Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Would be interesting to hear about these people...where they mostly live. How accessible are the Turkish? Are they aloof, or quite friendly.

Are they really socially isolated, or is that a media creation, and they actually live and work with Germans just fine?

What's more of the reality here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,066 times
There are Turkish people everywhere here, they live and work like everyone else. Some are more intigrated, others stay more in thier communitys. Kinda like Mexican people in California. I am sitting in my office doing IT support at the Mercedes Global Logistic Center with 2 Poles, 1 Chezch, 1 Türke, 2 Germans, I am the only Ami. Friendly? hmmm...probably easier to approach, more open than your normal German not really more or less friendly. Sure there are cultural diffrences and there is racial tension especially in the bigger citys like Berlin but nothing like in the US.

Any other questions about Turkish people -I was thinking about getting a Dörner on my way home :;-)

Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
What's an Ami?

Oh, just looked it up. It's a term for Americans in German. How fun.

Also, are they hot? The turks. Are they?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM

170 posts, read 768,951 times
I'm currently living in Germany, so my answers are based on my experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Would be interesting to hear about these people...where they mostly live.
I've done some research regarding the German-Turkish Demographics:

There are 3.5 Million people of Turkish origin residing in Germany, hence, any significant (West-German) town/city over 50,000 has a sizeable Turkish community. The largest community by absolute number is Berlin with 200,000 Turks; the largest community by percentage is Duisburg, where up to 20% of the population is of Turkish origin alone. (similar to Bradford, Uk and its Pakistani community in this regard).

Quote:
How accessible are the Turkish? Are they aloof, or quite friendly.
It depends on the age group. Most of the Turkish/Arab/Middle Eastern youths here seem very rude, aggressive and rowdy. Additionally there is a rising number of younger Turks (and other Muslims) who are radical islamic and anti-western.
The elderly people are mostly alright and friendly.

Quote:
Are they really socially isolated, or is that a media creation, and they actually live and work with Germans just fine?
I can't give a decent answer to that question; however, I assume that the working situation and segregation of the German-Turks is similar to other non-western immigrant communities (such as South Asians in Britain, North Africans in France, Hispanics in the U.S. etc.)

An important aspect i've noticed here is the fact that a lot of people do not distinguish between all the Middle Eastern communities. For Instance, if some Middle Eastern-looking thug is beating the **** out of someone, people will often label him as "filthy Turk", although he might be from the numerous Arab or Afghan immigrant community. Seems like "darker skinned Muslim" equals "Turk" in most of Europe just like "Hispanic" equals "Mexican" in the mainstream U.S. society.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Would be interesting to hear about these people...where they mostly live. How accessible are the Turkish? Are they aloof, or quite friendly.

What's more of the reality here?
I read it's more like 5 million of Turkish origin. Exact numbers are impossible to come by because the government does not track people by origin.
"Media creation" ? Which media? U.S. Media? I don't think cities are very integrated there. Most "stick to their own". I blame both ethnic Germans and Germans of whatever descent for this, though.

And how does "darker skinned Muslim" equal "Turk" ? Most Turks are not even dark skinned. That dosen't make any sense - @ the person above me.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What's an Ami?

Oh, just looked it up. It's a term for Americans in German. How fun.

Also, are they hot? The turks. Are they?
No, I imagine anyone living in Germany would be cold most of the time, especially from a warmer country like Turkey .

Man I wonder why so many leave, is Turkey that bad? The idea of living in Istanbul sounds so romantic.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,933 times
Mexico is wealthier than Turkey. Why does nobody want to stay in Mexico ? Very similar situation.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM

29 posts, read 61,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No, I imagine anyone living in Germany would be cold most of the time, especially from a warmer country like Turkey .

Man I wonder why so many leave, is Turkey that bad? The idea of living in Istanbul sounds so romantic.
No,Turks are really warm people.I've been to Turkey and belive me it's more developed than many of EU countries.(Not England,Italy,Norway etc. but Bulgaria,Romania,Croita etc.)
They left Turkey when Germany was looking for labours and they sent more after that.But now,as it's developing quite rapidly,nearly no one leaves Turkey.
Turks living in Germany today are the new generations of the immigrants.They're a lot because like i said back then so many people left.
And women?Well,as far as i know they have lots of supermodels.Especially from Izmir.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM

562 posts, read 988,962 times
My personal experiences with Turks are confined to mostly Berlin, I didn't really talk to many in other cities.

Young Turks are standoffish and threatening in a lot of cases, they seem to be "angry at the system" which works hard to accommodate them so well. The older generations were friendlier, those that spoke German or English otherwise I would of had know way of knowing. I'm sure its different in cities with less racial tension. Like an above poster, its still nothing like it is here in the states.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 AM

29 posts, read 61,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
My personal experiences with Turks are confined to mostly Berlin, I didn't really talk to many in other cities.

Young Turks are standoffish and threatening in a lot of cases, they seem to be "angry at the system" which works hard to accommodate them so well. The older generations were friendlier, those that spoke German or English otherwise I would of had know way of knowing. I'm sure its different in cities with less racial tension. Like an above poster, its still nothing like it is here in the states.
Racial tension?Between?
You're right about rebel young Turks.They are in the opinion of "fighting the system".I still think that with a low growing population,Germany needs them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe