U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,154 times

Advertisements

I'm from New York, but I will be studying abroad in Strasbourg at EM Strasbourg Business School from January to May. I'm a public accounting major and plan on going into the internal audit field. I already have experience working at a Big 4 accounting firm and have another internship for the summer of 2014. Will this help me when I get to France?

I've saved up money for my stay but want to be able to make some extra money on the side just in case. I have a friend from Scotland who found a job at a graphic design company in Paris even though his French is horrid, lol. Apparently a lot of the people at his company speak English so it is not a problem. Have any experiences you could tell me about that could help or maybe websites that I could refer to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:12 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,209,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBouzy View Post
I'm from New York, but I will be studying abroad in Strasbourg at EM Strasbourg Business School from January to May. I'm a public accounting major and plan on going into the internal audit field. I already have experience working at a Big 4 accounting firm and have another internship for the summer of 2014. Will this help me when I get to France?

I've saved up money for my stay but want to be able to make some extra money on the side just in case. I have a friend from Scotland who found a job at a graphic design company in Paris even though his French is horrid, lol. Apparently a lot of the people at his company speak English so it is not a problem. Have any experiences you could tell me about that could help or maybe websites that I could refer to?
That's gonna be rough. Your friend was very lucky. I'm guessing you can work on a student visa... but there are probably some limitations.
Your friend from the U.K. dosen't count. He can, of course, work anywhere. I would ask the school you are attending. It's a private school (?) and they should be able to refer you.
The unemployment rate is at 11%. Might not be the best time for a paid internship. Especially when it's in accounting and the business schools are full ( as they are everywhere ).

Email your school and ask. Finding something in English will be very difficult. You can always still apply to any position advertised and hope they'll be ok with it.

Good luck

Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM

821 posts, read 865,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBouzy View Post

I know many people from the Grandes Ecoles from HEC to some ESC. (and also from EM Stras)
You will find it easily even if you don't speak French. Many companies in France require only English.
If you want to work as a consultant or in audit in one of the big4, you only need to have a coherent professional project. Make sure your internships are coherent with what you want to do.
Many friends of me from India, Canada, UK, Italia, Spain, Germany found a job in France in audit or as a consultant after being graduated.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM

Oo Sorry you are looking for an internship?
You ll get one without any problem but they 'll offer you only 1300 euros net a month. For HEC it is between 2000 and 4000.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
That's gonna be rough. Your friend was very lucky. I'm guessing you can work on a student visa... but there are probably some limitations.
Your friend from the U.K. dosen't count. He can, of course, work anywhere. I would ask the school you are attending. It's a private school (?) and they should be able to refer you.
The unemployment rate is at 11%. Might not be the best time for a paid internship. Especially when it's in accounting and the business schools are full ( as they are everywhere ).

Email your school and ask. Finding something in English will be very difficult. You can always still apply to any position advertised and hope they'll be ok with it.

Good luck
That so funny!
Why do say that if you don't know the job market and the school...?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,813,593 times
Nope, you wanna be in Europe you gotta learn a European language spoken in taht particular country! English does not count!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe