U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 PM

75 posts, read 266,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Caligari View Post
Hey people,

very nice topic indeed. I am also in the same dillema and there is no meaning to make a new topic.

1st question: does anybody knows the difference in living costs between the two cities? I would like if someone really has experience, to say actual costs.

I was in vienna for a semester as an erasmus student and, frankly, it seemed to me a bit LESS expensive than ATHENS where I live. Weird, huh?

2nd question: about working opportunities, a comparison would be nice.

I am a bit sceptic because more and more people gather to berlin, students or not, because it is really a hotspot and a ''trendy'' in a way place to be, mostly due to the political situation there, which i also admire. However, this may lead to unemployment and lower salaries, as someone mentioned before. Can this be true?

i will study as a PhD pharmacy student either in the University of Vienna or Freie Universitaet Berlin and the decision is really really difficult so please, i need your help!
thank you very much!
Hm, when it comes to cost of living Berlin is definitely cheaper, but I don't know the exact numbers. I know Vienna quite well but have been to Berlin only once, but I do follow german news and watch german TV, and there is a TV-show where they follow real estate agents, and it seems that quite nice one-bedroom apartments in Berlin are to be had for 400 euros a month, which is comparable to Vienna, a bit cheaper. Prices in supermarkets are cheaper in Germany because in Austria two big supermarket companies control the market, and everything else is a bit cheaper because of the higher sales tax and the higher wages in Austria. But if you've spent a semester in Vienna you're familiar to the prices, so take a bit off and you've got german prices . Be aware that also salaries in Berlin are known to be quite low, and so in the end Vienna could be the better choice when it comes to a good balance between costs and income. I always found Vienna to be quite cheap.

Berlin is known for it's high unemployment and low salaries in the german-speaking countries, but the situation is getting better, while Vienna is, together with Munich, Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Zurich and Frankfurt one of the wealthiest german-speaking cities. But I would say that with a PhD in pharmacy you probably won't have problems finding a job in either Vienna or Berlin.

When it comes to the political situation, yes Vienna is not as much to the left as Berlin, but it has a Red-Green government, so it is still not a conservative city. Vienna has had a left majority in every free election since 1918 and is very proud of its social-democratic tradition. It can be a bit backwards at times but I would never call it conservative.

Berlin or Vienna is a very personal choice. If you like to party hard, a big modern arts and fashion scene Berlin is definitely the better choice, but Vienna can offer a much higher quality of living when it comes to safety, public transportation, the job market and is also generally a more beautiful city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,191,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDinganSich View Post
Young graduate, looking to start a new life in Berlin or Vienna. I am asking people who are experienced with either city to help provide me with a better understanding, not necessarily make up my mind for me. My German is good but I can improve once I am there. Here are some things I can attribute to:

-Fond of old world architecture
-Very left leaning(Shouldn't be too much of an issue since large European cities are cosmopolitan and overwhelmingly liberal)
-Nightlife is good and lively
-City is generally lively and interesting

Things I can already tell is that Berlin has cheaper rent and both have excellent public transportation. I have 11K in savings and I am from the USA.
Berlin and Vienna have amazing architecture, but if you are looking for "old world" then the best option is Vienna. You should choose Berlin for nightlife quality and quantity.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,628 times
Corcorangirl thank you very much for your answer, it was really helpful!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,396 times
I´m not german and I speak the language. I live since 3 years in Berlin and I can only say:

DO NOT MOVE HERE!!!

I´ve been in the last months visiting Vienna and planning to move there. My reasons are the following ones:
1. Berlin is really ghetto. All dirty, all ****ed up by People who have no civism, etc. The City Hall doesn´t give a **** about it. And then there are People who says that is the consecuence of freedom and it´s ok that the City is dirty...
2. The Underground is a hell. Always too late, always the Trains don´t come- the line is cut, etc. Besides that the monthly ticket is expensive and it will be yet more expensive. And everything broken.
3. Not secure at all. No policement on the streets, a lot of robery, a lot of Prostitution, a lot of bad ****.
4. A big unemployment rate and a lot of discrimination from Jobcenter towards immigrants who work. Which is the most stupid Thing they can do. If you´re Immigrant and you don´t work you´re in a worse Situation yet.
5. There is such a chaos, that the Jobcenter doesn´t control if your employer pays you what the law says- Germany has a Minimum wage per hour, not per month... than means your employer can pay you less, declaring you worked less than what you actually did.
6. The Berlin dialect is not easy to understand... and if you don´t, the berliners get pissed off and it´s either the right way to finish learning German. Moreover it´s hard to find nice and honest People. People may be easygoing but they´re not gonna do a solid friendship with you.
7. A lot of cheating if you get a girlfriend there... and prepare yourself to be elected as "the man" for your economical Status. Germany has still a lot of classism.
8. In Austria you get paid 14 times per year meanwhile in Germany 12. Also there´s everytime more and more Neonazis from Brandenburg and both Saxons in Berlin...
9. A lot of homeless People begging on the streets and the Underground. I don´t know what the Hall City does, but they don´t seem to help them.
10. The rents become more and more expensive, and you may Need in a future to live in the border with Brandenburg or even in Brandenburg already if you want something gut und günstig.
11. And the healthcare System is a BIG S**T. I come from a Country in Europe which has one of the best healthcare Systems and... well, I come back on Holidays home to get my health checked. Here they are simply not competent and you Need to wait a lot to get an appointment.
12. Gay wedding ist either legal here... Germans are either better than Austrians in racism and classism.

My experience is NO more Berlin. And I don´t care if there´s more immigrants here or the Party is better. I want life Quality.
The German governments use their Population like cows. They explode them without an end. If you want good Quality life, Germany and Berlin are not ok for you. Really.

Anyways, you can try and decide what you like more...

Old 10-19-2015, 06:26 PM

10,276 posts, read 9,341,349 times
Vienna looks and feels much more affluent. It's a much more refined, complete city. Much more beautiful.

On the other hand, Berlin is probably more exciting, dynamic, cheaper and more youth-oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe