Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

I put Mediterranean country in quotes. Portugal does NOT touch the Mediterranean, but shares the Iberian peninsula with Spain. The beginning of Portugal is not THAT far from Gibraltar, yet it does not touch the Mediterranean. However, the vibe is very Mediterranean, while less so in the very north of Portugal. The language, history, customs, values, physical appearance of the people, and architecture are largely Mediterranean, so I would say yes. The one thing most tourist books, and personal experience, will point out is that the Portuguese are the most reserved and least noisy of southern Europeans when compared to Spaniards, Italians and Greeks. Why this is the case, I don't know.

However, to me, they are Mediterranean enough. Your opinion?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I put Mediterranean country in quotes. Portugal does NOT touch the Mediterranean, but shares the Iberian peninsula with Spain. The beginning of Portugal is not THAT far from Gibraltar, yet it does not touch the Mediterranean. However, the vibe is very Mediterranean, while less so in the very north of Portugal. The language, history, customs, values, physical appearance of the people, and architecture are largely Mediterranean, so I would say yes. The one thing most tourist books, and personal experience, will point out is that the Portuguese are the most reserved and least noisy of southern Europeans when compared to Spaniards, Italians and Greeks. Why this is the case, I don't know.

However, to me, they are Mediterranean enough. Your opinion?
Mediterranean culturally, but mine is pretty generous. I even include the entire France in that category even though Northern France really shouldn't be included. I also include countries like Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, and Albania (adriatic access, similar culture) as well as landlocked countries like Serbia, Macedonia, and Kosovo. I'm also perfectly fine with including Bulgaria apart of Mediterranean "culture" but not so much Romania, Moldova, or Ukraine (even though both Romania and Ukraine have access to the black sea as does Bulgaria, they are too dominated culturally elsewhere).

Last edited by PosterExtraordinaire; 09-20-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Mediterranean culturally, but mine is pretty generous. I even include the entire France in that category even though Northern France really shouldn't be included. I also include countries like Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, and Albania (adriatic access, similar culture) as well as landlocked countries like Serbia, Macedonia, and Kosovo. I'm also perfectly fine with including Bulgaria apart of Mediterranean "culture" but not so much Romania, Moldova, or Ukraine (even though both Romania and Ukraine have access to the black sea as does Bulgaria, they are too dominated culturally elsewhere).
France is usually given this tag, though its northern reaches, including the capital, are more of a unique entity ... probably closer to Benelux. Anything in old Yugoslavia/that touches the Adriatic is fine with me. Bulgaria is kind of a stretch.

Why the different collective Portuguese personality, though? I've read that the fado (Portuguese blues music) is reflective of Portuguese sentiment.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:00 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Third-rate "Mediterranean" European country, very backwards, very intolerant and incredibly ignorant. I was born in Brazil and when I look at the history of Brazil, it is obvious that it will never be a developed country because this ignorant culture influenced Brazil more than Brazilians like to believe.

Corruption, nepotism, intolerance, classism, racism were some of the very Portuguese values that the colonizers brought to Brazil.

For example: In Portugal, there is an idiotic tradition of creating mailing addresses without a number. For example, Rua Lisboa s/n (no number). The same practice was adopted by all the former Portuguese colonies. I can't think of anything more stupid!

"What is your address?" " I live on Baker Street no number" "Hmm, Ok"- I wonder what it would be like being a mail carrier in Brazil or Portugal haha

Last edited by Repubocrat; 09-20-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,206 times
Absolutely yes, even more Mediterranean than countries that are actually touched by the Mediterranean, like Slovenia,or even France.

Perhaps in the north of the country the vibe is not so obvious, but the north of Spain and Italy are far from being considered Mediterranean cultures neither.

Aside from culture, in my opinion, Portugal is not so close to Gibraltar, even in Andalucia's a lot of difference between the culture of the east and west of Gibraltar, 400 kilometers so the difference is more noticeable. (I speak from the perspective of Europe, for someone used to the distances in America is close)

Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Quote:
Why the different collective Portuguese personality, though? I've read that the fado (Portuguese blues music) is reflective of Portuguese sentiment.
My Mom describes the Portuguese people rather well: "defeated". In my opinion, most Portuguese people carry a huge inferiority complex. They know they are incapable, incompetent and mostly unable to create or build anything worthwhile- therefore they have this longing for the old glory days-(1500's) when Portugal was somewhat relevant.

The Portuguese share some of the same characteristics Brazilians possess- they can be very proud of their country but it is a pride that is not built on anything real or relevant- both are very defensive people and if you criticize their ways, even though they are mostly failed, irrelevant societies, they get really upset.

Everytime Portugal plays a soccer game against Germany, the Netherlands or England- If they lose, they always blame it on the referee or "racism"- Brazilians are exactly the same- totally unable to be self critical, very touchy to criticism, extremely defensive and they also carry a huge inferiority complex.

Last edited by Repubocrat; 09-20-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I actually have no idea, and it's very hard to answer the question. But it's interesting to note that other than music, Portuguese food tends to be also more bland and "saucy" than Spanish. But the desserts and juices tend to be better.

My stab at this is that Portugal was always a poor country that became overshadowed by Spain and henceforth began turning to the past. They are still as expressive (if not more so) than the Spanish, they are just as warm (if not warmer) but they tend to be sadder and easier put down. Another parallel I can draw here are the balkan areas of the adriatic. While expressive and warm they are also very melancholic. They are also similarly poor and have been overshadowed in recent years. But this is all very general not even convincing me, so I'm going to step aside and let someone with better understanding of the Portuguese answer this.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
My Mom describes the Portuguese people rather well: "defeated". In my opinion, most Portuguese people carry a huge inferiority complex. They know they are incapable, incompetent and mostly unable to build anything worthwhile- therefore they have this longing for the old days when Portugal was somewhat relevant.
The Portuguese were forced (through history) to seize their colonies from well-armed defenders(berbers-morocco) whereas the Spanish preyed on the more defenseless (Aztecs, who were a stoneaged people). As a result the Portuguese poured more men and blood into areas worth less. Accidents of history. They were the first people who freed themselves from the Moors and have a prouder history of military conquests than the Spanish.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM

603 posts, read 1,631,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Absolutely yes, even more Mediterranean than countries that are actually touched by the Mediterranean, like Slovenia,or even France.

Perhaps in the north of the country the vibe is not so obvious, but the north of Spain and Italy are far from being considered Mediterranean cultures neither.

Aside from culture, in my opinion, Portugal is not so close to Gibraltar, even in Andalucia's a lot of difference between the culture of the east and west of Gibraltar, 400 kilometers so the difference is more noticeable. (I speak from the perspective of Europe, for someone used to the distances in America is close)
Portugal is for sure very Mediterranean in every ascept.

Even Northern Portugal is still Mediterreanean so that does not really matter.

Only a few odd parts of Northern Spain are less Mediterranean (such as Galicia, Asturias and the Basque Country) but those are a minority and are not worth to mention.

Italy is much much less Mediterranean than Spain or Portugal.

Italy has more a Alpine-Dinaric/Adriatic base than Mediterranean.

Wrong Portugal is alot closer in culture to any part of Spain, kilometers or not.

So there is not much differences between Portuguese or Spaniards.

I cannot tell much difference between them because they look all the same mostly.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post

Only a few odd parts of Northern Spain are less Mediterranean (such as Galicia, Asturias and the Basque Country) but those are a minority and are not worth to mention.

Italy is much much less Mediterranean than Spain or Portugal.

Italy has more a Alpine-Dinaric/Adriatic base than Mediterranean.
Not worth to mention because you decided? Ok, then, but between Basque Country and Asturias there is a huge spanish region that you missed, and Navarra and La Rioja that are ethnically basques. You left out half of the Spanish population.

And you really think you Castilla culture (which is more than half of Iberia) and Aragon are Mediterranean?
God, you are really efficient, you end up with 500 years of cultural and nationalistic conflicts with two sentences.

I remind you that the Adriatic is part of the Mediterranean, Adriatic cultures are Mediterranean

Quote:
Wrong Portugal is alot closer in culture to any part of Spain, kilometers or not.
Anyone said it's not closer?

Moreover, are less similar than people think. Anyone who knows in depth the two countries will say the same.

Quote:
So there is not much differences between Portuguese or Spaniards.

I cannot tell much difference between them because they look all the same mostly.
Well, to me most Chinese, Germans or English look similar physically, is what happens when you're not used to some features.

Any Portuguese or Spaniard can differentiate a Portuguese from a Spaniard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe