Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,376,983 times

Advertisements

I love Brittany in particular. Put France & Cornwall in a blender and you get a great result. Such friendly people too who always made me feel welcome when I've been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,131,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I agree completely. I went to the Eiffel Tower as well. It was cool overlooking the land, but seriously, I don't get what all the fuss is about. Too many tourists and the structure itself is loaded with graffiti. Maybe it was good decades ago when tourists weren't stupid to vandalize it.

I don't remember the exact town but I remember staying in Paris for a couple nights. The town I was in was quiet and not too far from all the major tourist destinations. The cafes and museums were alright, but a lot of what I thought Paris was didn't exist.
Graffiti is old. Some years ago I visited the Southern city of Arles and walked within the Roman colliseum. In many places the stones had dates and initials carved. Some from the late 1890s.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM

820 posts, read 946,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Greece got into the situation they are in because the government accumulated too much debt. This has nothing to do with the amount of hours worked per year.
The Greek are, apparently, working quite a bit. Now, if they all would pay their taxes...

Surprised France was able to hold onto the 35 work week for so long.
Because France has the most efficient economy in the world. (even if people can't understand it)
We can retire at 60/62, work less than other countries, benefit from the best pensions, have free health care (however some people pay some euros to be entirely covered), free education, highest patrimony per adult (close to 300 000 dollars) in the world after Switzerland and Australia (average and median patrimony per adult), we have a lot of vacation (between 7 and 10 weeks)
Unemployed people receive more money than the workers in Germany...
France's debt is quite the same as Germany's debt, lower than US or Uk's debt. It increases by 3,7% vs 8,7% in UK, and in USA it is like XX%.

Economic Growth means nothing!

Last edited by amaroW; 01-03-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 01:05 PM

820 posts, read 946,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I find it funny that you can go to most countries in the world where people barely speak English and people are fine with it, but when it's the French all of a sudden it's because they "refuse" it or are too "arrogant" for it Why aren't people complaining about Spain or Italy or Latin America? I doubt people there speak English better than the French do.
Yes! Infact, it is just because they have a bad accent and are ashamed of it.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 PM

4,654 posts, read 4,569,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpines View Post
Don't worry, you're right.. French people (we) are rude, and it is true, a little arrogant: unfortunately! But thank you for you opinion of the France, if you have to define our culture with only 3 adjectives, what will they?
Glad that you admit that,like your honesty.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM

4,654 posts, read 4,569,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I've been to Paris a few times, being from the UK Eurostar brought it even closer. Like any major city, it has problems. It's not a fairly tale or a living museum for Americans to gawk at how quaint they think it is. It's a big city with big city problems, just like London.

I've noticed many Americans go there and end up wondering why people were rude to them, when they made no effort to speak French, or they expected service like they'd get in Appleby's in French restaurants, wondering why the waiter would get pissed off when they demanded the bill, or started rearranging the tables and chairs.

Aside from the attractions, I enjoyed the street life in Paris, riding the Metro and exploring La Defense, which is overlooked by tourists. Paris and London are not museums...they are big cities.

France is a great country though, but to appreciate it, it helps to at least try to speak some French out of respect.
I would say the same for french tourist traveling overseas expecting everybody to speak french (in Africa particularly)

Old 01-03-2014, 04:07 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,912,646 times
On my visits to France visiting rural tourist spots, I found the tourist leaflets for places were printed only in French. Most other countries will have them in two or three languages.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,517,478 times
I'll be in Paris for 4 days in August and dknt speak a lick of French. Am I doomed?

Also apparently you aren't supposed to ask for the bill at a restaurant?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,690,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Also apparently you aren't supposed to ask for the bill at a restaurant?
We do this all the time at restaurants and cafes and never had a problem. "The bill" translates as "l'addition" in French, in case language is the problem.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,517,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
We do this all the time at restaurants and cafes and never had a problem. "The bill" translates as "l'addition" in French, in case language is the problem.
Great. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe