U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,451,785 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm flying into Cluj-Napoca Romania (cheap flight.. hence the random location) on April 9, and have a flight from Zadar Croatia back to London on 18 april. Trying to backpack through eastern europe for about 9 days. I have a rough itinerary planned out which has me going to Bucharest, Skopje, Sarajevo, and finally a few days in Zadar. My main questions are:
1) Does this sound like a doable route in 9 days using busses/trains?
2) Is there any cities I should substitute with other doable cities?
3) Help me with transportation.. I've found busses and trains within Romania, but it's hard finding information on trains between countries.

Pretty stoked on seeing this part of the world! Thanks in advance for any advice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 PM

295 posts, read 796,398 times
Hey again, WWR

That random location is actually in a very interesting area of Romania and Europe. Cluj is in Transylvania, which is full of great towns with rich medieval heritage left from Saxon Germans, but also Hungarians. Google the places like Brasov, Sibiu, Sighisoara and you may stay in the area a bit longer.

Think you should avoid traveling too far distances, as you might end up in buses and trains most of the time. If I were you, I would plan this to travel westwards once you land in Cluj. No logic to travel east to Bucharest and all the way down to Skopje and then back to the north/west. Most logical way would be: Transylvania – Belgrade – Sarajevo – Croatia. But than again, this is your trip, and you know best what you want.

As for transportation, not sure about Romanian part, but once you reach Sarajevo, use buses to reach Zadar. You will have to go Sarajevo-Split (in Croatia), and then Split-Zadar. Split btw is a nice city with old Roman palace serving even today as the city center; you may stay there for a day.

Sarajevo-Split bus takes 7-8 hours; Split bus station list 4 daily arrivals from Sarajevo. Split-Zadar there are dozens of daily departures, takes about 3h30min and up (if the bus takes the coastal road it stops in many towns and than it takes longer).
AK SPLIT Online :: Timetable
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe