Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Berlin 20 46.51%
Madrid 23 53.49%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

Compare on:

Location - Berlin is more central

Scenery - Madrid, in a valley surrounded by mountains, Berlin is more flat

Climate - I'd prefer Madrid's warmer Mediterranean climate

Urban layout - Not sure

Parks - Not sure

Public transport/road infrastructure - both very good

Architecture - depends what you prefer. I think I'd prefer Madrid

Streetlife - Probably Madrid

Entertainment/Nightlife - both are great for clubbing. Madrid has more vibrant streetlife.

Dining/Cuisine - probably Madrid

Culture (Museums, Art.etc) - not sure

People (Friendliness.etc) - not sure

Cost of living/Livability - no idea

Amenities - no idea

Tourist attractions - both pretty good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Location - Maybe Berlin because it is more central, Madrid is more isolated from rest of Europe.

Scenery - Madrid I would say.

Climate - Madrid, although in summer it is extremely hot.

Urban layout - Tie. But I know better Madrid

Parks - Tie, Berlin has the huge tiergarten but Madrid has the Retiro park.

Public transport/road infrastructure - Madrid has better underground and you don't have to pay in each conection!

Architecture - Tie

Streetlife - Madrid due to the weather.

Entertainment/Nightlife - Both have been good for me.

Dining/Cuisine - Madrid more variety and local cuisine

Culture (Museums, Art.etc) - Difficult to compare Museum Island with the great Prado, etc. Tie!

People (Friendliness.etc) - Madrid (Berlin is not fay by the way)

Cost of living/Livability - So so... I would say Madrid but I was surprised about the fact Berlin is not expensive...

Amenities - No idea.

Tourist attractions - Berlin

Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Madrid for every category except Tourist Attractions and Nightlife.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Madrid. It is a CLEAN southern European capital, if not the cleanest among the capitals of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. The only thing is that I've yet to "define" what Spanish food is. I ate well when in Madrid, but I don't remember any of the platters I had. That's true of any place I've been in Spain, except for the Canaries where the food is similar to Cuban food.

If I didn't like Munich very much, I doubt I'd like Berlin.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,933 times
Madrid is nicer. Berlin has a crap load of parks ( too many, imo). Berlin has better public transportation because it's a major hub for trains in all directions and they've got the S Bahn. They also got a better night life than Madrid. Berlin seems to be the party capital of Europe now. I don't know how this happened, though. Not sure if Madrid is much more expensive than Berlin. I'm not up-to-date on the current rents/rental market in Madrid. I'm guessing things have gotten cheaper since there's massive unemployment in Spain.
The rest is all about personal preference, imo.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,714 times
Berlin. It's more unique, more diverse and more vibrant.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,823 times
Location - Madrid, less central on a east/west scale, but at once in western Europe, southern Europe. in the same time close to France, Morocco, Algeria and Italy

Scenery - Madrid, The sierra de Guadarama very close.

Climate - Tie. Contrary to what many people think Madrid climate is not mediterranean. The summers are much hotter than mediterranean coast, and the winters are much colder.

Urban layout - Madrid

Parks - Madrid

Public transport/road infrastructure - Madrid, the city is much more compact, the subway is modern and very efficient. Berlin is too much spread

Architecture - Madrid

Streetlife - Madrid

Entertainment/Nightlife - Madrid. no European capital is as much lively, spanish bar culture. Berlin is maybe a bit better for more "underground" stuff.

Dining/Cuisine - Madrid far away

Culture (Museums, Art.etc) - Madrid

People (Friendliness.etc) - Madrid

Cost of living/Livability - Maybe Berlin is cheaper. I'm not sure.

Tourist attractions - Madrid

To me Madrid is the most underrated of the big European capitals. We always hear people saying they go to Paris, Rome or London, but rarely Madrid. Madrid is actually the third biggest city of western Europe, has among the best museums in the world. The city is probably not as architecturally charming as Rome or Paris could be but largely worth to be among the top 5 of European cities to see. Just outside of Madrid the sierra de Guadarama offers natural mountains just out of the city; while the Escurial, Segovia or Toledo are exceptional historic places to visit less than one hour from the city.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:56 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
To me Madrid is the most underrated of the big European capitals. We always hear people saying they go to Paris, Rome or London, but rarely Madrid.
Even when Michael Buble sings "Home," he includes the other capitals, as you say, but not Madrid. Madrid is more of a discovery. When I went to Spain for the first time, I asked myself "What am I going to go see?" It wouldn't be Bilbao or Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. It was going to be Madrid and Barcelona. And then, when you're there, you acknowledge to yourself that Madrid is a very nice city. I didn't know what to expect, and was more positive than negative, but as a result of visiting it a few times, my opinion of it is very much positive.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,823 times
When I said many people do not think about Madrid when talking about main European capitals, I was thinking especially about non-Europeans, and especially American people. I don't think us Europeans tend to exclude Spain (and as such its capital Madrid) from the major EU countries.

But I've notices that many Americans are somehow reluctant to either visit Spain or to consider Spain as one of the major nations of western civilisation, among Italy, France, UK and Germany. The truth is that Spain has a longtime a (the) leading role in shaping western civilisation, in my opinion more than England or Germany, whose strong influence is relatively recent (compared to the lenth of western civilsiation).

I fear that some people might have some prejudiced with Spain because of the association of Spanish culture (language and such) with the poor immigrants that comes from Mexico. It seems that the image of hispanic cultures in the US suffer from the fact that many spanish speakers in the US are "ghettoish", and as such have somehow a bad image. For some reason, maybe some people might expect Spain to be the LA Mexican ghettoes?...

Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,670 times
I like Berlin (a lot), but I am all about warm climates If I had to pick, it's Madrid for no other reason than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe