Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:21 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,316,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Nevertheless you drive a car in yout videos....
It's not my video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Gotcha, thanks.
What's the population of Boden?
18000 in the city and 27000 in the municipality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 06:05 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,069 times
Quote:
This is American outlook on things (I wonder whether you ever lived long enough in European cities, because you'd know the difference right away.)
Excuse me? Not that it's any of your business, but I was born in Germany, lived there for more than 22 years and then again later. Does that qualify for "living long enough in European cities"? I am very familiar with the city of Kassel, of which you posted a video and unless you live right in the city center the public transportation network can be really bad. Admittedly not as bad as in a comparable US city, but having to wait 30-60 mins for the next bus can definitely happen there, too. I have a direct comparison because I lived on both sides of the pond. With and without a car. In either country. Not in the major metropolises. What is your source of wisdom besides youtube videos?

You sound like a little child that asks a question just to hear what he wants and if he doesn't he gets angry. Believe what you want to believe.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
So this became a "post your city" -thread? Ok, I'll post mine

Driving around Helsinki - YouTube

Not my video and pretty quick-paced, but I like it as it covers much and different parts of Finland's capital. And the music is soothing.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
What years?
When I lived in Seattle, I found that the bus routes were overly time-consuming and Portland Oregon ( I'm talking the beginning of the nineties) was a dead place where you could barely make anywhere without a car. San-Fransisco was a breather in this respect, but overall I found the life without car in the US a torturous experience and I don't even like to drive)))
I was in Seattle in the 80's and 90's. Seattle is always working to improve routes. I discovered that in the 90's, they had combined some routes, so that one didn't have to transfer buses going from an East-West route to North-South. If you figured out the system (these route combinations weren't published on the schedules), it helped. Still, it was time-consuming. Service to my neighborhood on Sundays was once/hr. Still, I chose to make a commitment to public transit, and I stuck by it.

Portland had a very limited system until it suddenly decided to invest in public transport. The result was truly transformational. It has made national headlines and has been cited as a model for other cities.

San Francisco's system could use some improvement here and there (during rush hours, some routes are like in Russia--everyone packed into the bus like sardines, lol!), but given San Francisco's traffic problems, I'd prefer public transit most of the time. And it's well-connected to surrounding cities and towns by other transport systems. Plus, getting there on the bridges can be nightmarish, depending on the time of day, so again, public transport has its advantages.

FYI, erasure, US cities used to have trams like European cities. (San Francisco still does.) There used to be a combination of trolleybuses, buses, and trams in many cities. The trams and trolleybuses were removed by a consortium organized by the oil companies and car manufacturers, and replaced with badly-scheduled buses, in order to encourage Americans to buy cars. The companies were later successfully sued in court, but the damage had been done, and they weren't required to replace the transport systems they'd destroyed. There used to be a train that went from Berkeley and Oakland across the Bay to San Francisco. That, too, was removed at the same time as the other changes were made, and the bus route now follows the old train route.

Then, once Americans were hooked on cars, the US car manufacturers adopted a policy of "planned obsolescence", meaning: cars were deliberately built to expire after a certain number of years. The engine or the transmission would give out. When this information was leaked to the press, Americans abandoned their own brands in droves, and flocked to buy Japanese cars.

It's all corporate-driven, unlike Europe.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,362 times
It depends where you live in Europe, in Spain there is good public transport (bus, tram, trains) however where we live close to Málaga there is free parking so we just take the car.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 AM

231 posts, read 505,948 times
Yes, in Spain if you live in an urban or semi-urban area, public transportation is very good. But if you live in a little town out in the boondocks you'll find yourself into problems.

Way back, during the 40's, 50's and 60's, there was a law that mandated that every Spanish town had to be communicated by bus certain number of times a day, back in those days there were few cars. Now, most of those bus lines and non-profitable train lines were abandoned. In many cases, the only public transportation that arrives in those towns are School Buses, mail and bread and fish sellers.

Quite a pity, and not only a Spanish phenomena, but also French...small towns are getting deserted.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,795,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

FYI, erasure, US cities used to have trams like European cities. (San Francisco still does.) There used to be a combination of trolleybuses, buses, and trams in many cities. The trams and trolleybuses were removed by a consortium organized by the oil companies and car manufacturers, and replaced with badly-scheduled buses, in order to encourage Americans to buy cars. The companies were later successfully sued in court, but the damage had been done, and they weren't required to replace the transport systems they'd destroyed.
Wow. What consortium.removed street cars and was then sued? Care to quote a source?

[quote=Ruth4Truth;25715349]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Then, once Americans were hooked on cars, the US car manufacturers adopted a policy of "planned obsolescence", meaning: cars were deliberately built to expire after a certain number of years. The engine or the transmission would give out. When this information was leaked to the press, Americans abandoned their own brands in droves, and flocked to buy Japanese cars.

It's all corporate-driven, unlike Europe.
We must be living in two different countries. Lol

Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Au contraire - I find Youtube very convenient to demonstrate the major differences
Why don't you just leave it to people who have an experience of living in those cities, like some.of the posters in this thread?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:53 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Why don't you just leave it to people who have an experience of living in those cities, like some.of the posters in this thread?
Don't tell me what to do and I will not tell you where to go.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Don't tell me what to do and I will not tell you where to go.
Its just funny to see these Y"ouTube experts" voicing their opinion about places they only know via internet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe