Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,670,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Being a humble person I would not mind paying 75% on my income if I earned that much, I would not know what to do with so much money.
Perhaps other people know. That Hollande guy is playing with fire and harming Paris financial sector big time with his ideological crusade against "the rich".
French buyout bosses join flight to London - FT.com

To add to the cacophony, the proposal has been deemed as unconstitutional by the Constitutional Council.
French court says tax is unconstitutional - FT.com

Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 AM

558 posts, read 667,746 times
Moderator cut: Sorry, the post you replied to was deleted, however your comment is welcomed and appropriate.

Why does the US always have to be randomly brought up for negative comparisons? Not to mention your characterization of the US is off because you're basing it on appearances instead of experiences. Can't this just be about France and its territories?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-04-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 AM

114 posts, read 351,665 times
Moderator cut: Sorry, the post you replied to was deleted, however your comment is appropriate.

Again sorry for short response, but time for writing a detailed answer is scarce
Being not French, I have not had the pleasure to travel all over this rather large country, and have stuck to the main centers.
I would not say that I have favorites or places I like less, as every place I've visited has its charm.

Let me answer your question about lesser known places.
I would definitely say the French alpine regions.
Internationally, people don't associate France with the Alps, but they are dead wrong. People go to Austria or Switzerland for the alps, they completely ignore the French or even Italian alpine regions.

As a hiker, I have seen the most deserted and wild trails and nature in the Italian and French Alps. Tourists just dont go there, except some hardcore hikers or local population.
There is basically a whole side of France that goes unnoticed once you go out of the tourist centers. Even simple things as taking a car and going through the centre of France on the small roads. This is REAL France. The France nobody sees except the French.

Stop in a village, have a plat du jour, a glass of wine or depending on the region, a draft beer.

Coming back to my favorite regions, again could not say. Could not for example mention Alsace-Lorraine area, because being Germanophone, this looks like the areas I come from.

But I do, as a historically inclined person, feel attracted to the old heart of Europe where so much happened. In France that is the area between Paris and Belgium. Those rolling plains. Those woods. Verdun, Rheims, Metz, the whole area near Luxembourg. It reeks of history.

But then again I love the south west and the Atlantic coast aswell, being a surfer

Its a very very hard question, because France is one of the few countries with no real bad areas imo.

If you were talking about Germany or even eastern Europe, I could talk about areas I dont care much for.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-04-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,508,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Perhaps other people know. That Hollande guy is playing with fire and harming Paris financial sector big time with his ideological crusade against "the rich".
French buyout bosses join flight to London - FT.com

To add to the cacophony, the proposal has been deemed as unconstitutional by the Constitutional Council.
French court says tax is unconstitutional - FT.com
Your links don't open. Anyway, the financial sector is the most criminal, psychopathic sector of the entire economy. Getting rid of those scumbags is the best thing that can happen to a city...

And what does that actor whatever his name was do with all the money the French people give him? He knows he doesn't deserve it and the people know it as well. Giving an actor millions of Euros is a luxury in itself. Maybe the French people should boycott his movies in the future, then he will see how much he can afford to buy from his new income...

Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,120,804 times
I understand these overseas territories are repserented in the French parliament or assembly?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM

5,423 posts, read 13,841,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd love to know what life is like for people living in the overseas regions like Martinique, Reunion, and New Caledonia. These all seem like great fun places.
France has plenty of magnificent, impressive, fun places outside of Paris.

Paris sometimes gets too much attention, so it is good to focus on other areas of this country.

Some regions of France can seem vaguely similar to some areas of the USA:

Provence Cote d’ Azur: California.
Rhone-Alpes: Pacific Northwest Washington state/Oregon.
Paris Ile-de-France: New York City and Chicago.
Midi-Pyrenees: Colorado/New Mexico.
French Polynesia, Reunion, and New Caledonia: Hawaii
Lyon: Seattle and Portland.
Marseille: Los Angeles
Corsica: California and Hawaii.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM

That's probably why France's population is growing steadily (in a healthy manner, i.e. people are still having enough children), while it is declining in places like Germany...

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I understand these overseas territories are represented in the French parliament or assembly?
Yeah, they are represented in the French government/parliament/assembly and show an official conformation that they are part of France. However, some of the overseas collectivities have a bit of a varied status compared to the other overseas regions such as Reunion vs. New Caledonia/French Polynesia.

They seem so unknown and mysterious internationally for people in other countries and it can be so surprising to a lot of people that France has up to 5+ versions of Hawaii with French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Reunion, Martinique, Guadeloupe, etc.

It might also be surprising to some people that France has 22 regions in mainland France with a lot of variety in character, personality, lifestyle, and scenery between plenty of those regions.

For a long time, I did not know about all of that for France, so it was an exciting, pleasant, and recent discovery.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's probably why France's population is growing steadily (in a healthy manner, i.e. people are still having enough children), while it is declining in places like Germany...
France also gets an increase for population growth with immigration from other countries.

That is another side of France probably not quite completely known internationally with the level of cosmopolitan/racial/ethnic diversity that France has. Some areas of France is already reaching an abundance with that kind of diversity.

Well, Germany is not France, but there is plenty to enjoy about Germany, and it can also offer a vibrant experience with life. That is also true with a lot of other various European countries: Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Czech Republic, etc. Those are all of my favorite European countries.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Why don't you just write Europe, you seem to like it anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe