U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,663 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from Louisiana to Brownsville, just north of Eugene. I'm getting really depressed...it's rained for almost 20 days in a row with very little sunshine. I haven't officially purchased my house, so I'm not permanently locked in yet. Are there any other places nearby that have more sun? What about Bend or Redmond?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,870,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiirwin80 View Post
I recently moved from Louisiana to Brownsville, just north of Eugene. I'm getting really depressed...it's rained for almost 20 days in a row with very little sunshine. I haven't officially purchased my house, so I'm not permanently locked in yet. Are there any other places nearby that have more sun? What about Bend or Redmond?
Bend historically has more sunshine than anywhere west of the Cascades (according to the weather data). However, this year it has been a long, rainy winter and spring. We have been consistently below average temperature wise and above average precipitation wise this spring. This weekend is supposed to be nice though, although I imagine that's the same for the western side as well.

If you are talking about long term, the PNW just does not have the sun in the winter. Bend and Redmond do have more sunny days, but we also have quite a few cloudy days as well. I wouldn't purchase that home until you know for sure you can handle the weather. I've been in Bend for almost 2 years and I'm still not used to it. I moved here from CO, where they really do live up to the claim of 300 days of sunshine. Bend claims this as well, but I can assure you it's not!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM

57 posts, read 155,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiirwin80 View Post
I recently moved from Louisiana to Brownsville, just north of Eugene. I'm getting really depressed...it's rained for almost 20 days in a row with very little sunshine.
No offense to anyone, but... I moved to Eugene from the deep South also. Whenever the rainy weather or the high pollen count gets me down, I just try to put things in perspective and remember that I no longer have to put up with extremist right-wing politics, hurricanes, unbearable heat for 6 months every year with high humidity, palmetto bugs, confederate flag-waivers, religious nuts pushing their agenda down everybody's throat, corrupt politicians running state and local governments, substandard schools, high levels of violent crime, oil spills, racial tensions, etc., and then I don't feel so bad about living in the Pacific Northwest.

Actually, I am starting to like the rain and the frequent weather changes here, the rainbows especially... Excessive sunshine is not good for the skin anyway!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 PM

5,714 posts, read 7,100,198 times
I lived in Eugene for 2 years and really liked it. Some people do have SAD and need treatment with light boxes etc. If you have the option to back out of your house purchase and you are already having problems, maybe you should explore that. You should do what's best for you right now. Maybe you are just finding that the climate won't work for you. I think the nearest sunshine might be down in southern Oregon (Ashland) or maybe across the California border. I was told that a lot of people in the NW fly to Hawaii during the winter to get away from the gray skies and rain.

Not to scare you, but there is also grass pollen that you need to think about. Some people are very allergic to it. Then there are the wood fireplaces in the winter which put out a lot of soot. There are some folks that aren't really bothered by that, especially if you live up in the hills.

Last edited by zitsky; 06-08-2010 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Added links

Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 AM

640 posts, read 1,478,916 times
Wow, I really feel bad for you. If 20 days of rain is already depressing you really need to find someplace sunnier to live, because that sounds pretty normal to me. How long have you been living there? Because it's going to be like that for about 8 months a year. Have you tried the SF bay area (like San Jose maybe)? It's really, really expensive but people say that you're paying for the weather.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,796,272 times
I grew up in Texas. Did you know that the south actually gets more rain (in inches) than we do here in Eugene? It just feels like more because it's cooler here and we often have more cloud cover. It's actually really nice once you adjust. Keep hot drinks with you (that's why tea and coffee and chai and cider - all HOT, of course - are bigger things out here than they seemed to be in the South, I think...)

Today if you want sunshine - go outside. I'm looking out my window right now and it's gorgeous. I take a walk every day with my husband and often just getting outside for an hour you'll get some sunshine as the clouds part for a bit. The weather changes quickly here so you just have to be ready to enjoy it when your favorite sort comes along.

This has been a really rainy spring, though. But at least we don't have hurricanes and our beaches aren't full of tar and oil crud. The insect and creepy crawly situation here is much better, too! And in my experience the humidity here is MUCH more tolerable.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 7,838 times
I moved from Eugene to Bend. I hated it at first because I was so used to the lush green landscape. The transition to the high desert was a little off putting - everything looked dirty and orange. I moved to Portland 6 years ago and now I am trying to move back to Bend because I miss the sun! Instead of cloud cover and rain all winter you get snow, cloud cover, and clear skies. It is truly beautiful, go visit - spend at least a week there to get a feel for it. There are a lot of outdoor activities all year (Summerfest, Winterfest) but there is the chance that the pass will close in the winter and you will be snowed in. Bend takes some getting used to, but I fell in love with it pretty quickly.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,580 times
Try living in Folsom CA because your wife has relatives there. We Get at least 30 days per yr of 100 degree + weather. Give me Portland, Bend or Southern Oregon ... Its all good. Also besides being too hot in California, there are too many people, too many cars and too much polution and crime. Everywhere you go that might be interesting ... there's a line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area