U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 PM

26 posts, read 75,153 times

Advertisements

So I moved here with my boyfriend and dog on June 1. We contracted with World Wide Van Lines to move our things. They were supposed to show up on May 26 to give us plenty of time to get to Eugene to sign our new lease on June 1. They never showed up. We spoke with them on June 28 and they indicated for sure they would have us out by the 1st and told us to the leave our keys with a friend or relative to let them in when they got to town.

We drove to Eugene, and signed a lease with Emerald Property Management based on what we had seen of a property online. We were not able to look at the property prior to signing the paperwork. At any rate we paid almost $2K to secure the property for a month with the pet deposit and security deposit. They gave us the wrong keys, so we sat outside the property until a locksmith came to let us in. The property was in absoultely deplorable condition. Completely unlivable! So, we moved into a Motel 6 and complained our asses off until they agreed to let us into a different property.

As of today, June 4, we have a rental unit. But, after calling and demanding to speak to a supervisor at World Wide Van Lines, I was informed that they are unable to get a truck to ND at this time and can't say when they will. I also received a call from my previous landlord indicating they will be charging us an entire month's rent for our failure to vacate the property by June 1.

So, my boyfriend is leaving me and the dog, in an empty apartment, to fly back to ND to rent a U Haul, to pack our **** and drive out here again.

I know this is not Eugene's fault, but this is the worst moving experience I've ever had and I'm my eyes out because this just sucks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 PM

640 posts, read 1,487,252 times
Wow! That's the worst moving experience I've ever heard. What a nightmare!

Ok, mine's not as nightmarish as yours; On move day my roommate and I showed up to put our stuff into a storage unit that we had reserved at some place in Eugene. They said they didn't have a storage space for us at all. We said that was impossible since we paid for the "guaranteed reservation".

Get this:

they said, "yes, you can see that your name is here on the list as per our guarantee."
I'm like, "ok, so there IS a space for us."
them, "no. We only guarantee that we DID actually make the reservation. But we don't have a storage unit available."

What The?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,927,643 times
Rose, that sounds like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Elaine reserve a rental car at the airport, lol!

Annabell, I'm sorry your moving experience has been so horrible. Hopefully the mover is refunding your money. I would talk with them about paying your next month's rent as well, since they guaranteed you would be out of your place by the 1st. Do you have this in writing?

I had a similar moving situation out here to Oregon. We were in the middle of selling our home, had an offer and was told the deal would go through. We had to sign over our home on the 1st of July. My sister was getting married in MT (we were moving from CO) at the end of June, so really we needed to be out before her wedding. However, that was not happening. The purchaser's loan was taking forever, but we were told by our realtor to plan for the 1st. By the time we got the moving company situated, we were going to be out of town headed to MT. We ended up having to pay $700 for an exact day pickup since we had to have our friend there for the movers and he couldn't work with a 3 day window due to work. Well, the buyers loan ended up taking until the middle of July to close, and they didn't need possession until August! I asked my realtor to pay the $700 we payed to the movers because he was the one who guaranteed the loan would go through and we needed to be out by July 1st. He paid!

Hopefully everything works out for you guys. Moving is so stressful to begin with, let alone what you've been through. Best of luck in your new adventure!

Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 PM

26 posts, read 75,153 times
Thanks. I'm over my pity party now. Yesterday was a bad day. I'll just have to make the best of the empty apartment and get out and check out the area. I'm excited about Saturday market and checking out campus - I go to UO in the fall as an OTA part time student. I've heard of some other fun events like Orange County Fair and Slug Fest or something like that. Can't wait! Also, really excited about the beer festival in Portland in July! My boyfriend is a home brewer so we've been looking forawrd to that for months!

Any other fun stuff going on in Eugene/Springfield this summer?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,927,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabell23 View Post
Thanks. I'm over my pity party now. Yesterday was a bad day. I'll just have to make the best of the empty apartment and get out and check out the area. I'm excited about Saturday market and checking out campus - I go to UO in the fall as an OTA part time student. I've heard of some other fun events like Orange County Fair and Slug Fest or something like that. Can't wait! Also, really excited about the beer festival in Portland in July! My boyfriend is a home brewer so we've been looking forawrd to that for months!

Any other fun stuff going on in Eugene/Springfield this summer?
I think you're talking about the Oregon Country Fair. I've never been, but heard it's great. Saturday Market is a great experience too. Lots of neat crafts and good produce available. There are quite a few good concerts at the Cuthbert Theater this summer. If your boyfriend is a home brewer, you've moved to right place! Bend (where I live) also has a brew festival. It's in the fall and usually a nice event. Probably not as big at Portland's, but Bend has 6 local breweries, which for a town of 85,000, is pretty darn good!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:08 PM

90 posts, read 175,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I think you're talking about the Oregon Country Fair. I've never been, but heard it's great. Saturday Market is a great experience too. Lots of neat crafts and good produce available. There are quite a few good concerts at the Cuthbert Theater this summer. If your boyfriend is a home brewer, you've moved to right place! Bend (where I live) also has a brew festival. It's in the fall and usually a nice event. Probably not as big at Portland's, but Bend has 6 local breweries, which for a town of 85,000, is pretty darn good!
I have never been to the Oregon Country Fair. But many of my friends have, Be warned, There are quite a bit of naked hippies there. There are buses that run out there also, I think the police search cars heading into the fair, I know several years back they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area