Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,088,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I doubt it. Where in my post did I mention people accusing the French of "not wanting to speak English because of their accent"? I said the exact opposite and anyone with half a brain can see that. If I have to spell it out even further: Olivieroma was saying that when French people don't speak English, it's not necessarily out of arrogance but many are just afraid to make mistakes. This claim of the French being too arrogant to speak English and plainly "refusing" it is a well-known stereotype, one that you in your contempt of anything French undoubtedly hold. That is why I responded that it's strange how people do not accuse people of other countries (Spain, Italy, Latin America) of being "arrogant" when they don't speak English well. I can't believe I'm even explaining this stuff Anyway, I already know this is gonna be another fruitless discussion because you just don't realise when you're plain wrong, so I will just say that I'm not gonna comment on this silly stuff anymore. Let's get back on topic.

----

Linda

I live 100 miles from France and I visit the place frequently, and yes, many French won't talk English or Spanish to you just because they don't want.

More incredible, you find Spanish immigrants that have been living in France many years but that speak Spanish, and they won't speak Spanish to people from Spain.

Even more incredible, you find people in France that still speak Catalan (Northern Catalans) and they won't speak Catalan to Southern Catalans from Spain.

Of course, there are many exceptions. I always go to a restaurant with Moroccans waithers that speak practically any language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 AM

2,920 posts, read 5,219,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Lille in northern France is wonderful - been there once, it's twinned with my city, I advise going!
Oh yes, Lille is wonderful! Did you see the metrostation Lille-Europe with all the paintings on the wall? It was beautiful I took some pictures with my phone when I was there but unfortunately they're not really clear, the paintings depict the main sites of all European countries. Here are some of them:

Here's a better one from Wikipedia:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Lille_Europe_Metro.JPG/800px-Lille_Europe_Metro.JPG (broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM

1,330 posts, read 2,590,994 times
Many people often expect Paris to be a fairytale place, almost like a theme park, only made of love, romance, museums, mode like they see in many movie.
They should wake up, Paris is a major city with 12 million inhabitants and it works like any major cities of this size (with all the positive things and flaws).
They can find many of the following things (love, romance...) in Paris but they should understand that it is not what makes the city.

Once this is understood, you can really apreciate the city.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 AM

191 posts, read 785,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Many people often expect Paris to be a fairytale place, almost like a theme park, only made of love, romance, museums, mode like they see in many movie.
They should wake up, Paris is a major city with 12 million inhabitants and it works like any major cities of this size (with all the positive things and flaws).
They can find many of the following things (love, romance...) in Paris but they should understand that it is not what makes the city.

I'd still visit Paris. No city is perfect. My other favorite city, San Francisco, has about the same flaws as any city but when I first visited the place, I had smiles in my face all the time.

Note: make sure you have very good brakes when you visit Frisco .. most of the roads are steep (20-40 degrees angle).

Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM

69 posts, read 217,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Lille in northern France is wonderful - been there once, it's twinned with my city, I advise going!
Lille <-> Leeds forever

Some photos of Lille

Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,453,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Georgian buildings ? In Paris ? Which King George would that be ? Most of the Parisian Architecture is mid 19th Century ( Haussman having designed most of the city as is known to tourists) and would be Napoleon the Third.

At best it would be "Victorian Era" but it most certainly is not Georgian. Edinburgh New Town and Bath are Georgian and are nothing like Paris. I guess architecture and history are not your strong points.

Paris also has some superb Art Nouveau and Art Deco Architecture as well as much older Architecture like the beautiful Place des Vosges, Tuileries, Louvre etc...
Actually, I take a great interest in architecture and history, but I'm not sure if there is a specific name for the style of buildings used in Paris like there is in most other cities. I probably should have known they're not Georgian (seeing as Georgian is restricted to the Anglosphere and the time they were built), there's plenty of Georgian architecture in my city that looks nothing at all like Paris - no need to be rude though, simple (or foolish!) msitake.

Perhaps I was kinda harsh though, Paris is great anyway, but I prefer Lille

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 01-16-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,376,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

I've been to Paris a few times, being from the UK Eurostar brought it even closer. Like any major city, it has problems. It's not a fairly tale or a living museum for Americans to gawk at how quaint they think it is. It's a big city with big city problems, just like London.

I've noticed many Americans go there and end up wondering why people were rude to them, when they made no effort to speak French, or they expected service like they'd get in Appleby's in French restaurants, wondering why the waiter would get pissed off when they demanded the bill, or started rearranging the tables and chairs.

Aside from the attractions, I enjoyed the street life in Paris, riding the Metro and exploring La Defense, which is overlooked by tourists. Paris and London are not museums...they are big cities.

France is a great country though, but to appreciate it, it helps to at least try to speak some French out of respect.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,375,315 times
France is interesting and it is a beautiful country. I like visiting but I wouldn't want to live there unless it was on the Mediterranean coast. I like the aire of the people from Marseille and the area around it.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,376,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanty View Post
Lille <-> Leeds forever

Some photos of Lille
Lille is probably the most British looking city I've been to outside of the UK or Ireland. It was quite uncanny to see terraced houses that could well have been in Leeds!

Good football team too. No wonder Joe Cole is happy there...more English footballers should play there as there's not much of a culture shock.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 AM

120 posts, read 166,580 times
Spoiler
Actually, I take a great interest in architecture and history, but I'm not sure if there is a specific name for the style of buildings used in Paris like there is in most other cities. I probably should have known they're not Georgian (seeing as Georgian is restricted to the Anglosphere and the time they were built), there's plenty of Georgian architecture in my city that looks nothing at all like Paris - no need to be rude though, simple (or foolish!) msitake.

The style of most of the buildings in Paris is called "Haussmannien". Rue de Rivoli or Avenue de l'Opéra You, what do you think about France?-ave-de-lop-ra.jpeg are perfect examples of this style. Under Napoleon III "Le Baron Haussmann modernized Paris taking London as a model of healthiness. In enlarging the streets, he also permitted to fight the uprising of the Parisians (an old tradition ) with guns, witch was not possible on the old narrow streets of the time (you can visit those streets in "the cartier Latin" for instance)You, what do you think about France?-cartier-latin.jpeg.
Indeed, it's what appended in 1870/1871 to end the "commune de Paris".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe