Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM

450 posts, read 1,504,086 times

Advertisements

We have already made our reservations and bought our airline tickets to arrive in Frankfurt on July 24th and depart on August 27th.

Our son is stationed at Ramstein and we were going to stay with him at his place which is about 30 miles from the base. Do to unforeseen problems (he wrecked his car and can not get another one.) We will not have a place to stay or a car to drive around in for the 35 days we are there.

I can rent a car for $1500.00 which we will have to do..... Grrrrrrrrr....... But finding a place to stay is another question that we do not have a answer to.

My son will be losing his place soon and move back on the base. He is not in a position to contact us very often so I am trying to cover my butt and see if there is anywhere to stay that would be close to the base.

Thanks Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I can rent a car for $1500.00 which we will have to do..... Grrrrrrrrr....... But finding a place to stay is another question that we do not have a answer to.
I am not able to suggest a proper place close to the AFB, but I can tell you that you should make your car rental arrangements from your homebase, in California. Get the car *with* your flight ticket !!!
1500 sounds a bit on the high side !

One thing that might help ...
How many friends does your son have locally ?
Maybe they can help ?
I have been away for too long !

What I can suggest :
Do not stay in a hotel, when a room at somebody's place (Zimmer Frei) might do !
BTW, *Zimmer Frei* does NOT mean it costs nothing, it does mean that there is a room available !

Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
For Hotels and small holiday appartments look here:

VG Ramstein-Miesenbach - Hotels & Ferienwohnungen Its in germaan but if you contact the places they will speak english being in Rammstein.

For auto rental Buchbinder has small cars starting at 29 per day: https://www.buchbinder.de/germany/rent-a-car.html

Sixt has a Smart for 25 and VW Polo for 29 per day; Sixt Autovermietung: Mietwagen günstig online buchen*

Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
Landstuhl has nice places to stay it's close to Ramstein Air Base (it's AB when overseas and AFB when stateside) and you really won't need a car at all. The train system is wonderful and you can get anywhere you want. If you want to do a lot of traveling while you visit your son, then you can get a better deal by purchasing a Euro-pass and this will allow you to go on any train without having to buy a ticket everytime.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM

450 posts, read 1,504,086 times
Thanks this will give me a place to start...........

Any more ideas???????

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
Ramstein may have base TLF (Temporary Living Facilities) that your son may be able to put you up in. He will have to pay for it, but then you can pay him. You will have to get a base pass for the time you are there, but there will be a bus shuttle that takes you everywhere you need to go (including the Landstuhl Bahnhof, where you can go anywhere in Europe).

Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Good questions, LeeB. I have no stake in this but decided to research transportion and found the Rick Steve's website. You might try there for even more answers.

https://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/...ion/index.html

Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
For Hotels and small holiday appartments look here:

VG Ramstein-Miesenbach - Hotels & Ferienwohnungen Its in germaan but if you contact the places they will speak english being in Rammstein.

For auto rental Buchbinder has small cars starting at 29 per day: https://www.buchbinder.de/germany/rent-a-car.html

Sixt has a Smart for 25 and VW Polo for 29 per day; Sixt Autovermietung: Mietwagen günstig online buchen*
we stayed at the Circle Inn VERY close to the base for a few weeks last year....LOVED it. Wonderful free breakfast, hi speed internet included...very clean, wonderful place to stay with HUGE suite type of rooms. We are VERY much looking forward to our next stay with them.

Hotel Circle Inn Ramstein-Miesenbach - Hotel in Ramstein - Hotel Ramstein

they are on the listing in the above quoted post. Great people and the "breakfast" area turns into a "pub" area in the evening....ground immaculent and right outside the gate of Ramstein AB proper.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
We have already made our reservations and bought our airline tickets to arrive in Frankfurt on July 24th and depart on August 27th.

Our son is stationed at Ramstein and we were going to stay with him at his place which is about 30 miles from the base. Do to unforeseen problems (he wrecked his car and can not get another one.) We will not have a place to stay or a car to drive around in for the 35 days we are there.

My son will be losing his place soon and move back on the base. He is not in a position to contact us very often so I am trying to cover my butt and see if there is anywhere to stay that would be close to the base.

Thanks Lee
You can use your son's car (or one of his friends) if you have advance authorization by providing your license and some other stuff. He can get the information for you. It would be a lot cheaper.

You can also use public transport.

I'd stay near the bahnhof; won't you be spending most of your time traveling?

Might want to post this in the military folder, you'll probably get some current and local responses.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Ramstein may have base TLF (Temporary Living Facilities) that your son may be able to put you up in. He will have to pay for it, but then you can pay him. You will have to get a base pass for the time you are there, but there will be a bus shuttle that takes you everywhere you need to go (including the Landstuhl Bahnhof, where you can go anywhere in Europe).
Ramstein has great facilities at a reasonable price.
Don't know if parents/family members can stay, though.
Also, check Airbnb.com for accommodations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe