Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:43 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I would say Rome is probably more humid / muggy than California. Much of Italy is kinda muggy in the summer, although not on US South East levels. Spain appears to be overall drier.

Also there is hardly a rainy season in Europe, it depends on areas / cities. Winter is often rainier in mediterranean locales, but there are places in central europe that tend to get more precipitation in the summer months. The city I grew up in has a spring maximum for example.

Also, the Pacific North West has distinctly rainy winters and distinctly dry summers. I would say that similar climates in Europe tend to have more evenly distributed precipitation throughout the year, and overall more changeable weather, although summers are usually sunnier than winters.

As you go eastward, the continentality increases and the weather tends to be more stable overall, and some climates tend to be pretty similar to the US Midwest although drier / cloudier and with fewer extremes and abrupt changes.
I'd say the weather in Rome is comparable to Dallas, TX. Hot and moderately humid, more than California but less than the Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 06:41 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It amazes me how the oceans can affect the climate the way they do. If my city (Boston) were in Europe, it would be about 20 or 30 miles north of Rome yet we definitely do not get Rome like weather.
irelands latitude is north of boston up in canada yet our winters are not anywhere near as cold as that of the north east of the usa , the gulf stream distorts our climate completely

i dont think anywhere in the usa has comparable weather to ireland or scotland , americans tend to view seattle and washington state as wet but its dry compared to ireland and a lot sunnier , also gets colder winter than ireland

the average winter tempreture in ireland is 7 degrees while the average summer tempreture is 15 , overall , europe has a much more temprate climate than the usa

Old 08-03-2017, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
You think the extremes in rain, snow, and heat throughout Europe are "more temperate" than the extremes in the US? Wow. I'd say they're similar when it comes to extremes and that in both vast land swaths, there is a lot of moderate weather in between the extremes.

That being said, we do tend to have more severe storms - but one of the things I really missed when I lived in Germany was the big thunderstorms I was used to in the southern US.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You think the extremes in rain, snow, and heat throughout Europe are "more temperate" than the extremes in the US? Wow. I'd say they're similar when it comes to extremes and that in both vast land swaths, there is a lot of moderate weather in between the extremes.

That being said, we do tend to have more severe storms - but one of the things I really missed when I lived in Germany was the big thunderstorms I was used to in the southern US.
yes i do ! , im not including russia however and they dont get tornados

Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
yes i do ! , im not including russia however and they dont get tornados
Ok well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

A lot of this boils down to personal preference though. Personally I prefer abundant sunshine with the occasional spectacular storm, than days and weeks of overcast and rainy weather in a row. But hey, that's just me!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:06 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
irelands latitude is north of boston up in canada yet our winters are not anywhere near as cold as that of the north east of the usa , the gulf stream distorts our climate completely

i dont think anywhere in the usa has comparable weather to ireland or scotland , americans tend to view seattle and washington state as wet but its dry compared to ireland and a lot sunnier , also gets colder winter than ireland

the average winter tempreture in ireland is 7 degrees while the average summer tempreture is 15 , overall , europe has a much more temprate climate than the usa
Seattle is in a rain shadow from the Olympic mountains to the west, if you go directly on the coast the summers become even more mild, and gets wetter and gloomier.

Here are some coastal climates in OR and WA

Brookings, OR
Newport, OR
Astoria, OR
Ocean Shores, WA
Forks, WA (*slightly inland)
Tatoosh Island, WA

Old 08-03-2017, 03:05 PM

21 posts, read 26,689 times
Harrishawke I can't think of any other places in the US that would be more similar to the Mediterranean climate than of coastal Southern California. Harri....I have lived in South Florida for many wonderful years, and I must say.....it was the closest place in the whole U.S. that had Summers similar to what I was used to in Rome.....super hot and humid.......minus the hurricanes of course.....LOL.....

Old 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,362 times
Quote:

If you take Russia and the far north of Scandinavia out of the equation, then yes, the US does generally have greater extremes than Europe.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Ok well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

A lot of this boils down to personal preference though. Personally I prefer abundant sunshine with the occasional spectacular storm, than days and weeks of overcast and rainy weather in a row. But hey, that's just me!
i prefer that kind of climate too , i dont like the climate in ireland , i still stand by what i said earlier however

Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
If you take Russia and the far north of Scandinavia out of the equation, then yes, the US does generally have greater extremes than Europe.
Why would I take Scandinavia out of the equation? Or Spain (check out Madrid's temps this week)?

I thought we were talking about Europe -- not just part of Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe