Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city iyo?
Barcelona 23 26.14%
Madrid 25 28.41%
Rome 31 35.23%
Milan 9 10.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Four way battle between these cities, which are fairly comparable.

Comparing using the following criteria or your own:

Scenery

Climate

Urban layout

Parks

Public transport/road infrastructure

Architecture

Streetlife

Entertainment/Nightlife

Dining/Cuisine

Culture (Museums, Art.etc)

People (Friendliness.etc)

Cost of living/Livability

Amenities

Tourist attractions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Scenery

Climate

Urban layout

Parks

Architecture

Streetlife

Entertainment/Nightlife

Dining/Cuisine

Amenities

Tourist attractions
In my view, Rome comes out on top in all major respects, except for location, where Milan probably beats them all, followed by Barcelona, from a pan-European perspective rather than a strictly national one.

Having said that, Italy has fallen behind in infrastructure investment over the past 20 years or so, while Spain has been relatively dynamic. Hence both Madrid and Barcelona, especially the respective metropolitan areas as a whole, may beat both Milan and Rome in terms of road infrastructure and amenities, even urban layout. Also, while I am sure that Milan is more expensive than Rome, not sure how they compare to Madrid and Barcelona, and how the latter two compare to each other. On those aspects I would defer to someone who has lived in at least one city in both countries and has studied all four in terms of cost of living.

To give an example of the practical problems in Rome, they cannot build modern underground garages because there is almost a 100% probability of making major archeological discoveries, which would bring any such project to a halt. As a result, triple, even quadruple parking, on the sidewalk and into the street, is quite common, and on some very narrow streets, making even walking with a stroller, for example, almost impossible. It's not so bad in Milan where double parking is common, but not triple, even quadruple. Not sure of the situation in Madrid and Barcelona.

You left out one major criteria, the probability of scoring gainful employment, in which respect I would feel more confident about Milan than any of the others.

Otherwise, on balance, I give the advantage to Rome.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM

295 posts, read 1,154,808 times

Scenery: Barcelona/Milan

Climate: Barcelona

Urban layout: Madrid

Parks: Madrid

Public transport/road infrastructure: Madrid

Architecture: Rome

Streetlife: Tie

Entertainment/Nightlife: Tie

Dining/Cuisine: Rome

Culture (Museums, Art.etc): Rome

People (Friendliness.etc): Rome

Cost of living/Livability: Any

Amenities: Rome

Tourist attractions: Rome

Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 AM

88 posts, read 235,108 times
I've been to 3/4 and will finally explore Madrid the weekend after next. Excited!

Location: Milan - Closer to central Europe than all the rest.

Scenery: Rome - Central Italy is gorgeous.

Climate: Rome - Central Italy and north east Spain aren't drastically different. Much too cold in Milan.

Urban layout: Rome. They've done a good job of mixing the old with the new.

Parks: Rome. I haven't seen anything on the level of Villa Borghese in the other cities

Public transport/road infrastructure: Barcelona. Driving/parking in Rome is generally considered to be a nightmare.

Architecture: Rome. Walking through neighborhoods like Trastevere feels like you're on the set of a movie.

Streetlife: Rome. Definitely the most exciting of the cities I named.

Entertainment/Nightlife: Rome. The Spanish party longer but I think Italians party the hardest.

Dining/Cuisine: Rome. Italian food is my favorite, especially in the Lazio/Campania region.

Culture (Museums, Art.etc): Rome. I mean, it's Rome.

People (Friendliness.etc): Rome. Milanese are more northern. Catalans don't stand out. Romans are pretty friendly.

Cost of living/Livability: All are very expensive to an American lol. I guess Barcelona

Amenities: Milano. Possible to buy just about anything you can think of.

Tourist attractions: Rome.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Scenery
Barcelona, sourrounded by hills, open on the mediterranean, with Pyrenees not far behind.

Climate

Barcelona or Rome. About the same climate.
Madrid too hot in summer, and bit cold in winter. Milan is too hot/humid in summer and can very cold in winter.

Urban layout
Barcelona far ahead. Exceptional architecture of all periods. Birth of modern urban planning was there (Cerda), modernism (Catalan "art nouveau"). Many exceptional architects.

Parks
Maybe Madrid for the Retiro or Rome for the Villa Borghese that lies in the very center

Madrid. Very good, clean and modern metro, wide afficient Avenues. Barcelona not far behind. Worst is Rome, it is just impossible to move in that city, where public transport of almos non-existant.

Architecture

Barcelona has everything an architect could dream of. Rome is obviously exceptional for its antic ruins, and the renaissance architecture, but seem nothing happened there since the 1700's.

Streetlife
Madrid or Barcelona. All kind of streets; big tree-lined Avenues from tiny medival streets. Passeig de Gracia, Gran Via, etc. Nothing like that in Rome or Milan.

Entertainment/Nightlife
Madrid or Barcelona

Dining/Cuisine
Madrid or Barcelona. Italian food is extraordinary, but unfortunally Rome seems now to have only horrible fast foods for tourits.

Madrid. The Prado is probably one of the 3 or 4 best meseums in the world. Also Madrid is the heart of the Spanish-speaking culture in Europe.

Madrid

All of them are very expensive

Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,593,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In my view, Rome comes out on top in all major respects, except for location, where Milan probably beats them all, followed by Barcelona, from a pan-European perspective rather than a strictly national one.

Having said that, Italy has fallen behind in infrastructure investment over the past 20 years or so, while Spain has been relatively dynamic. Hence both Madrid and Barcelona, especially the respective metropolitan areas as a whole, may beat both Milan and Rome in terms of road infrastructure and amenities, even urban layout. Also, while I am sure that Milan is more expensive than Rome, not sure how they compare to Madrid and Barcelona, and how the latter two compare to each other. On those aspects I would defer to someone who has lived in at least one city in both countries and has studied all four in terms of cost of living.

To give an example of the practical problems in Rome, they cannot build modern underground garages because there is almost a 100% probability of making major archeological discoveries, which would bring any such project to a halt. As a result, triple, even quadruple parking, on the sidewalk and into the street, is quite common, and on some very narrow streets, making even walking with a stroller, for example, almost impossible. It's not so bad in Milan where double parking is common, but not triple, even quadruple. Not sure of the situation in Madrid and Barcelona.

You left out one major criteria, the probability of scoring gainful employment, in which respect I would feel more confident about Milan than any of the others.

Otherwise, on balance, I give the advantage to Rome.
Please... if there wasn't such a bad unemployment, there wouldn't be any doubt: Barcellona is by far and by large more livable than Rome and Milan.
Rome offers more archaeological areas, but that's all: when it comes to streetlife, nature, recreational opportunities Barcellona - compared to Rome - is on another planet.
I lived in Rome for five years; it's really a stressful, exhausting city.
Also - outside its small historical center - it's even an ugly city.

Last edited by italianuser; 03-04-2013 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domfromco View Post
Urban layout: Rome. They've done a good job of mixing the old with the new.
Really? I guess you haven't seen the real Rome outside the historical center
New architecture in Rome is AWFUL.

Quote:
Parks: Rome. I haven't seen anything on the level of Villa Borghese in the other cities
Never liked Villa Borghese.
Never.
Dirty, gritty and quite neglected... also, there's a lack of facilities compared to other urban parks such as Central Park.
In five years that i lived in Rome I strolled through Villa Borghese maybe ten times: I din't see the appeal.

Quote:
Architecture: Rome. Walking through neighborhoods like Trastevere feels like you're on the set of a movie.
Yeah... if you like graffiti, decay and filth

Quote:
Streetlife: Rome. Definitely the most exciting of the cities I named.
Yeah... streetlife in Rome is amazing... if you like being surrounded by a chaotic rush hour that lasts 24 hours per day: traffic in Rome is comparable to some asian cities

Quote:
Entertainment/Nightlife: Rome. The Spanish party longer but I think Italians party the hardest.
Absolutely not...

Quote:
People (Friendliness.etc): Rome. Milanese are more northern. Catalans don't stand out. Romans are pretty friendly.
I lived in Rome for five years: the amount of rude people was unbelievable. And unbearable.

Last edited by italianuser; 03-04-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Never been to Milan but in those 3:

Location Milan, lol next to other countries.

Scenery Madrid

Climate If you like streme Madrid or Rome if you like soft Barcelona

Urban layout Madrid

Parks Madrid in general, but Park Guell is awesome in BCN.

Public transport/road infrastructure Definitively not Rome lol, Madrid again.

Architecture If you like ancient culture of course Rome, if you like modernist Barcelona and if you like 18th Century (kind of Paris) then Madrid.

Streetlife Barcelona in the day

Entertainment/Nightlife Madrid

Dining/Cuisine Tie

Culture (Museums, Art.etc) Rome and Madrid

People (Friendliness.etc) Madrid

Cost of living/Livability Maybe Rome?

Amenities not sure about the meaning.

Tourist attractions Madrid and Rome

Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM

Scenery: Barcellona

Climate: Barcellona

Urban layout: Barcellona (less spread out than Rome)

Parks: Barcellona (Rome has a lot of parks, but unfortunately they aren't in good shape)

Public transport/road infrastructure: Barcellona (Rome is as large as NYC, but it has just two subway lines)

Architecture: Barcellona (it doesn't have significative archaelogical areas, but it's more complete than Rome)

Streetlife: Barcellona

Entertainment/Nightlife: Barcellona

Dining/Cuisine: Barcellona (I prefer italian food, but Barcellona food scene tends to be more cosmopolitan and creative)

Culture (Museums, Art.etc): Rome

People (Friendliness.etc): Barcellona

Cost of living/Livability: Barcellona

Amenities: Barcellona

Tourist attractions: Barcellona

Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Rome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe