Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:25 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
regardless of where the name came from, I'm just saying it wouldn't be acceptable in the US because we're more politically correct about race.
Really?? I never paid attention to the name of Filipinos.
It's funny that there are things that for a country are normal, and in others are considered politically incorrect.

I find more offensive to call "chinos" to the Filipinos.

Quote:
I didn't find anybody who treated me differently when I told them I was part Filipino, so that's what matters to me.
Many spaniards fell Filipinas as a friend country and have a good opinion about them. Was one of the last spanish colonies, and was under Spanish rule more time than most of Latin American countries.
For some people, the Filipinos are a kind of latinos but with Asian influence. In fact, Filipinos are among the nationalities that can get Spanish nationality only in two years, like the Latin Americans, Portuguese, people from Andorra, Guinea Ecuatorial and sephardic jews. Countries that have an historical or cultural connection with Spain.
The rest have to wait, at least, five years.

Quote:
I don't think it's a racist thing for Spaniards to call Filipinos "chinos" it's just a lack of political correctness.
That was what I meant when I said that the Spaniards were rude. It's not that they are not friendly, but the lack of political correctness can make a foreigner feel insulted. But most of spaniards don't believe that their way of speaking can be offensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,482 times
I lived for 15 years in Spain and found little real racism except some toward Gypsies. My wife was Japanese and I am mostly of Italian extraction and all my children were born in Spain. We were always treated with the utmost respect, My children were never singled out because of their mixed race background and my wife never met an ounce of discrimination. All of my children consider themselves Spanish and the Spanish people accept them as such. One of the things that was said about my family by our neighbors was "Well the parents are foreigners but the kids were born here, they are Spanish." Two of my kids returned to Spain after high school and have remained there and seem to be a lot happier than their siblings who stayed here.

Since the Spanish do not hide anything and are not racial hypocrites to a great degree there is no need pf Political Correctness. I lived the last years of the dictatorship in Spain and then you had to be careful of what you said because the results could be very dangerous. PC works well as a form of censorship as under governments like the Franco regime.

Some on mentioned they didn't like the word "Chino". That's the word and the only one for a Chinese person. It is not derogatory in any sense. I cannot think of a truly racial slur in Spanish, at least in the Spanish that is spoken in Spain. The same is true of the word "Negro" it is simply the color black in Spanish. We cannot assign meanings from our language to another language because they don't mean the same thing.

I am in Spain frequently to see my children and grandchildren. Yes immigration has changed the country but it is still the least racist country I have ever been in.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I lived for 15 years in Spain and found little real racism except some toward Gypsies. My wife was Japanese and I am mostly of Italian extraction and all my children were born in Spain. We were always treated with the utmost respect, My children were never singled out because of their mixed race background and my wife never met an ounce of discrimination. All of my children consider themselves Spanish and the Spanish people accept them as such. One of the things that was said about my family by our neighbors was "Well the parents are foreigners but the kids were born here, they are Spanish." Two of my kids returned to Spain after high school and have remained there and seem to be a lot happier than their siblings who stayed here.

Since the Spanish do not hide anything and are not racial hypocrites to a great degree there is no need pf Political Correctness. I lived the last years of the dictatorship in Spain and then you had to be careful of what you said because the results could be very dangerous. PC works well as a form of censorship as under governments like the Franco regime.

Some on mentioned they didn't like the word "Chino". That's the word and the only one for a Chinese person. It is not derogatory in any sense. I cannot think of a truly racial slur in Spanish, at least in the Spanish that is spoken in Spain. The same is true of the word "Negro" it is simply the color black in Spanish. We cannot assign meanings from our language to another language because they don't mean the same thing.

I am in Spain frequently to see my children and grandchildren. Yes immigration has changed the country but it is still the least racist country I have ever been in.
Very good post. I have been visiting Spain for 20 years and now living here from Scotland. I have never experienced racism in these parts especially where there are many Africans.

The Spanish are very blunt and friendly people, who would make anyone feel welcome.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:23 AM

102 posts, read 423,057 times
Quote:
I'd say Spaniards are less politically correct (I mean they have a chocolate donut snack called "Filipinos") but I don't think they're more racist than people in the US.
Don't forget Conguitos (Little people from Congo). Conguitos: Spanish sweets with an out-of-date image | On Africa

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sans12 View Post
I'm 21 years old, I attend a university in Texas, I'm majoring in business administration and international studies.
A professor has mention to me several times that I should move to Spain to live there.

I'm born in the United States, My mother is from Argentina and my father is from Mexico. I speak english, spanish and italian and a bit of portugese.

Living here in the United States (Texas and California) I have never expirence rasicm personally to me but I heard and seen racism.

I'm very open minded, I wouldn't mind living there. I can speak, read and write in spainsh
but I have been told that in Spain, people there are racist to different cultures, nationalities and skin color (I have a light brown skin color).

Anyone who has lived in Spain or visit Spain actually knows how Spain really is?
Is there racism?

Argentina is 80%-90% white. Quite a few Mexicans are also white. "Light brown skin color" could apply to 80% of white folks, too. I'm guessing you wouldn't be a "visible minority" in Spain, a term used in Canada. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Argentina is 80%-90% white. Quite a few Mexicans are also white. "Light brown skin color" could apply to 80% of white folks, too. I'm guessing you wouldn't be a "visible minority" in Spain, a term used in Canada. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

And there are three or five million Ecuatorians, Colombians and Peruvians. They are quite short fellows that look like brown Japanese. They are doing a great serving taking care of old people and they are present in the service sector. A large part of the service sector comes from those countries, waiters, nurses. There are also many doctors, etc.

Last edited by cojoncillo; 07-25-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 04:05 AM

Don't forget Conguitos (Little people from Congo). Conguitos: Spanish sweets with an out-of-date image | On Africa

Not anymore. They have a TV Commercial of Conguitos where they dance modern music, even Tinah Turner is there.

Anuncio Conguitos (1994) - YouTube

The non-PC TV ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOXO...eature=related

Cola Cao (a very famous radio and TV spot from the 40's, 50's, 60's..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5DzdXLjghU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-IH8...feature=relmfu

Last edited by cojoncillo; 07-25-2012 at 04:49 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 AM

Horchata and chocolate ice cream = Cubano, at least during the last 150 years. Never heard any complain, and we have it in the menu.

Zuavo = Bottled iced coffee, now disappeared (no complaints from the inhabitants of Schwabia).

So what if a covered doughnut covered with chocolate is a Filipino? You have to have a blown fuse for paying importance to such thing.

We also have Irish Coffee, and Irish do not complain but drink happily (with Taylor's)
Cuban Coffee, with lots of Cuban rum and black sugar.
Scottish Coffee (expresso and lots of Famous Grouse)
Swiss Chocolate Drink (Suizo) Hot thick chocolate and white cream.
American Coffee (doble charge of water)...
Russian Coffee (Wodka)
Carajillo (a bad sounding word)..coffee laced with brandy or rum..
Etc, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4TS3u9z9Ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDA_Qop1is4

Last edited by cojoncillo; 07-25-2012 at 04:57 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
^ Once again, It was just an example of a snack name that is perfectly acceptable in Spain but wouldn't fly in the US due to political correctness. I'm not complaining about it. Get the hell over it. There must be something wrong with your head.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Why not? Don't they have Cuban coffee, Cuban sandwich, Jewish Bagels, Danish, etc, etc.
Filipinos are not named like that because their colour.
It would be considered a slur (in the US) if they were yellow.
In fact, there are white Filipinos (doughnuts covered with a white cream).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe