Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,504,523 times

Advertisements

I know most of you are American and Belgium is a bit far, but maybe you can help me planning my trip to Belgium, it is a short one.

I am going to Belgium from 16th to 19th March (Sat-Tue) We are a couple of 2 Spaniards, our ages are 25 and 27.

The plan is arriving to Charleroi airport at 21h and take public transport to Brussels Centre.

Those days we want to visit Brussels, Lovaine, Gent and Brugges (maybe a lot?) we don't need to visit museum just sightseeing or maybe very few of them.

Our plan is: one day (sunday for example) complete to visit Brugge and Gent, for example going to Brugge, sightseeing there, and after visit Gent before coming back to Brussels

The next day (monday) going to Lovaine and spend the morning there, then afternoon and Tuesday we can visit Brussels.

Both of us know already these places (except Gent and Lovaine) so maybe the visit is less fast than it seems, now my questions:

-¿Cheapest way to arrive from Charleroi to Brussels centre? I've read the net but maybe some locals know a better and cheaper way.

-I have heard that train is cheaper on sundays so... Maybe we can get a ticket Brussels- Gent- Brugge- Brussels for good fares? Do we have some student or under 25 discount?

-How is St Patrick day in Brussels??

-Cheap places to eat in Belgium? we want to spend as less money as possible. I've heard about a place where they give big sandwiches next to GrandPlace the best sandwiches in Belgium.

That is all from now, maybe I'll ask some lates.

Thanks friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM

14,796 posts, read 17,795,820 times
Three days? I would do Brussels and Bruges and no more.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,263,007 times
I would cut back on the number of places you want to visit, four cities in three days seems too much. You'll be rushing from one place to the next. You could easily spend the entire day in one of those cities without getting bored. I've been to Brussels, Ghent and Bruges and all three are amazing places (Bruges especially, the most beautiful city in Belgium imo). I have posted pictures I took while I was in Ghent in another thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/28550357-post14.html), perhaps you're interested in that. Anyway, to answer your questions:

- Regarding public transport: if you're going to travel a lot by train, I recommend buying a "Go Pass". It allows you to travel all over Belgium (10 fares) for just 50,00. You can both travel on one Go Pass. The only provision is that you're under the age of 26 but I've never seen anyone being checked for that. If your fellow traveller looks young enough to pass for 26, I'd take the risk You can buy the Go Pass at the train station and it's valid for a year. If you need more information, see: NMBS/SNCB - Go Pass 10

- Regarding cheap food: I think I know what you are talking about. There's a place that sells really nice baguettes (you can select the filling yourself) at a relatively cheap price. I forgot the name but you can find them near (or at) train stations so you are bound to run into them when you're travelling.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM

The reason I want to see many places is that it'as the second time we visit Belgium, and we don't want to visit the places very deeply. However I would like to have some graet pics and sightseeing.

By the way maybe Brussels, Ghent and a morning in Lovaine is enough...

Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,806,517 times
Hi

I used to live in Leuven Belgium few years ago.
So, one day one town should be OK. I think none of these places require more than one day.

In Leuven there is the Oude Markt which is a big square for nightlife, mainly open-air sit-out bub/café type. Everyone goes there in the evenings, especially Friday/Saturday. People drink (beer) and chat, I think thousands of people at a time, very vibrant. You can stay in a hotel at the train station. They also have restaurants at the bottom of those hotels. There are maybe 8 hotels next to each other at the train station. From the Oude Markt to the train station just walk through the Bondgenotelaan in about 10 minutes, no need for a taxi or bus.

For a day trip I suggest Oostende at the sea, check the beach (even if it's cold), the pier (have a beer at the end of the pier), and the city center (lunch outside in one of many restaurants, walk, take photos of the boats).
Bussels also doesn't need a lot of time spent there, a half day or one day is fine.
You can go anywhere fast by train. I think Leuven to Oostende train trip is 2 hours through Brussels and Brugge.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,980,081 times
Hey Catbelle, I'm from Ghent so I'm a bit biased to what cities you ought to visit . But I would recommend my city nonetheless, as it is a wonderful, vibrant city with a gorgeous, pedestrian-friendly center. Louvain and especially Bruges are beautiful as well. One warning: try not to be in Bruges on a saturday afternoon: the city is literally swamped with tourists.

As Linda said, try a Go-Pass for the person younger than 26: it'll cost you 50 euro for ten rides all over the country. For the person older than 26, you'll officially have to buy a RailPass, costing € 76 for ten rides. But, again as Linda said, maybe you can try for the GoPass nonetheless.

Regarding the cheapest way to travel from Charleroi to Brussels, I think it's best to just take the train. Maybe you can go with the bus (TEC), but than you'll probably have to change over and you'll lose a lot of time.

Anyway, here are some links:

Official website of NMBS/SNCB - Home

Turismo de Bélgica: Flandes y Bruselas - *Ideas para visitar Flandes

Home | Visit Gent

And a recent article from the Daily Mail about my city:
Belgium city breaks: Ghent is a quirky city of charm | Mail Online

Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 AM

268 posts, read 880,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I know most of you are American and Belgium is a bit far, but maybe you can help me planning my trip to Belgium, it is a short one.

I am going to Belgium from 16th to 19th March (Sat-Tue) We are a couple of 2 Spaniards, our ages are 25 and 27.

The plan is arriving to Charleroi airport at 21h and take public transport to Brussels Centre.

Those days we want to visit Brussels, Lovaine, Gent and Brugges (maybe a lot?) we don't need to visit museum just sightseeing or maybe very few of them.

Our plan is: one day (sunday for example) complete to visit Brugge and Gent, for example going to Brugge, sightseeing there, and after visit Gent before coming back to Brussels

The next day (monday) going to Lovaine and spend the morning there, then afternoon and Tuesday we can visit Brussels.

Both of us know already these places (except Gent and Lovaine) so maybe the visit is less fast than it seems, now my questions:

-¿Cheapest way to arrive from Charleroi to Brussels centre? I've read the net but maybe some locals know a better and cheaper way.

-I have heard that train is cheaper on sundays so... Maybe we can get a ticket Brussels- Gent- Brugge- Brussels for good fares? Do we have some student or under 25 discount?

-How is St Patrick day in Brussels??

-Cheap places to eat in Belgium? we want to spend as less money as possible. I've heard about a place where they give big sandwiches next to GrandPlace the best sandwiches in Belgium.

That is all from now, maybe I'll ask some lates.

Thanks friends.
Maybe I can help you.
For a few days, Brussels, Bruges, Ghent and Lovaine are good choices. I suppose you go to Lovaine because you know some students there? (same for Ghent).
If you have the time, replace Ghent by Antwerp (if you already know Ghent, it is an option).

Between al those cities, taking the train is the best option.
For people below the age of 26, there is a Go-Pass available. It costs 50 euros and contains 10 single trips. So, with 2, you can make 5 trips by train for 50 euros.
Go Pass 10

You can buy the Go-Pass in every station. They will not verify your age and the Go Pass is anonymous.
I'm 29 and still using the Go Pass...

For people older than 25, there is a Rail Pass. Looks almost the same, costs 76 euros.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 AM

Thank you very much for your answers so:

I am 25 and I can buy the pass for 50 euros, and it can be used for both of us, right? 5 rides each one.

From Charleroi to Brussels I have hear both, train and bus, but maybe if we buy the train pass we have:
- Charleroi Brussels. x2
- Brussels- Gent -Brugge- Brussels. x4
- Brussels-Lovaina x4
- Brussels -Charleroi. x2 again.

So we have the 10 rides done plus two, am I right?

We plan to visit Lovaine because my boyfriend says it's beautiful but I have no idea to be honest

Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 AM

14,796 posts, read 17,795,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Thank you very much for your answers so:

I am 25 and I can buy the pass for 50 euros, and it can be used for both of us, right? 5 rides each one.

From Charleroi to Brussels I have hear both, train and bus, but maybe if we buy the train pass we have:
- Charleroi Brussels. x2
- Brussels- Gent -Brugge- Brussels. x4
- Brussels-Lovaina x4
- Brussels -Charleroi. x2 again.

So we have the 10 rides done plus two, am I right?

We plan to visit Lovaine because my boyfriend says it's beautiful but I have no idea to be honest
Ok, then Brussels, Bruges and Lovaine. Otherwise you won't appreciate anything.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Ok, then Brussels, Bruges and Lovaine. Otherwise you won't appreciate anything.
Sorry maybe I explain myself wrong, I think in case we choose between: Gent Brugges we choose Gent because we both already know Brugge

How about the weather??? I know it's crazy in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe