U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM

625 posts, read 1,258,335 times

Advertisements

I am coming by for a job interview soon and would like to check out palces to live, what rents are like, etc. Will be meeting with a realtor but I also wanted to look at places to rent. I thought Broadway Place sounded intriguing (I visited once and it seemed like a nice new downtown project). But some of the reviews led to me to believe there would be issues with noise/drunk people/druggies carousing under the windows and making noise at night. Are there any other nice (historic or new) apartment or condo projects in/near the downtown? My wife and I are not looking for the standard 3-story suburban walk-up, and don't want to be somewhere that's majority students. There seemed to be some condos in Wimbledon across the river that looked nice and an easy bike ride into town ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:00 PM

57 posts, read 156,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I thought Broadway Place sounded intriguing (I visited once and it seemed like a nice new downtown project). But some of the reviews led to me to believe there would be issues with noise/drunk people/druggies carousing under the windows and making noise at night.
Broadway Place Apartments are great, and it is one of the best rental places to live in downtown Eugene if you truly enjoy living in a walkable, bikable mixed-use area with a lot of things to do. A few caveats about Broadway Place though:

1. The apartments facing the outside perimeter of their two buildings (streets and alleys) can be indeed noisy, mostly because of the City sweepers that clean the parking garage located under the apartments very early in the morning (like 3am - go figure ). However, a lot of their apartments face nicely landscaped inner courtyards, and those are very quite. Never had any problems with the noise from neighbors at Broadway Place.

2. There is no air conditioning, which is somewhat suprising for a place that charges fairly steep rents (by Eugene standards). You could put in a window AC unit to deal with heat in July-August, but the best thing would be to rent an apartment that does not face south or west and just use a fan (or go to the coast when it gets really hot).

3. They do charge for car parking separately from the rent ($37 per vehicle/month, IIRC). However, there are separate bike storage rooms available to residents free of charge, and those are pretty secure.

4. It is anticipated that the construction of the new LCC building at 10th Avenue and Charnelton will start at some point in the next year or two if LCC gets their financing package together. Expect some daytime construction noise, especially in the apartments facing Charnelton Street.

Other than that, I would recommend Broadway Place Apartments. The mix of residents there is pretty eclectic (some international students, retirees, mid-career professionals, families with children, etc.); overall, we were very happy with our neighbors there, as well as the apartments themselves.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,258,335 times
Thanks for the detailed post! All very good points, it sounds like the review I read was from someone who had an outside-facing apartment. Good point on avoiding the summer heat as well. I don't mind paying for parking (this is a downtown project, $37 is cheap!) I hope they have more urban living in Eugene in the future.

Does Eugene get that hot in the summer? 80's? 90's? Is it mainly heat waves of a week or two, or is it consistent? Is the humidity bad ...? Or is it mainly that the apartment buildings soak up the heat during the day?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:07 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,578,089 times
While visiting Eugene last week and resting for a while in the Public Library (northwest corner of the second floor) we noticed the apartments you must be talking about. Looked very nice, and added some color to the attractive view through the trees. Also noticed the gaping hole across the street... so Lane Community College will be building there? Should be good for downtown businesses.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Does Eugene get that hot in the summer? 80's? 90's? Is it mainly heat waves of a week or two, or is it consistent? Is the humidity bad ...? Or is it mainly that the apartment buildings soak up the heat during the day?
Summers are great here, with highs in upper 70's - low 80's, cool nights, low humidity, little precipitation and lots of sunshine. Also, hardly any mosquitoes, which is nice. However, last year there was a heat wave in late July - early August when the highs topped 100F for three days in a row. It seems like a lot of older homes don't have AC around here, perhaps because you really don't need it except on a few really hot days.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Also noticed the gaping hole across the street... so Lane Community College will be building there? Should be good for downtown businesses.
Yes, they will be building to fill the hole at 10th Avenue and Charnelton Street and the surface parking lot next door. It is my understanding that they are still a few million dollars short from finalizing their financing package, but hopefully it will all come together in the next few months (they have over 90% of necessary funds committed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area