U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Berlin 20 46.51%
Madrid 23 53.49%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM

14,510 posts, read 16,208,659 times

Advertisements

Location - I guess Berlin

Scenery - Madrid

Climate - Both are fine, Madrid gets very hot in the summer, too hot for me

Urban layout - Tie, I guess

Parks - Madrid, Retiro

Public transport/road infrastructure - both very good

Architecture - Madrid

Streetlife - Madrid

Entertainment/Nightlife - tie

Dining/Cuisine - Madrid

Culture (Museums, Art.etc) - tie

People (Friendliness.etc) - tie

Cost of living/Livability - tie

Amenities - tie

Tourist attractions - tie
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 AM

233 posts, read 412,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
When I said many people do not think about Madrid when talking about main European capitals, I was thinking especially about non-Europeans, and especially American people. I don't think us Europeans tend to exclude Spain (and as such its capital Madrid) from the major EU countries.

But I've notices that many Americans are somehow reluctant to either visit Spain or to consider Spain as one of the major nations of western civilisation, among Italy, France, UK and Germany. The truth is that Spain has a longtime a (the) leading role in shaping western civilisation, in my opinion more than England or Germany, whose strong influence is relatively recent (compared to the lenth of western civilsiation).

I fear that some people might have some prejudiced with Spain because of the association of Spanish culture (language and such) with the poor immigrants that comes from Mexico. It seems that the image of hispanic cultures in the US suffer from the fact that many spanish speakers in the US are "ghettoish", and as such have somehow a bad image. For some reason, maybe some people might expect Spain to be the LA Mexican ghettoes?...

French

You are right there, many Americans associate Spain not with Mexico, a beautiful and fascinating country on all counts, but with illegal Mexican and Central American immigration. Some even think we eat tacos, not that we don't eat tacos and quesadillas, but not Spanish food.

It would be like if Spanish associated Senegal and Algeria with France because they are part of the French commonwealth.

Many also hate the fact that Spanish has a growing importance in areas that were formally Spanish or Mexican. Just reminds me to French complaining about the existance of "patois" in French Catalonia, I know, a deranged comparison..

But I won't criticize Americans for that...when in fact most Western Europeans thought that Europe ended in the Pirynees not long ago...L'Afrique commence aux Pyrénées...

Last edited by Gargamel10; 01-29-2013 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,916,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
But I won't criticize Americans for that...when in fact most Western Europeans thought that Europe ended in the Pirynees not long ago...L'Afrique commence aux Pyrénées...
This idea has never be a common thinking, that was just a citation from Alexandre Dumas that concerned his own opinion.
I know that some spanish people think that sentence is commonly thought, and that us french people have a feeling of superiority or something like that, that is not the case at all, actually not nowadays (maybe it was during Franco regime, I'm not even sure about that). Spain is probably the most appreciated country by many french people among our neighbours.
I never have heard any anti-speanish feeling that tended to think Spain to be somehow out from the rest of Europe, this would be common applyed to Britain.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM

233 posts, read 412,955 times
French

That was in the past. During Franco's time, I used to visit France a lot, but only Carcasonne, Perpignan, Saint Gaudens and to tell you the truth, they were friendly people. The only obnoxious behaviour towards Spanish was by Spanish immigrants or immigrants themselves, they used to treat tourists like dirt for some reason.
It was more political than anything else.
I read that some French towns in La Cerdagne want to be Spanish again for tax reasons, things have changed a lot, tax pressure in France is quite brutal.

Last edited by Gargamel10; 01-29-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM

84 posts, read 209,750 times
I was positively surprised about the city of Madrid. People were telling me not to go but I found it a pretty big and nice city with plenty of things to do.

Go to Madrid people!!

BTW Berlin is nice and has a good atmosphere too.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:22 AM

71 posts, read 141,993 times
location.tie.berlin more central.madrid surrounded by spains most important historic cities
scenery.madrid
climate.madrid easily
urban layout.tie
parks.tie
public granspoft/road infrastructure.madrid
architecture.madrid
streetlife.madrid by a huge margin
entertainment/nightlife.madrid really is europes nightlife capizal. berlin may have the edge on clubs but madrids diversity and nightlife attractions has no equal
dining cuisine.madrid
cultur museums.madrid
people friendliness.madrid
cost of living.madrid is cheaper but berliners have higher wages. tie
ammenities.madrid
tourist attractions.madrid

Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 AM

16,584 posts, read 25,581,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

I fear that some people might have some prejudiced with Spain because of the association of Spanish culture (language and such) with the poor immigrants that comes from Mexico. It seems that the image of hispanic cultures in the US suffer from the fact that many spanish speakers in the US are "ghettoish", and as such have somehow a bad image. For some reason, maybe some people might expect Spain to be the LA Mexican ghettoes?...
As sad as it is, I think there's a lot of truth to this. Some years back I heard a radio Dj talking about Spain and he actually said, "What's in Spain? It's probably just a country size version of TJ" (Tijuana). Add the fact that until fairly recently, there were many migrant workers from Spain across Europe and Americans knew about that. Unfortunately despite what some might tell you, the Spanish language has a negative image to many (of course not all ) Americans.

Now as far as which city I'd prefer? Not been to either but as you might guess if you've seen my previous posts, Berlin is where I would love to go if given a choice between these two.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 PM

3,399 posts, read 5,148,284 times
I love Spanish everything, but I have to admit that Berlin grabs me more. It's also my favourite of all cities I've ever visited. I think it wins every category except food, architecture and maybe climate depending on my mood.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:23 PM
JL

8,386 posts, read 13,595,007 times
I was in Madrid and really enjoyed my brief time there...my cousin has been to both and he said Berlin was more exciting overall.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,416,252 times
I'm in Berlin now but have visited Madrid many times

I think they are both very nice cities. The advantage Berlin has is that Germany has a better economy. I think the landscape is prettier in Berlin(the parks are prettier) but Madrid like barcelona has beautiful surrounding areas(Toledo is to die for)

I think visiting either one would be pleasant trip. Languagewise Spanish is an easier language but many people in Berlin speak some broken English.

I think the trasportation is better in Berlin. The food depends. Some restaurants in Madrid are really good but I find Berlin has more variety.

I find Berlin a little cheaper than Spain but except for rent eveything is more expenive than in the USA

Climate Barcelona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe