanted to speak to the manager - guess what, she was the manager. Shopping in Eugene. I do love Down to Earth though, favorite store.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,857,129 times
I've had bad experiences at the Eugene REI, too. The one in Portland is really great, though, so we've been going to that one lately. I think actually it's in Hillsboro... technically not Portland... but definitely not Eugene.

It's so sad, because we love this town. We even moved away and missed it so much we had to move right back. But there have been rumours circulating where my husband works that they are going to close in 5 to 7 years (not the whole company, just that particular office) and if/when that happens, we'll go where the jobs are, and we doubt, unfortunately, that we'll be able to stay here. We'll have to seek our shangri-la someplace else. Maybe Hillsboro, where the good REI is! lol

Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Forbes just released their top 10 cities for job outlook and Eugene hit number #2! Unfortunately the job lists was for best city's for collecting cans from roadside ditches. I think Portland was #1, but hey they're green jobs.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:54 PM

235 posts, read 374,118 times
bman, can you post the link to this study. I can't find Eugene in #1/2/anything below the 30's in any recent study. Thanks much.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM

I forget where I saw that report but if you do an advanced search with the words "hey man", "its Bushes fault", and "long haired, body odor FM type" you should find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area