Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,881,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Americans are fine ones, to complain about a French attitude of their own national superiority.
Well said, jtr88.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Great post. This statement, in particular.
The US and France have more in common than one might want to believe.

I really have a hard time understanding how anyone can think that the French are rude.

Tourists do bring out the worst in people, though.
Taking flash photos in the Louvre; stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to gawk as people are trying to get to work, etc. That type of behavior might bring out the worst in me.
Paris is just a large capital city; no different from Seoul, Bangkok, New York, Berlin, London, etc.

My French is so bad that people ask me to speak English, and I'm great with tourist charades.
That said, I spend lots of time in France and am pondering it for retirement. The architecture and history are amazing.
I agree with all of your remarks, especially the ones I bolded.
I've visited France a lot, was just there last month, one of my kids lives there.
I enjoy the history, the geography, the food, the wine.
I have not had trouble with rudeness there, but my kid tells me that the stereotypes about labyrinthian French bureaucracy do have some truth to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 PM

59 posts, read 133,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Well said, jtr88.
I have not had trouble with rudeness there, but my kid tells me that the stereotypes about labyrinthian French bureaucracy do have some truth to them.

Hello,

I don't agree with you. I'm french and I've been living in the US for 2 years now and i'm shocked about the bureaucracy here ! You need to have a license/permits for almost everything.

Yes taxes in France are much higher, yes we have too many civil workers but the processes are much more efficient than in the us, in my humble opinion, and there's more economical freedom also.

Maybe my experience in Miami is not reflecting what's happening in all states but this is what i feel, and this is making me want to move out actually to an another state see if things are better because i can't stand anymore the life in Florida (the terrible work ethic in the Miami area beeing the most important part of my decision ).

Old 01-15-2012, 05:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,767,749 times
I visited France a couple years ago and I thought that the countryside was much nicer than the cities. I stayed in Paris for a couple nights and it was so dirty and filled with sex shops. Not really my style.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM

2,920 posts, read 5,218,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I visited France a couple years ago and I thought that the countryside was much nicer than the cities. I stayed in Paris for a couple nights and it was so dirty and filled with sex shops. Not really my style.
I do think that Paris is a bit overrated, there is much more to France than that. I never understood what the big deal about the Eiffel tower was, I think it's quite an ugly piece of architecture.

Last edited by Vichel; 01-16-2012 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Orphaned text

Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,447,925 times
Lille in northern France is wonderful - been there once, it's twinned with my city, I advise going!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,181,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It's selfish, but I'm glad to see the Euro slide as that make a visit more affordable.
It hasn't done that big a slide.
Instead of getting .68 to the dollar, you're getting .74 with bank charges added on.
But do visit no matter the cost. You'll have a delightful time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Funny, I travel to Paris and the countryside both.
Where in Paris were you?
I see it as being filled with cafes, museums, architecture and patisseries.
I guess we all see what we want to see.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,821,445 times
Not the same city indeed chielgirl . I live in Paris actually and I can vouch for it, there are not only "cafés (more and more Starboucks, by the way, very Parisian ?) and patisseries" . Paris is overall a dirty, crowded city with works litterally everywhere, holes in the sidewalks, people are squeezed in buses and metros. I guess you live in the 16th arrondissemnt.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,447,925 times
I've been to Paris more then once. Stunning place, but a lot of the architecture just looks the same after a while. Once you've seen one row of Georgian buildings, you've seen them all..

Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,549,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've been to Paris more then once. Stunning place, but a lot of the architecture just looks the same after a while. Once you've seen one row of Georgian buildings, you've seen them all..

Georgian buildings ? In Paris ? Which King George would that be ? Most of the Parisian Architecture is mid 19th Century ( Haussman having designed most of the city as is known to tourists) and would be Napoleon the Third.

At best it would be "Victorian Era" but it most certainly is not Georgian. Edinburgh New Town and Bath are Georgian and are nothing like Paris. I guess architecture and history are not your strong points.

Paris also has some superb Art Nouveau and Art Deco Architecture as well as much older Architecture like the beautiful Place des Vosges, Tuileries, Louvre etc...

Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Not the same city indeed chielgirl . I live in Paris actually and I can vouch for it, there are not only "cafés (more and more Starboucks, by the way, very Parisian ?) and patisseries" . Paris is overall a dirty, crowded city with works litterally everywhere, holes in the sidewalks, people are squeezed in buses and metros. I guess you live in the 16th arrondissemnt.

----

She probably rented a very cheap hostel or pension that she found in Internet and ended at a very seedy place. The same thing happens in Barcelona, some tourists rent in places I would not sleep with three bottles of wine on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe