Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Nobody is refuting that all have the same type, cheeses. Fact is, lighter skin is dominant among the British and Irish. No comprendes???
Its five past three.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What do you think youre doing!! I thought this ridiculous thread had been well and truly forgotten!! How many times does it need to be said not all Britons, Mediterraneans, South Americans or 'Africans' have identical 'skin types' stop trying to suggest that they do!
Unfortunately for you this thread has not been yet forgotten.

It also looks like there is still a slight misunderstanding with you about what I have posted on here.

Yes I know that Britons, Mediterraneans etc, do not always have identical skin types but what I was demonstrating is that there is a common type which these people have.

And when I mean North Africans, I mean "Maghrebi people" such as Moroccans, Algerians and Tunisians.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
The melanin deficient ethnic groups

Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,424,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly, My Grandpa was from County Mayo, Ireland but his skin type was more similar to those in skin type 5.
Even some Irish from the western coast can have very tan skin and dark features.

Meanwhile, my best friend's Grandmother is from Italy and has red hair and very fair skin.
You are probably mistaken, skin V type occurs principally outside of Europe. Even in Southern Europe, it is far from common. Meaning mainly in Middle-Easterners and non-Whites, for example Native-Americans(Navaho, Sioux), Asian Indians, light-skinned Black people or Africans with European ancestry like many African-Americans are also of this skin type. The darkest skin type amongst European populations is predominantly is skin type IV. Studies done by the Division of Anthropology of Harvard University have shown that western regions of Ireland to be as a whole lighter-skinned and a higher frequency of people with freckles than eastern Ireland. In parts of western Ireland, the frequency of people with a skin that a strong tendency to freckling as high as 60%, that is much higher than the Northern European average(including Scandinavia). Despite the fact the fact that western Ireland is at the same time darker-haired and more red-haired than eastern Ireland. As a whole according to this study, well over 90% of the Irish have a pale-pinkish white skin colour and not one of the Irish individuals was darker than Von Luschan 11(equivalent to skin phototype III).The only "dark feature" among western Irish is perhaps dark hair and despite this, less than 3% were found to have truly black hair. I wouldn't call this dark-featured by any means.In the 1800's, it was especially from western Ireland that many Irish who fleeing the famine came to the eastern United States, the Irish "red-head stereotype" has its origins with this migration. The only "dark feature" among western Irish is perhaps dark hair and despite this, less than 3% were found to have truly black hair. I wouldn't call this dark-featured by any means and the Irish are prevalently light-eyed and well amongst the lightest in Europe.
In the late 1990's, the Irish Journal of Medical Science published a study of the frquency of skin types within the Irish population; skin type I(26%), II(50%), III(19,6%), IV(4,4%). The frequency of type I & II(76%!) is twice that reported in most other Northern European studies. Skin type V was found on an Asiatic Indian immigrant living in Ireland, type VI was found on an African immigrant as well. this study roughly corresponds to the research made by Harvard University anthropologists many decades earlier. This study was obviously even more accurate, due to advance of technology. Unless, you telling me that your Granpa was Indian? That's a different story.
I have seen Italians who are blonde, black, brown, red-haired, fair/swarthy-skinned too. Nevertheless, over-all the Italians are darker than the Irish, that's a fact. Further proof is that a recent study(GWAS study of pigmentation in four European countries)(2012) by Candile et al, the countries were Ireland, Italy, Poland, Portugal. Ireland came out as whole as the lightest in skin, hair, eye colour and Italy the darkest.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,424,938 times
Quote:
Exactly, My Grandpa was from County Mayo, Ireland but his skin type was more similar to those in skin type 5.
Even some Irish from the western coast can have very tan skin and dark features.

Meanwhile, my best friend's Grandmother is from Italy and has red hair and very fair skin.
You were quoting the county of Mayo as dark? You're wrong in 2013, the National Geographic Genographic which studied the northwestern county of Mayo particularly. The results by Spencer Wells tells that those Irish are predominantly a Northern European population. These are people from Mayo, they definitely not dark at least not over-all!

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic....ntage-full.jpg

Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 PM

237 posts, read 673,520 times
Some people have no clue as to how statistics work. Here they are again

Fitzpatrick Scale of skin types describes the types of skin within:

Skin type I - Pale white skin, always burns and does not tan.
type II- Fair skin, burns easily and tans poorly.
type III-"Darker white" skin, tans after initial burn.
type IV- Light brown skin, burns minimally and tans easily.

Distribution(going from I to IV) within some European populations:

Scandinavia

Denmark- I(7.5%),II(24%),III(52%),IV(16.2%)
Sweden- 2.1%, 26,5%, 62,7%, 8,5%
Finland- 8%, 25%, 57%, 10%

British Isles

U.K.- 14.9%, 39.7%, 37.2%, 8%
Ireland- 26%, 50%, 19.6%, 4.4%

Continental Europe

The Netherlands- 6.5%, 19,5%, 52%, 21,8%
Belgium- 13,2%, 20,7%, 37,7%, 28.4%
Germany- (I+II)32%, 40%, 28%
France- 11,6%, 25,7%, 30,9%, 31,8%
Italy- (I+II)10.3%, 45.8%, 44.5%

Where does it say the majority of British and Irish are type I? Where does it say they are ALL type I? Where does it say Italians can't be type I/II? On occasion the stereotypes can be reversed. That's based on statistics, not generalizations. Most people from the British Isles are type II and III, but overwhelming also include type I as opposed to type IV. Statistically most people from the British Isles tan poorly, but a substantial minority can can tan to varying degree.

Last edited by Mmega; 03-20-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
Quote:

You probably mean skin type III. That is the darkest I've seen in Ireland. There are no Irish with naturally dark skin but skin type III takes a nice tan. I've got family members who are from the North West of Ireland that take a nice tan but interestingly enough the same relatives have the other extreme in all their families which is red hair and freckled skin. My father used to take a nice tan but he did have blue eyes which dominates in Ireland.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:59 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,571 times
I am skin type III for sure. Most of my friends are I and II. I originate 100% from the British Isles, although the name changed to a Viking name in the 1600s, so a Scandinavian connection. I had two uncles who had red hair and did not tan. In summer the hairs on my left arm go red. My daughter, who has the same skin and colouring as me:

Last edited by John-UK; 03-21-2014 at 05:13 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 05:08 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The only "dark feature" among western Irish is perhaps dark hair and despite this, less than 3% were found to have truly black hair.
These are known as the Black Irish. The myth is that they are descendants from wrecked Spanish sailors from the Armada who evaded capture, and certain death, by melting in, in some of the villages. I read they are not and have a more of a Basque connection.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
These are known as the Black Irish. The myth is that they are descendants from wrecked Spanish sailors from the Armada who evaded capture, and certain death, by melting in, in some of the villages. I read they are not and have a more of a Basque connection.
Your little girl is lovely but I would say her skin looks Type II. You've opened up a can of worms with the Black Irish and the Basque connection. This was discussed in great detail on another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.