Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM

36,813 posts, read 38,609,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Indeed, immigration is the only hope for Germans as natural population growth continues to decline. And once the economy goes south (which it will as economies always go in cycles), emigration will pick up again and immigration will cease.
I'd argue that we've been reaching an era of a different sort of population growth factors such as the possibility of extremely enhanced longevity and possible extensions of "working age" as well as enhanced fertility techniques which have allowed for greater possibility of conception later on in people's lives giving a possibility of raising the fertility rate through later conception. Then again, none of that might happen.

Anyhow, has anyone on this forum actually lived in any of the regions of France that are not in Europe? Any takers? Hell, even Corsica would do. How was it?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM

154 posts, read 430,180 times
France, such a beautiful country, such variety in people and culture and places. It must be a blessing to be born there.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,518,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd argue that we've been reaching an era of a different sort of population growth factors such as the possibility of extremely enhanced longevity and possible extensions of "working age" as well as enhanced fertility techniques which have allowed for greater possibility of conception later on in people's lives giving a possibility of raising the fertility rate through later conception. Then again, none of that might happen.

Anyhow, has anyone on this forum actually lived in any of the regions of France that are not in Europe? Any takers? Hell, even Corsica would do. How was it?

I have lived and gone to school in Tahiti, French Guyane, New Caledonia, Martinique, Guadeloupe, and know Corsica pretty darn well as both my Grand-Mother and Great-Grand Mother lived on the Island. Love them all. I have been to pretty much every single French dependency and DOM-TOM there is ( including the Kerguelen Islands which is basically a bunch of rocks on the way to the Antarctic and scientific base !) . I even lived in Pondicherry ( India) for a brief while.

All do feel very French culturally but with a twist if that makes any sense. Ie : flavoured with whatever native (or descendents of slaves) culture there is. From personal experience most people in those territories are against independence ( New Caledonia has a much stronger devolution /full independence movement but still in the minority), perhaps because unlike a lot of ex colonial islands they are doing better with France than they would without. And have the same rights as any citizens giving them more options.

Many people for example send their kids to university on French mainland because it is considered a good financial and economic move to do so. And of course there are more jobs there.

DOM-TOMs have their own sets of problems and issues like everywhere else but compared to the average post colonial Nation I would say they are doing OK. It is difficult for many people to find jobs in those places because most are mostly reliant on tourism so government jobs are a huge boon to the economy.

I know many people from Martinique, Guadeloupe, Tahiti and the vast majority of them consider themselves French. Tahitians have quite rightly been seeking more recognition of Polynesian culture but I think very few would wish to seek independence.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM

36,813 posts, read 38,609,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have lived and gone to school in Tahiti, French Guyane, New Caledonia, Martinique, Guadeloupe, and know Corsica pretty darn well as both my Grand-Mother and Great-Grand Mother lived on the Island. Love them all. I have been to pretty much every single French dependency and DOM-TOM there is ( including the Kerguelen Islands which is basically a bunch of rocks on the way to the Antarctic and scientific base !) . I even lived in Pondicherry ( India) for a brief while.

All do feel very French culturally but with a twist if that makes any sense. Ie : flavoured with whatever native (or descendents of slaves) culture there is. From personal experience most people in those territories are against independence ( New Caledonia has a much stronger devolution /full independence movement but still in the minority), perhaps because unlike a lot of ex colonial islands they are doing better with France than they would without. And have the same rights as any citizens giving them more options.

Many people for example send their kids to university on French mainland because it is considered a good financial and economic move to do so. And of course there are more jobs there.

DOM-TOMs have their own sets of problems and issues like everywhere else but compared to the average post colonial Nation I would say they are doing OK. It is difficult for many people to find jobs in those places because most are mostly reliant on tourism so government jobs are a huge boon to the economy.

I know many people from Martinique, Guadeloupe, Tahiti and the vast majority of them consider themselves French. Tahitians have quite rightly been seeking more recognition of Polynesian culture but I think very few would wish to seek independence.
Do any of these places have standards of living close to what is seen in mainland France rather than just better than just somewhat better their immediate neighbors?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,411,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I expected more responses.

Maybe I just have to post again some of the simple questions related to the topic:
No, I think you have said enough.

This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe