Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I think it's time to put this debate to bed. It is safe to say that those of the British isles are fairer than other Europeans in general and those more prone to sunburn.
I'm British and I am not fairer than other Europeans, and neither is 90% of other Britons I know! In fact they're not ANY different to other Europeans because we share the same ancestors! That's my point! Britons ARE NOT a different 'race' to other (particularly Northern) Europeans! Aaaaaargh! British is NOT an ethnicity! Why oh why do people actually think that being British somehow makes you 'different' to other Europeans!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm British and I am not fairer than other Europeans, and neither is 90% of other Britons I know! In fact they're not ANY different to other Europeans because we share the same ancestors! That's my point! Britons ARE NOT a different 'race' to other (particularly Northern) Europeans! Aaaaaargh! British is NOT an ethnicity! Why oh why do people actually think that being British somehow makes you 'different' to other Europeans!
Yes, it is no big deal if you are very dark-haired with a very swarthy complexion. Cool down, you seem to suffer from an inferiority complex. There are other Northern Europeans who are as dark as you, relax it's not the end of the world! It is just a discussion, learn to accept facts. My father has English ancestry from Lincolnshire, his hair color before graying, was light brown, though he is type I and so am I and all of my brothers and we all have red hair and blue-green eyes. You might not be among the 90% of Brits who sunburn, nothing special. You are not less British than them either. Learn to be objective and rational, we all have emotions, but we cannot rely on them to make a point especially as this. Most of us use constructive discussion based on studies and statistics. Are Italians, Greeks different from other Europeans, just because they are on average darker-skinned? Of course not. There are Europeans who might be lighter than others, there is no big deal about that. So what if one group sunburns more than the other, why cry about it?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:18 PM

237 posts, read 673,781 times
Quote:
The point is I do have a concept of the average Briton, I am British and I live here! The 'average' Briton is NOT ginger haired and pale skinned, all you are doing is running off old 'stereotypical' comments that have no place in the modern world, you also seem to be of the opinion that 'white' means 'native' to Briton when in fact 'white' people are also from many places other than Briton, including many white people in Briton. It seems to me that many Europeans still have a set idea on race - whether you can accept the notion or not there ARE black Britons that are born and bred in the UK and who's parents were born and bred in the UK and there are white Britons who's parents were NOT born and bred in the UK, so I ask you this, who would be the most 'British'? If you want to start making ridiculous statements like 'the British burn the easiest' then you will have to include black people too - because there are black Britons, your comment of 'Jamaicans accross the street' sums it up nicely, you obviously don't consider a black Briton as British because of nothing more than the colour of their skin (to you they will always be 'Jamaican'). If you want to start this 'native British' nonsense then perhaps you could clarify further - what is your opinion of a 'native' Briton? Pure Anglo Saxon? Pure Scandinavian? Pure Celtic? Only Britons that are ginger? Ginger and Blondes perhaps? The fact is you can't because there is no such thing as a pure 'Celtic' Briton, nor a pure 'Anglo Saxon' Briton but rather that (like Ive said) Britons are a mix of many ancestoral genes. Until mankind realises we are never going to move on from this racial departmentalisation b*ll****. I am only giving myself as an example, but I am British, I am dark haired I couldnt tell you my ancestory all the way back to the druids but I can gaurantee that my genes have influence from all of the above mentioned (just like every most other Britons).
First of all, NO ONE SAYS THE AVERAGE BRITON IS GINGER HAIRED. That is a good example of a strawman argument. Yes, white can mean from many different places than England or Britain. There are Polish, German, Italian, Swedish, Portuguese British, who would be classified as white. You're making up arguments that don't exist, hence the stawman tactic. I never said white couldn't include other nationalities of the world. What a ridiculous thought. This is why it all seems like a smoke screen. This is because you now tie this into how that's no different to Jamaicans who are British. A French British person, who's parents were French, is no more British than a Jamaican who's parents were born in Jamaica. The concept that black Africans aren't included is no different than white Norwegians. What I can say is you must be an idiot to deliberately confuse African origin Caribbean with yourself. You claim you're British all of the way back to when you can't say. OK, you're native British. The English are a mix of Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Norman, Roman, Middle eastern, Eastern European......You're just splitting hairs. Is a thousand years too short to claim ethnicity.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Yes, it is no big deal if you are very dark-haired with a very swarthy complexion. Cool down, you seem to suffer from an inferiority complex. There are other Northern Europeans who are as dark as you, relax it's not the end of the world! It is just a discussion, learn to accept facts. My father has English ancestry from Lincolnshire, his hair color before graying, was light brown, though he is type I and so am I and all of my brothers and we all have red hair and blue-green eyes. You might not be among the 90% of Brits who sunburn, nothing special. You are not less British than them either. Learn to be objective and rational, we all have emotions, but we cannot rely on them to make a point especially as this. Most of us use constructive discussion based on studies and statistics. Are Italians, Greeks different from other Europeans, just because they are on average darker-skinned? Of course not. There are Europeans who might be lighter than others, there is no big deal about that. So what if one group sunburns more than the other, why cry about it?
90% of Brits do not sunburn any more than any other European (especially northern ones!) - they are THE SAME, they are IDENTICAL ETHNICITIES.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
90% of Brits do not sunburn any more than any other European (especially northern ones!) - they are THE SAME, they are IDENTICAL ETHNICITIES.
Lol...
It seems you have absolutly no idea of the meaning of 'ethnicity'...

There are hundreds if different ethnicities in Europe.. And i'm afraid the English form one ethnicity too among many others. Guess what? It does have nothing to do with having this or that look, been red hair or blond hair, ect. Ethnicities are Social constructs, not genetic definitions...

Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Lol...
It seems you have absolutly no idea of the meaning of 'ethnicity'...

There are hundreds if different ethnicities in Europe.. And i'm afraid the English form one ethnicity too among many others. Guess what? It does have nothing to do with having this or that look, been red hair or blond hair, ect. Ethnicities are Social constructs, not genetic definitions...
Bingo! We agree on something finally. The English are NOT genetically different to other Europeans rather that the English are made up from people with different genetic definitions - just like other Europeans! So how comes 'some' people on here (including yourself in the past) seem to think that somehow Britons are 'different' genetically! You once declared there was a certain 'British look' not found in French people! For that to be true there would have to be a difference genetically between them and of course like Ive said all along that's the same type of bollox as the Nazis had with their claims of 'Aryian purity' Put simply there is not a British look - just British people with EVERY type of look its possible to find on this planet.Therefore bearing this in mind its completely inaccurate to make a sweeping claim like 'Britons burn the easiest'!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 AM

237 posts, read 673,781 times
Quote:
Bingo! We agree on something finally. The English are NOT genetically different to other Europeans rather that the English are made up from people with different genetic definitions - just like other Europeans! So how comes 'some' people on here (including yourself in the past) seem to think that somehow Britons are 'different' genetically! You once declared there was a certain 'British look' not found in French people! For that to be true there would have to be a difference genetically between them and of course like Ive said all along that's the same type of bollox as the Nazis had with their claims of 'Aryian purity' Put simply there is not a British look - just British people with EVERY type of look its possible to find on this planet.Therefore bearing this in mind its completely inaccurate to make a sweeping claim like 'Britons burn the easiest'!
You start off making some sense, but then revert back to British having every look possible on this planet thing. Do First Nations and Native Americans have every look from this planet? British refers to the total country population, but English, Welsh, Scottish, etc, refers to ethnicity. Britain is a country of immigrants now. Non native individuals are not counted in these studies, because they are not ethnically aboriginal. In Canada, the USA, and Australia, anyone who's a non native has ancestry from elsewhere. It's true in these countries, they are very diverse in ethnic background. But someone who's Pakistani or Polish will never forget that their ancestors didn't originate there. Jamaicans are typically black, but they know they aren't native to the island. Using examples of how multicultural Britain is in a thread about ethnic groups skin type is just a smoke screen. This PC attitude is naive, but it seems to possibly distance oneself from Aryan Nazi racist idealism.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
You start off making some sense, but then revert back to British having every look possible on this planet thing. Do First Nations and Native Americans have every look from this planet? British refers to the total country population, but English, Welsh, Scottish, etc, refers to ethnicity. Britain is a country of immigrants now. Non native individuals are not counted in these studies, because they are not ethnically aboriginal. In Canada, the USA, and Australia, anyone who's a non native has ancestry from elsewhere. It's true in these countries, they are very diverse in ethnic background. But someone who's Pakistani or Polish will never forget that their ancestors didn't originate there. Jamaicans are typically black, but they know they aren't native to the island. Using examples of how multicultural Britain is in a thread about ethnic groups skin type is just a smoke screen. This PC attitude is naive, but it seems to possibly distance oneself from Aryan Nazi racist idealism.
But the thing is even early Britons originated elsewhere in Europe, you wouldnt say 'Americans are olive skinned people' based solely on 'native American indians' would you? So why try and suggest that all Britons are some kind of pure 'Celtic' breed when the reality is Britons have always been made up of numerous 'European' peoples and now more recently also 'peoples' from accross the globe. To try and suggest that I am trying to 'distance myself from Aryan Nazi racist idealism' just because I am caucasion and suggesting that Britons are a 'mix' of all sorts including mainly European caucasions is a strange thing to say.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,676 times
Quote:
For gods sake for the last time - British IS NOT an ethnicity!!!!!! Its perfectly simple! ! I am British my ancestors are British and I am NOT red headed and I am NOT blond and I DO NOT burn easily and I tan rather well!!!!! So how come you have me down as this type I skin without even knowing me? I am also NOT alone in being British and dark haired! A MAJORITY of Britons are NOT pale skinned redheads or pale skinned blonds so stop claiming that they all are! You can say that ginger people burn easiest but you simply CANNOT claim 'Britons burn the easiest because they have type I skin!' And yes as ginger Spaniard will burn quicker than a 'dark' Briton! Spanish, British, French or German NONE of these are ethnicities!
When since I every mentioned British and Irish being all redheads and freckly.

I meant that British are pale skinned and dark haired (whether dark brown, brown or mousey brown).

British whether redhaired, dark haired or blonde mostly sunburn the most out of any European ethnicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrinho View Post
All of them!!

True those stereotypes that cloxias has go down when travelling.
These may be stereotypes but stereotypes also can be true.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,676 times
Ethnic groups than sunburn are mostly Irish and British followed by Scandinavians.

Type I- pale white skin, always burns doesn't tan - those of Irish, Scottish, English, Welsh, Cornish, Manx, Aussie, White New Zealander and Breton ancestors.

Type II- fair skin, burns easily, tans poorly - those of Scandinavian, Baltic, Dutch, Belgian, Northern German, Northern French and White South Afrikaan ancestors.

Type III- medium skin, tans after initial burns - those of German, Austrian, Swiss, Slovene, French, Hungarian, West Slavic, East Slavic, South Slavic, Balkan and North/Central Italian ancestors.

Type IV- light brown/olive, burns minimally, tans easily - those of Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, some Caucasus/Caucasian, some Italian and some South French ancestors.

Type V- light/medium brown/olive, burns rarely, tans easily - those of Iberian, Canarian, Sicilian, Maltese, Greek, Cypriot, Turkish, Latin American, Maghrebi, Levantine, Iraqi, some Arabian, Caucasus/Caucasian, Iranian, Azeri, Far Eastern, Afghan, some Pakistani and even some Northwest Indian.

Type VI- brown,rarely burns, tans dark easily - those of Indian, some Hispanic, some Southeast Asian, some New World Black, Pacific Islander, some Arabian and some Sub Saharan ancestors.

Type VII- dark brown/black skin never burns, always tans darkly - those of some Indian, some Sub Saharan and some Oceanian ancestors.

Hair and eye colour does not always count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe