Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 PM

168 posts, read 772,648 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Europe from Texas in a few years with my family. My husband is English and I'm a US citizen. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding out about schools, jobs, climate, and other general local information in France and Spain because most of the info is in French or a form of Spanish I'm finding difficult. Of course I'll learn the language once I decide which language I need to learn, but first I'm looking for sources of information that can help us narrow down the search.

Ideally I want a small town within easy commute to a small to mid-size city where we can find jobs (manufacturing and nursing) and hopefully, where we can afford an acre or two with a house we can renovate. I really want mild weather and a nice view of mountains, rivers, forests... anything other than concrete and buildings.

I've been told southern France/northern Spain is ideal, but I wouldn't mind going to Italy, Switzerland or Belgium if I can find the right place.

If anyone can give me a place to start looking and sources of information, I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Try
EscapeArtist Home Page: Living Overseas - International Real Estate, Overseas Jobs - Expatriate Resources - Overseas Retirement I think it's an expat site for Americans and they might be able to give you some good advice.
Bear in mind that property is more expensive in Europe ( a lot less land than in the US so it's at a premium).
In France I would recommend the South West ( Dordogne, Gascony that sort of place). Manufacturing wise you would be better off trying to find jobs in Toulouse ( big university and manufacturing city) , large-ish English speaking community and you could live in the country side on the outskirts, also Bordeaux ( for the same reasons). Unemployment is higher in France but Bordeaux and Toulouse are both quite wealthy cities. Public transport is excellent too.
Also try :
Bordeaux British Community ( Bordeaux British community)
Portal for Work Abroad, Study Abroad, Cultural Travel and Living Overseas.
www.frenchlinks.org (broken link)
They might be able to help.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about Spain to tell you anything about it though.

Hope that helps, all the nest and good luck for your move !

Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 12,037 times
Hello !

There is a little town in south-west of France : PAU
Not too big as Toulouse or Bordeaux
Nice old town
University
Industries
Mountains 60km
Atlantic ocean 110km
Ville de Pau - Pau.fr - Accueil
Site officiel du tourisme et des congrès de Pau-Pyrénées

Hope that helps you ...

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-16-2007 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: no advertising, si vous plait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe