U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 01:55 PM

97 posts, read 155,867 times

Advertisements

Hi forumers,

This question is for Germans or Americans who lived in both countries for quite a long period of time.

I currently live in the UK but I am considering moving back to United States or move forward to Germany. I have been in Germany for a short period of time, but have never lived there on permanent basis.

In Germany I am considering south region: Baden-Württemberg or Bavaria

In United States I consider Midwest or Northeast: Minnesota, Colorado or Maine, Massachusetts (but can consider any other places)

Next is my question:

How comparable the life quality between this two counties (regions I mentioned)?

• Disposable income
• Social support
• Medical care
• Anything else what you see as important

I appreciate your opinion on this matter
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 03:31 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,033,878 times
I lived in Germany for a very long time and also in the Midwest, Wisconsin to be exact. Quality of life is very difficult to quantify in my opinion and it depends a lot on your expectations.
For me personally the quality of life in both countries is very similar. In Germany I had the exact same things, be it a car, a nice apartment, cell phone etc. What makes the US more appealing to me is my potential significant other , lots of great friends and the wide open spaces. Also love the Great Lakes.

Surprisingly, rentals in the Milwaukee area are much more expensive than rentals back in Germany. If you're planning on buying, the US will be cheaper, but of course that also depends on where exactly. My parents' house in the middle of nowhere, Germany, is probably much cheaper than a house in a fancy suburb of Chicago, Milwaukee or Minneapolis.

Disposable income may be higher or lower, depending on your profession. The average is higher in the United States, but many people have to pay for medical care out of their own pockets or have a plan with high deductibles, which can significantly reduce the disposable income.

Do you speak any German? If not that will definitely limit your employment options in Germany and you should rather move to the States. If you have a visa that is...

Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 AM

677 posts, read 794,044 times
Rob702, in your experience, do regular Germans speak good English?

Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I lived in Germany for a very long time and also in the Midwest, Wisconsin to be exact. Quality of life is very difficult to quantify in my opinion and it depends a lot on your expectations.
For me personally the quality of life in both countries is very similar. In Germany I had the exact same things, be it a car, a nice apartment, cell phone etc. What makes the US more appealing to me is my potential significant other , lots of great friends and the wide open spaces. Also love the Great Lakes.

Surprisingly, rentals in the Milwaukee area are much more expensive than rentals back in Germany. If you're planning on buying, the US will be cheaper, but of course that also depends on where exactly. My parents' house in the middle of nowhere, Germany, is probably much cheaper than a house in a fancy suburb of Chicago, Milwaukee or Minneapolis.

Disposable income may be higher or lower, depending on your profession. The average is higher in the United States, but many people have to pay for medical care out of their own pockets or have a plan with high deductibles, which can significantly reduce the disposable income.

Do you speak any German? If not that will definitely limit your employment options in Germany and you should rather move to the States. If you have a visa that is...
Hi Rob. Thank you very much for your answer. No, I speak German just a little, but I am learning it currently.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 AM

2,296 posts, read 2,654,574 times
Check out the expat forum Toytowngermany.com. Take the more negative posts with a grain of salt- people like to complain and sometimes go on about how things were better at home.... I moved here for my now ex wife I have been living in Germany for 14 years now and am here to stay and don´t regret it..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 AM

36,607 posts, read 18,829,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Rob702, in your experience, do regular Germans speak good English?
I lived in Germany for a few years, and that's a hard one to answer. Most educated Germans do in fact speak fairly good English, but they tend to be a bit reticent - being well-spoken is important in Germany (speaking correct German is hard and they take pride in it) and so they shy away from English from fear of appearing uneducated. In white-collar jobs, most will be able to communicate.

As for the man-in-the-street, it was a bit of a crapshoot in my experience - probably close to 50-50, once you're not in tourist areas.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:25 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,589,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As for the man-in-the-street, it was a bit of a crapshoot in my experience - probably close to 50-50, once you're not in tourist areas.
Pretty much. I met as many people who didn't speak it as did in cities. Out in the rural areas...may drop as low as 25%. At least it was much rarer that people would attempt to switch and I never pushed the issue as I never had to.

This was my experience with northern Germany though where I have by far spent the most time. I spent a few months around Mannheim and Heidelberg and met more people who spoke English, but I take my experiences there with a huge grain of salt as there is a huge US military installation in the area.

The Netherlands seems like a far better bet in that department. I understand but don't speak Dutch. My English success rate was much higher there than ever was in Germany. Just my experience with it.

Unless you have some special skill like engineer or software developer, etc, don't expect much from the job market if you don't speak intermediate to fluent German. English is a huge plus, but you'll need German to function in the work place.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 AM

677 posts, read 794,044 times
Thanks, that's interesting to know because there's a common opinion that "all Germans speak English, especially younger ones"

Old 11-23-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that's interesting to know because there's a common opinion that "all Germans speak English, especially younger ones"
Yes, I have heard it many times, but during my visits to Germany I didn’t see very many Germans who can speak English fluently. I would say that Swedish speak English way better.
Of course there are always some Germans who speak English.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:37 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,033,878 times
Quote:
They do speak English, they are just not all super fluent because they don't have to use it on a daily basis. Since Germans are perfectionists they are also intimidated to speak with native speakers unless they feel 99% confident.

OP if you do not want to work as an English teacher or for a large English-speaking company you'll have quite a hard time finding an appropriate job. Speaking German just a "little" is definitely too little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or