Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 AM

338 posts, read 336,151 times

Advertisements

I've heard time and time again about how English is supposedly so easy for lacking conjugations, gender, cases, and adjective inflections. But aside from the gender which is also absent from Farsi and Afrikaans, I don't see it. A boat has no wheels, so it is easier? Analytical grammar is..... not?

English is also called a pidgin for being "blockier" and this too riles me. In some ironic twist, Chinese is called hard despite being free of any tenses, gender, plurals, cases, conjugations, articles, and any verb or noun forms. 1 word= 1 word in Chinese. Many Asian languages other (not the agglutinating ones) such as Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Burmese, and the Chinese dialects are completely analytical.

This has caused me some trouble because whenever I hear any Chinese, it triggers the thought of how people snub on English yet ignore those other languages
Have they considered English may have more to it?

Edit:Some info to give people an idea before they talk 'bout stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_grammar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_grammar

Last edited by Mahhammer; 12-06-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,907,598 times
I think people who think English is easy are:

1) Native speakers who don't know any better

or

2) People who speak another simplified Germanic language like Dutch, Swedish, etc and have been learning English since childhood.

I've been hard pressed to meet any German who called English 'easy'. In fact, one of the first conversations in person with my husband was about how I spoke English all the time because it was so hard. He was pretty drunk at the time, but still.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,466,374 times
If you think English is hard, try to learn Russian/Ukrainian. 6 (in Ukrainian - 7) cases, 3 genders, 3 declensions (in Ukrainian 4, but Russian also have a couple of words what are called "differently declinable"), only 3 tenses, but you have to consider number (there are only two numbers, however, in those language - singular and plural) and sometimes gender, movable stress, most consonants can be either hard or soft (palatized), vowel reduction (only in Russian, not Ukrainian). Only spelling is easier in Russian/Ukrainian than in English.

Last edited by Max96; 12-06-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,494,737 times
That's a new one! I've always heard English is one of the hardest languages to learn because it's so inconsistent and breaks the rules all the time.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,245,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
That's a new one! I've always heard English is one of the hardest languages to learn because it's so inconsistent and breaks the rules all the time.
I'm a native speaker so it isn't an issue for me but this is what I love so much about French - the RULES, thank goodness, the rules make it so much easier. Even if the rules are arbitrary (gender), they are there and generally don't change.

Part of the problem with English is that it is so widely-spoken without a concrete standard.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,657,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I've heard both from different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm a native speaker so it isn't an issue for me but this is what I love so much about French - the RULES, thank goodness, the rules make it so much easier. Even if the rules are arbitrary (gender), they are there and generally don't change.

Part of the problem with English is that it is so widely-spoken without a concrete standard.
There are standards really, but a lot of different variations are accepted. For example, whom should be used in certain situations, but mostly isn't nowadays, so saying "Who are you going to invite?" instead of "Whom are you going to invite" would be acceptable, even if it isn't strictly correct.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,316,011 times
English also has an enormous vocabulary (the only language that regularly uses a thesaurus) and multiple ways of saying the essentially the same thing—with very subtle differences.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,572,888 times
Is the easiest to learn for at least one reason: is so widespread that you involuntarly hear it every day even in non-English speaking countries.

The same way a native language is learned by a child because he hears it around him all the time.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,812,479 times
Since English is just an auxiliary language for non-native speakers, they probably don't claim to speak it perfectly when saying they find it easy
One thing that makes it simple is that it uses Latin letters, compare that to Arabic or Tamil or Chinese...
Another aspect is phonetics. English doesn't sound exotic, at least not to Europeans. No idea what Asians think about English, though...
With other languages the difficulty lies with tones, some West African languages for instance have 5 or more different tones that decide on the meaning of the word, that requires a lot of attention since most people are not used to paying attention to tones.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,605,265 times
To make the comparison between french and english language,there's no doubt that english is much easier,much faster (to learn) than french language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe