U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 AM
 
17 posts, read 47,911 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

All the interviews and articles I've seen -- within the Netherlands and worldwide-- regarding Zwarte Piet specifically and the tradition of blackface more generally in the Netherlands seem to not include any opinions from black people in the Netherlands. Does anyone have a link, or any idea what some of their opinions are on the matter?

Secondary questions:

Do black people show up to the Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet parades? Do they themselves dress up in blackface to get "blacker" faces, like in the film Bamboozled?

Do they protest the inherent racism on display and being funded by the state?

Or do they mostly just stay home and keep the television off?

Do they try to shield their children's eyes, or do they explain to them what is happening and why it is happening?

Do black children who are born and raised in the Netherlands harbour any resentment as a result of the annual Zwarte Piet thing (and prevalence of blackface in other parts of Dutch society such as at least one major supermarket advertising campaign)

What about in the former Dutch colonies of Curacao and Suriname (and others?) where the vast majority of citizens are black, what is the attitude toward Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet parades there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
 
2,258 posts, read 5,239,407 times
Reputation: 2045
Default They love Zwarte Piet

//www.city-data.com/forum/europ...blem-race.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM
 
17 posts, read 47,911 times
Reputation: 37
Is there a specific portion of that rather long thread in which my original question is answered?

The article it links to also doesn't seem to pertain to the original question, which asks for black Dutch people's opinions on Zwarte Piet.

If it's in there and I've missed it, could you please kindly point to the specific page so that I'm not trawling through pages and pages of non-pertinent stuff? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 12:09 PM
 
2,258 posts, read 5,239,407 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepistiku View Post
Is there a specific portion of that rather long thread in which my original question is answered?

The article it links to also doesn't seem to pertain to the original question, which asks for black Dutch people's opinions on Zwarte Piet.

If it's in there and I've missed it, could you please kindly point to the specific page so that I'm not trawling through pages and pages of non-pertinent stuff? Thank you!
You're not gonna find "black Dutch people" on here.
Linda is Dutch and some of the other posters were Dutch, too. Right upper corner is where you can find each poster's location most of the time.
They don't mind, they don't think it's a big deal at all, it's not offensive, it's all good. That sums up opinions of the Dutch posters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,537 posts, read 14,748,242 times
Reputation: 5121
Next year lets have a Black Sinterklaas and Witte Pieten!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Monnem Germany/ from San Diego
2,302 posts, read 2,922,072 times
Reputation: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Next year lets have a Black Sinterklaas and Witte Pieten!

As long as you still have the White Wiet I´m there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
 
15,095 posts, read 5,355,748 times
Reputation: 5094
Interesting question. Just fyi, regarding the ethnic backgrounds of Surinamese people:

Hindustani (also known locally as "East Indians"; their ancestors emigrated from northern India in the latter part of the 19th century) 37%, Creole (mixed white and black) 31%, Javanese 15%, "Maroons" (their African ancestors were brought to the country in the 17th and 18th centuries as slaves and escaped to the interior) 10%, Amerindian 2%, Chinese 2%, white 1%, other 2%
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM
 
17 posts, read 47,911 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You're not gonna find "black Dutch people" on here.
Linda is Dutch and some of the other posters were Dutch, too. Right upper corner is where you can find each poster's location most of the time.
They don't mind, they don't think it's a big deal at all, it's not offensive, it's all good. That sums up opinions of the Dutch posters.
Well I didn't ask for black Dutch forum members, only any kind of written material anywhere in the history of the internet or newspapers which explores the opinions of black Dutch people on the matter at hand. 100% of the news articles on this topic interview only white Dutch people to find their opinions, as far as I can tell. This is despite the fact that the Netherlands has substantial population of black, brown and mixed-race citizens.

So that is my question: Is there a single article ever written anywhere in any newspaper or on any website at any time in history on the subject of zwarte piet where black, brown or mixed-race Dutch citizens discuss their opinions of this tradition? Because if there is, I have not found it. If someone else finds it, could they please post it here.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM
 
2,258 posts, read 5,239,407 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepistiku View Post
Well I didn't ask for black Dutch forum members, only any kind of written material anywhere in the history of the internet or newspapers which explores the opinions of black Dutch people on the matter at hand. 100% of the news articles on this topic interview only white Dutch people to find their opinions, as far as I can tell. This is despite the fact that the Netherlands has substantial population of black, brown and mixed-race citizens.

So that is my question: Is there a single article ever written anywhere in any newspaper or on any website at any time in history on the subject of zwarte piet where black, brown or mixed-race Dutch citizens discuss their opinions of this tradition? Because if there is, I have not found it. If someone else finds it, could they please post it here.

Thank you.

"substantial amount of black people" ? Compared to who? China?

You should have read the article I linked to. They talk about it a little.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM
 
Location: In a Galaxy far, far away called Germany
4,297 posts, read 4,201,379 times
Reputation: 2375
So now anything painted black is offensive? God forbid someone should play the Rolling Stone's song "I see a red door and I want to paint it black". Why aren't white people in an uproar over painted white faces on mimes. People need to quit being so darn sensitive. I am half Puerto Rican and I find it hilarious when white actors were made to look Mexican in old movies. In an age where black people (or darker than white, but not black - like the Moors) were not common in The Netherlands, they made do with what they had. It becomes tradition based on that and not a racist motivation.

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 02-14-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top