Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 07:52 AM

37 posts, read 59,399 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are born and raised American citizens who live in Seattle. We both always wanted to go to Russia and see Moscow and St. Petersburg. I have never traveled overseas and I hear a lot about how Americans travel to Russia can be quite difficult.

I have a few questions and I apologize in advance if they are quite basic.

1) Is a U.S. Passport all I need in terms of paperwork/identification?

2) Any airline recommendations? I saw that Delta flies to Moscow.

3) Any American friendly hotel recommendations in Moscow and St. Petersburg?

4) Do Americans need a 'sponsor family' while visiting Russia?

5) Is it easy to travel from Moscow to other cities or towns like St. Petersburg and Leningrad?

I thank you in advance for answering my questions. If there is anything important that I didn't touch upon, please let me know.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:00 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,612,491 times
You will need a visa to enter, even as a tourist. The process isn't too difficult, if you are at all familiar with the process of obtaining visas, and luckily there is a Russian Consulate right in Seattle:

Russia Consulate Seattle (US)

Here's some more info on getting a Russian Visa:

Step-by-step guide to getting a Russian Visa

Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
My wife and I are born and raised American citizens who live in Seattle. We both always wanted to go to Russia and see Moscow and St. Petersburg. I have never traveled overseas and I hear a lot about how Americans travel to Russia can be quite difficult.

5) Is it easy to travel from Moscow to other cities or towns like St. Petersburg and Leningrad?

I thank you in advance for answering my questions. If there is anything important that I didn't touch upon, please let me know.

Thank you

Good afternoon !
Passports will not be enough, need a visa, but about it you have already answered.
Hotels are many, there is no problem, it all depends on your needs.
It can be very expensive and ornate, but you can find a hostel for $ 10-15 per day. There is an option to stay in a separate apartment, it will be cheaper than a hotel, but it will need to work very hard to find, since the agency will want a lot of money and little work))
With the movement of Moscow to St. Petersburg, there is no problem, you can just train, a mono speed, it is possible on samolёt6e.
If you're in Moscow, not only limited to Moscow, for example, visit the Zvenigorod, very, very good spiritual mesto.Tam such atmosfera..Slovami not say the soul of this place you just have to feel. In general, around Moscow very much vsego.Muzey aviation, Tank Museum, a place where not only defeated army Napoleona.Mnogo what is.
The ride is best probably in May, to get to May 1, will be a lot of concerts in the streets and general celebration.

Something like that.
If that ask help than I can, because he is fond of hiking.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Thank you
And this is what you had in mind? I'm talking about is not heard nikogda.Ya my translator, as well as my English I brought?

Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 AM

102,353 posts, read 108,621,782 times
OP, the visa process hasn't changed too much since the Soviet period. Read the link provided, but the process will be much simpler for you if you simply book your travel through an authorized travel agency in Seattle, like Red Star Travel, for example. They'll set everything up for you, and will even go to the consulate to get your visa. That way, you don't have to worry about the details.

Everything needs to be set up in advance (travel to Russia, travel within Russia, and lodging), and pre-paid. You don't need an official invitation or sponsor, because you'll be going as a tourist. The special invitation/sponsor thing is for people who have some kind of official business or research interest with colleagues over there (generally speaking), which means they don't have to prepay and pre-arrange everything; it's assumed those colleagues will be taking care of the guests.

If you have questions after reading the link provided in the 2nd post, don't worry about it; you don't need to know, honestly. A qualified travel agent (meaning: one approved and recognized by the foreign ministry/consulate) will take care of everything. They'll give you a form to fill out, you need to provide thumbnail photos, and your passport.

May I suggest, when visiting St. Pete's: Peterhof, Peter's palace outside of town. There's a snack pavilion there, so you can spend an entire afternoon, or you can go to a grocery store in town and take a picnic. With luck you'll be able to ride one of the cool hydrofoils that travel the river delta to the palace, if they still have those.

When visiting Moscow: The Tretiakovksky Museum, and the Museum of the East. (Muzei Vostoka) Learn to use the metro. It's quite an experience. Also: the monastery to the north of Moscow--a day trip. The travel agent can arrange it.
http://www.redstartravel.us/

People think that arranging travel to Russia, or getting a visa, is a hassle, but they simply don't know how it's done. Just go to the travel agency, pay your money, and everything will be taken care of. Easy-breezy.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-08-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 11:56 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,287,304 times
Turist, use reverse translation to check (you can do it in Yandex), so you will see typos.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:03 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,287,304 times
Quote:
Leningrad is Sovet's name of St. Petersburg. This is one city. But the St. Petersburg's region has old name "Leningrad Oblast".

KCROYALS, why Russia?

Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Turist, use reverse translation to check (you can do it in Yandex), so you will see typos.
Yes, thank you)) Typos evil! )) Quietly getting used to deal with them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe