Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,348 times

Advertisements

Hamburg- New Orleans
Munich-Philadelphia/Boston
Berlin-Chicago
Bremen-Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 AM

255 posts, read 926,862 times
Non-comparable.

I wouldn't even compare Frankfurt to London, let alone something as wildly as different as a US city.

US cities have "poverty" to the degree defined by the U.N to upwards of 15-20% per city.

We do not have that over here in the leading European countries. The worst neighborhood in The Netherlands alone is as wealthy as an average American home.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,161 times
I don't think there is any US city that is like "german cities". That something hard to define, architecture, urban structure, language? in that sens there is no one. In terms of Ancestry, in Milwaukee there are many people of German descent; but that doesn't make Milwaukee like a german city, despite having its Germanfest.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 AM

112 posts, read 353,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Hamburg- New Orleans
Munich-Philadelphia/Boston
Berlin-Chicago
Bremen-Baltimore
Although Americans have very similar mentalities to Germans, in terms of cities, US cities are very unique and German cities can be more compared to other European cities.

Also the landscape is completely different, as such cities are completely different.
For instance Southern Germany is shaped by the Alps. Northern Germany by its connection to Scandinavia. Eastern Germany with Poland. Etc...

But in terms of "style", I would say Frankfurt is a very American city. Also the major economic towns, Düsseldorf, basically the whole Rheinland, including cities in the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen, are very American.

But to me...The UK has the most similar style as the US in terms of cities.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I agree. Non-comparable.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 AM

30 posts, read 140,605 times
From my point of view no US cities like German cities.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM

667 posts, read 940,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_john View Post
From my point of view no US cities like German cities.
Except downtown of Frankfurt.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
Except downtown of Frankfurt.
Areas of Milan, Italy.
Areas of Moscow, Russia.
Areas of Londow, England, UK.
Areas of Paris (La Defense), France.
Areas of Tallinn, Estonia.
(And many many more...)
Can relate to "Downtown Frankfurt" - but trust me. They aren't like US cities just because of Skyscrapers.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
US cities have "poverty" to the degree defined by the U.N to upwards of 15-20% per city.
What does the UN say the percentages are, in European cities? I think to some extent, poverty is more hidden, not as obvious, in parts of Europe. There are apartment complexes where families of 6 share a 2-bedroom apartment. Single moms or widowed moms have a hard time, if they're raising a lot of kids.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What does the UN say the percentages are, in European cities? I think to some extent, poverty is more hidden, not as obvious, in parts of Europe. There are apartment complexes where families of 6 share a 2-bedroom apartment. Single moms or widowed moms have a hard time, if they're raising a lot of kids.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...elds/2046.html

UNdata | record view | Population below national poverty line, total, percentage

Countries | Data

Sites such as these - mainly the first one.

It's easy to find them by city, but it may not be U.N. defined poverty - an example is Philadelphia. Large US city, right? Well - it's poverty rate is 22% (last i checked - i'd say its higher when this was written.) Poor still suffering from last recession | Reuters
I think that there may be poverty the further east you go in Europe.

Even in Paris you may have near 1% poverty - but that I need to research more. I know countrywide there is rarely a poverty rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe