Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,983 posts, read 53,651,382 times
Reputation: 15184

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Don't buy an apartment above a shop, bar or restaurant.
Living above a restaurant was good enough for the would-have-been Ottoman emperor and caliph of Islam.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/26/re...2&oref=slogin&

Not bad for $350 /month:

His tenant, Ertugrul Osman, would become the Ottoman sultan — the head of a dynasty that ruled from 1299 to 1924, when the Turkish Republic was established. The job would come with a house in Istanbul, the 285-room Dolmabahce Palace, now a museum.

New York law, not to mention noblesse oblige, would require the sultan to surrender his two-bedroom apartment over a restaurant on Lexington Avenue in the 70's. He has lived there since 1945, and his rent is $350 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 PM
 
Location: SE UK
14,824 posts, read 12,088,434 times
Reputation: 9819
I'm sorry but I find the French to be the most arrogant people on the planet, I know of course that its probably a bit unfair to tar them all with the same brush but I'm afraid I dislike France and the French more than any other nation. Tout alors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 AM
 
2,238 posts, read 3,332,642 times
Reputation: 424
I absolutely love France. The gastronomy of France is amazing and out of this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 AM
 
Location: Pérouges
586 posts, read 833,184 times
Reputation: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm sorry but I find the French to be the most arrogant people on the planet, I know of course that its probably a bit unfair to tar them all with the same brush but I'm afraid I dislike France and the French more than any other nation. Tout alors!
"Tout alors!" All then? Is this a philosophical comment?

You say "I'm afraid I dislike France and the French more than any other nation." Would that be an indication that you have a list of disliked countries or a distinction held by France alone, not that it matters really I suppose. You find the French to be arrogant but feel comfortable using an all encompassing description to describe an entire countries population, does that not have in itself an air of arrogance. Surely I should now assume that all English are the same and I should "tar them all with the same brush", however that would be a little small minded and no-one wants to give in to that way of thinking.

I can understand not liking parts of a country or some of it's inhabitants but yours is quite a sweeping generalisation which, in fairness, you do acknowledge.

I'm not inclined to make assumptions but if I were I might assume that you are not of the most cheerful disposition and therefore neither were your countrymen... although, of course, that would be wholly unfounded... wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 03:41 AM
 
Location: Near Tours, France about 47°10'N 0°25'E
2,825 posts, read 5,278,676 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm afraid I dislike France and the French more than any other nation. Tout alors!
What a surprise from you !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 AM
 
5,781 posts, read 11,895,376 times
Reputation: 4662
Default The world has no obligation to love France

And you know, us Frenchmen we do take craps like you, we don't **** rose petals!
I'm fed of people of those arse lickers who put us on a pedestal (for political reasons usually, because we are deemed liberal and leftist).
The only France I feel loyalty to is Old King's France :

guerre de vendée - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 04:20 AM
 
545 posts, read 868,551 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
And you know, us Frenchmen we do take craps like you, we don't **** rose petals!
I'm fed of people of those arse lickers who put us on a pedestal (for political reasons usually, because we are deemed liberal and leftist).
The only France I feel loyalty to is Old King's France :

guerre de vendée - YouTube
Vendéens were not fighting for the King. But because the new Republic forbidden the Vendéens to see the "Prêtres Réfractaires", because the Republic increased taxes and, for the first time, the State ordered military conscription. The monarchy was only a way to stop those three things. When the King were imprisoned and the Republic created, the Vendéens didn't move a finger.
Still the main cause by far, were the fact the Republic prevented the very religious Vendéens to see their priests. The war ended when the Republic gave back this right (and killed like a third of the population of the Vendée Militaire).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 AM
 
199 posts, read 337,657 times
Reputation: 69
I will just make a list of words and things that immediately come to my mind when I think about France:

-French bread
-mimes
-Eiffel Tower
-French chefs (with that unique mustache)
-Lascaux caves
-Napoleon
-Oui. Oui. Oui!
-French tricolor
-Louvre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,646 posts, read 3,496,326 times
Reputation: 1163
My opinion about France:

-People are nice except on Paris, in other cities I was really wellcomed and felt like at home.
-Food is overrated, ok, it is healthy and not bad, not different from Spanish one, but it was one of the countries where I ate in worse quality...
-Cities and towns are wondeful, I love those streets and buildings, big parks, and one of my favourite countries to live if I had to change.
- Desserts are yummy!!
- I love sales in fashion stores, really good ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Pérouges
586 posts, read 833,184 times
Reputation: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The world has no obligation to love France
Indeed it does not.

Surely though the worlds population should be intelligent enough (I know, i'm asking a lot) to make up their own minds and research or visit rather than just espouse generalisations? This does of course count for all countries that have a fair share of stereotypes, not just France.

Nationalistic generalisations are a mental crutch for the unimaginative and ill informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top