Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you see the US presidential election?
Fairest in the world 2 3.64%
As fair as an election can be 9 16.36%
Fairly fair, but flawed 16 29.09%
Seriously flawed and unfair 18 32.73%
At the Third World levell of corruption 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,248,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
There's a subtle difference between abortion being illegal, and abortion being legal in every state, but a "controversial topic". Kind of sad if you can't draw a difference between those two. The US does not have the market cornered neither on debates about abortion, or extremely religious political viewpoints. Just happens so if a politician in some small far northern country expresses radical religious opinions, they are not likely to get much publicity for them, certainly not international publicity.
What are you talking about? I never said abortion is illegal now but if it were up to the GOP, it would be. IIRC, they only need one more SC justice to overturn Roe vs. Wade and if Romney gets elected, that's exactly what would happen.

In what other developed country, apart from the US and apparently Ireland, are extremely religious viewpoints this prominent? We're not talking about "some politician" here, we're talking about a major political party that represents approximately half the country.

Ireland is indeed an exception. Not only is abortion illegal, divorce only became legal in 1995 and homosexual acts were outlawed until 1993

Anyway, to get back on topic: what about the issue of voter suppression? I've read several articles in the past few weeks saying that minorities and the elderly in particular are targeted to make it harder for them to vote.

Harvard's Alexandar Keyssar analyzes voter suppression measures | Harvard Magazine Jul-Aug 2012
Voter Suppression in America - Protecting Access to the Ballot, Breaking Barriers to Voting | American Civil Liberties Union
Will voter suppression and dirty tricks swing the election? - Salon.com
10 States Where Voter Suppression Scams Target New Voters, Minorities and The Elderly | Alternet
P.G. Sittenfeld: In Ohio, Signs of Voter Suppression Go Up -- And Come Down

Is voter suppression a serious problem for the upcoming elections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,303,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
What are you talking about? I never said abortion is illegal now but if it were up to the GOP, it would be. IIRC, they only need one more SC justice to overturn Roe vs. Wade and if Romney gets elected, that's exactly what would happen.

In what other developed country, apart from the US and apparently Ireland, are extremely religious viewpoints this prominent? We're not talking about "some politician" here, we're talking about a major political party that represents approximately half the country.

Ireland is indeed an exception. Not only is abortion illegal, divorce only became legal in 1995 and homosexual acts were outlawed until 1993

Anyway, to get back on topic: what about the issue of voter suppression? I've read several articles in the past few weeks saying that minorities and the elderly in particular are targeted to make it harder for them to vote.

Harvard's Alexandar Keyssar analyzes voter suppression measures | Harvard Magazine Jul-Aug 2012
Voter Suppression in America - Protecting Access to the Ballot, Breaking Barriers to Voting | American Civil Liberties Union
Will voter suppression and dirty tricks swing the election? - Salon.com
10 States Where Voter Suppression Scams Target New Voters, Minorities and The Elderly | Alternet
P.G. Sittenfeld: In Ohio, Signs of Voter Suppression Go Up -- And Come Down

Is voter suppression a serious problem for the upcoming elections?

why is it automatically assumed that being opposed to abortion is a wholey negative thing , id still vote democrat if i lived in america btw

Old 11-06-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
why is it automatically assumed that being opposed to abortion is a wholey negative thing , id still vote democrat if i lived in america btw
I have my reasons but again, let's not get into that. This thread is about European perceptions of the US election, there are other threads about abortion and gay marriage if you want to discuss those issues in depth.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:51 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,303,140 times
Quote:
I have my reasons but again, let's not get into that. This thread is about European perceptions of the US election, there are other threads about abortion and gay marriage if you want to discuss those issues in depth.
fair enough

anyway , thier are many reason why id vote democrat , one being that at least the majority of democrats believe in evolution

Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Just happens so if a politician in some small far northern country expresses radical religious opinions, they are not likely to get much publicity for them, certainly not international publicity.
The extreme religious right didn't used to get any publicity. It was a fringe phenomenon. But when Bush Sr. was running for President, his son was managing his campaign, and stumbled onto the religious right, and discovered they could be tapped as a voting bloc. Once he made this discovery, he cultivated that demographic, and used them again for his own campaigns, and really fed them. That's when they became more vocal and more dominant. He provided a platform for them, because they had turned out in droves for his father's election, and then his own first run for the Presidency. So he was the one who really gave them a voice, and a space in the Republican Party.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM

888 posts, read 1,593,369 times
Quote:

Even if it was up to the GOP alone, i'm quite sure half of americans would not want abortion outlawed. Even if Roe vs. Wade does get overturned, it's likely not going to equal abortion becoming illegal in every state. For some, the whole issue might not be about abortion at all, but about letting the states decide on this individually. If some back-o-beyond red state overwhelmingly wants to make it illegal, maybe their beliefs should be respected, no?

I'm not very sympathetic towards the pro-life crowd, but as a citizen of a EU country i can very well relate to those who'd want state control over issues concerning them.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Even if it was up to the GOP alone, i'm quite sure half of americans would not want abortion outlawed. Even if Roe vs. Wade does get overturned, it's likely not going to equal abortion becoming illegal in every state. For some, the whole issue might not be about abortion at all, but about letting the states decide on this individually. If some back-o-beyond red state overwhelmingly wants to make it illegal, maybe their beliefs should be respected, no?

I'm not very sympathetic towards the pro-life crowd, but as a citizen of a EU country i can very well relate to those who'd want state control over issues concerning them.
I don't think human rights - and I consider abortion and gay marriage as such - should be up to popular vote. If the same 'back-o-beyond red state' overwhelmingly wants to bring back slavery, should their beliefs be respected too?

As far as I know, SC decisions are in fact binding to individual states so if the SC decides to make abortion illegal, the states will have no choice but to implement it.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 PM

888 posts, read 1,593,369 times
Quote:
I don't think human rights - and I consider abortion and gay marriage as such - should be up to popular vote. If the same 'back-o-beyond red state' overwhelmingly wants to bring back slavery, should their beliefs be respected too?
I live in a country where even a social safety net and 1M broadband internet are considered human rights. Opinions vary alot, but they are surely up for debate and popular vote. I'd become very worried if they were not. Gay marriage is not considered one, only registered civil unions.

Quote:
As far as I know, SC decisions are in fact binding to individual states so if the SC decides to make abortion illegal, the states will have no choice but to implement it.
We can only hope the majority of americans are against criminalizing abortion, and against slavery.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
We can only hope the majority of americans are against criminalizing abortion, and against slavery.
What we have to hope is that the voting machines will not be rigged, that everyone who has the right to vote and wants to vote will be allowed to vote, and that there will be no trickery. I've heard reports that there are 2-hour waits at some voting stations, which indicates already that there is the possibility that someone limited the number of voting booths in order to put obstacles in the path of voters. The government already caught the Republicans in Ohio and other areas trying to intimidate voters a couple of weeks ago, when early voting began.

So it could be messy. We don't know if the end count will be conclusive.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,857,404 times
Well done the American public!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe