Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 PM

27,262 posts, read 28,317,220 times

Advertisements

I've been to Paris and Versailles, stayed for a week and visited a lot of the tourist sites. Parisians are very friendly and sociable, in general. And Paris itself is a beautiful and unique city and would certainly rate among the top in the world for me.

In my opinion, Americans as a whole would have a pretty positive view of France. The U.S. and France share a similar western culture and large numbers of French immigrated to the U.S. after all. The city I live in, Washington, D.C. (the U.S. capital), was designed by a Frenchman 220 years ago and is laid out similar to Paris and there are notable similarities even in the architecture. French cuisine is considered to be "elite" in America and there are lots of French restaurants in all the big cities, and even actual French chefs. Then of course there's Louisiana.

So, this should give you an indication of how open the U.S. is to France.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-05-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,131,218 times
Me too! I like French movies. Isabelle Huppert, Daniel Auteuil, Fanny Ardant, Sandrine Kiberlain, Venessa Paradis...ils sont chouette!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 5,464,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpines View Post
Hello, I'm a French student. I have to do a homework about american's vision of France. More precisely about French baker install in america.. If you have any opinion about that, I will be glad to heard it! Thank you for your response
I suppose you mean bakeries. Of course you can find one here and there. However, it's not common.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
I think your country is interesting, but your people like to believe you're better than Americans for some odd reason. It is weird the American-complex so many people there have.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,400,038 times
How would you know? You've never been to France.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
Default It's better in France!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think your country is interesting, but your people like to believe you're better than Americans for some odd reason. It is weird the American-complex so many people there have.
I guess you don't read CD or the US news very much... how about those freedom fries? Idiots from the US selling all of their wines in protest.

The French people that I know (and I know many) don't think of the US one way or another. Well, they did have an opinion about Bush and his wars.

I love France!
I drive for almost 4 hours to shop at Cora in Strasbourg every month or two. I spend at least 4 long weekends a year in the Vosges.

French pastries, ah... baguettes and croissants in France are better than those from Germany. I don't know why that is, but it is so.
Paris Brest is my favorite pastry. Nothing in this world can top them (for me).
German yougurts make US yougurts look like water; French yougurts make German yougurts look like US yougurts.

Fromage!
My friend bought me this book as a present: http://www.amazon.com/French-Cheese-...5852526&sr=1-1.
My favorite French cheese at the moment is Comte. I'm partial to the semi-hard to hard cheeses.

Even my cat prefers French cat food; the neighbor's cat comes for dinner most nights, as well.

In October of this year I spent 10 days in the Loire Valley. Absolutely beautiful.
The French culture is ever reaching; if you're at major archaeological sites throughout the world you'll find small placques that indicate the French have supported the excavation or restoration of major sites.

Carcasonne with it's double walls is a delight! Lille, Metz, Nancy (the home of Art Deco), Sedan, Dijon, the Champagne region, all are delightful.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 AM

36,916 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well, a lot of general opinion was against American policies especially during the Bush era, but that was definitely not just France and included a good chunk of the US as well.

I know several French people living in the US, and while sometimes they dislike some things here, it's a lot of give and take and of course a lot of variation in opinions from one person to another. At least there's little of the kind of rename french stuff to freedom or pour french wine down the drain sort of demonstration happening in France--most of it is just political protest against foreign policy which makes a lot more rational sense to me and seems perfectly acceptable.

As for the topic, I live in New York City and French bread is good here and fairly easy to come by.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
I lived in Marseille as a child and I thought the French school day was too long and there was too much homework. But I enjoyed eating the end part of the French baguette that was my job to buy for my family every morning at the local bakery around the corner from where we lived.
As an adult I visited Paris and I liked it very much.
I have also taught English to French students in NYC and they seemed to be nice people.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,400,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I lived in Marseille as a child and I thought the French school day was too long and there was too much homework. But I enjoyed eating the end part of the French baguette that was my job to buy for my family every morning at the local bakery around the corner from where we lived.
As an adult I visited Paris and I liked it very much.
I have also taught English to French students in NYC and they seemed to be nice people.
Ha! I still eat the end part of the baguette...

Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM

410 posts, read 946,637 times
The difficulty finding French bread in some Midwestern states certainly gives new life the the expression 'a pain in the ass'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe