Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,488 times

Advertisements

Would you say the culture of Spain is closer to Mexico, Peru, Chile etc or to other parts of Europe, especially other southern European countries such as Portugal, Italy, the south of France and Greece?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Would you say the culture of Spain is closer to Mexico, Peru, Chile etc or to other parts of Europe, especially other southern European countries such as Portugal, Italy, the south of France and Greece?
Spain is very much a part of Europe and parts of Spain (e.g. Catalunya) would probably identify more with northern Europe than southern Europe.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM

679 posts, read 660,654 times
I am sorry but this is a very very very very dumb question.

Spain without a doubt identifies more culturally, politically and economically with Europe. They are a part of a Union with Europe. This shouldn't even be a question.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post

Spain without a doubt identifies more culturally, politically and economically with Europe. They are a part of a Union with Europe. This shouldn't even be a question.
Language is a pretty damn strong tie, though. The fact Spanish people could (to an extent) understand Mexicans but not French people would in a way make them closer in mind.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
I'd say more European but I did hear Latin American music everywhere, especially in clubs & bars. There were songs that I heard all the time and so I looked them up and found out that they were songs from Latin American countries

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
I'd say it's similar to the UK and the US. So one could ask, is the UK more like Denmark or the US? It's hard to say, in language obviously more like Latin America, in some other ways more like France, Portugal.etc.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:55 AM

295 posts, read 1,154,898 times
Depending on which part of Spain and wich part of Latin America.
Northern Spain is closer to Europe, the Canary Islands are more like Latin America.
Argentina, Uruguay and Chile are more similar to Spain than Ecuador or Peru, where indigenous cultures are very present.

Spain is closer to Southern Europe than to Latin America, but is closer to Latin America than to Central and Northern Europe. And I would include France in central Europe, apart of the south of France, are two completely different countries, in addition, the Spaniards do not usually have a good opinion of the French.

I do not see Spain as an European country politically or economically, except the Basque Country (I read above that Catalonia was similar to northern Europe, and I do not think so, for me, is clearly Mediterranean, more like Italy than to Denmark).

Spanish companies have more interest and invest more in Latin America than in Europe.

Latin American culture have a strong presence in Spain. Music, films and tv shows from L.A. are really popular in Spain, far more than the culture from other european countries.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:25 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
Quote:

yes, no doubt!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 AM

295 posts, read 1,154,898 times
Quote:
I don't agree, yes, is in a Union, and shares with several European currency, but economic data are not similar to the rest of Europe.

Always has had high unemployment (the best figures were 10% of unemployment, which are the worst in countries like Germany or Belgium), the huge black economy, corruption is very common at all levels of society, not only common, is not condemned. Is really normal in Spain people that prefer to work in the black economy to avoid to pay taxes, or people that figures as unemployed but working illegally to continue collecting unemployment insurance, and not only common, that makes people proud of it.
And I'm not talking about uneducated people with works with low wages.

And politically the same. Now Spain has a government that don't condemns the Franco's dictatorship, indeed, the Justice Minister, a couple of months ago, in a interview, praised Franco. I can't imagine, in Germany, anyone in the government praising the Nazis.
And many of the current politicians, in both left and right parties, are children or grandchildren of members of the dictatorship.

Last week was a big scandal, when the President announced in the Parliament the cuts in unemployment benefits, a Congresswoman from the ruling party shouted: "Great! **** them!" (refering to the unemployed).
And no, does not resign or apologize.

And corruption in politics is widespread, in every level, from the Royal Family to the smalles town, and people doesn't care.

For me, this is more similar to Banana Republic than to Europe. The phrase "Africa begins at the Pyrenees" exists for a reason.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 AM

190 posts, read 706,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
I don't agree, yes, is in a Union, and shares with several European currency, but economic data are not similar to the rest of Europe.

Always has had high unemployment (the best figures were 10% of unemployment, which are the worst in countries like Germany or Belgium), the huge black economy, corruption is very common at all levels of society, not only common, is not condemned. Is really normal in Spain people that prefer to work in the black economy to avoid to pay taxes, or people that figures as unemployed but working illegally to continue collecting unemployment insurance, and not only common, that makes people proud of it.
And I'm not talking about uneducated people with works with low wages.

And politically the same. Now Spain has a government that don't condemns the Franco's dictatorship, indeed, the Justice Minister, a couple of months ago, in a interview, praised Franco. I can't imagine, in Germany, anyone in the government praising the Nazis.
And many of the current politicians, in both left and right parties, are children or grandchildren of members of the dictatorship.

Last week was a big scandal, when the President announced in the Parliament the cuts in unemployment benefits, a Congresswoman from the ruling party shouted: "Great! **** them!" (refering to the unemployed).
And no, does not resign or apologize.

And corruption in politics is widespread, in every level, from the Royal Family to the smalles town, and people doesn't care.

For me, this is more similar to Banana Republic than to Europe. The phrase "Africa begins at the Pyrenees" exists for a reason.

Well....
i´m dating a chilean boy, so i want to point some things that are very different between those two countries. First, the social division. In Chile and in many L.American countries, there is a very strong class separation, there are bars for people with money and bars for lower class people, cinemas for the middle class and cinemas for the lower class, and these groups rarely mix, probably that´s the biggest difference with Spain, that you can enter in a bar at 11 o clock, and see executives beside construction workers having coffee together, or people of disparate economic leves living in a same building. That is unthinkable in Latin America, and i think is the main difference. Second, we speak the same language but we don´t understand so easily, this results in awkward silences when you don´t get the joke, spaniards are extremely rude in comparison to them, and you will be warned not to swear "me cagüen, coño, la hostia ..." in front of his family like you do in front of your grandmother in a normal conversation They are also more family oriented, in Europe we are considered one of the most family-oriented countries, for a latin americans we are little family-oriented and cold. Other difference: chileans partying more at home, don´t have the "bar" culture as in Spain.In Spain we are very wary of inviting someone to our house, for them is something more natural, we are very jealous of our privacy, social life is made in the bar, on the street. There are many more differences, but these are the most significant to me. Obviously there are many similarities, but are probably more difficult to grasp to me, when something is similar to yours, you hardly realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe