Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you hear any difference between Swedish and Norwegian?
They sound the exact same 3 11.54%
They sound slightly different, but still very similar 18 69.23%
They sound very different 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:31 PM

990 posts, read 1,945,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
No Norwegian would say "god spis," except possibly someone deliberately mangling their dialect to make it sound Swedish. "God appetitt,"(Bon apetit) or more likely "Værsågod" (Help yourselves) would be what you're looking for... But you're right, many words are the same or at least very similar - I'd hazard a guess that most Scandinavians can read text written in all three languages.

I can also guarantee you that if those show hosts had been from Western or Northern Norway, they would not have been able to interview Skarsgård so easily in their native language Notice how at the very start, he doesn't quite understand them, and then they start making an effort to enunciate.
But at least its proof that the languages are extremely similar since its even possible to have an interview on TV. That would for example never work between English and Dutch which is similar, but not at that level, no matter which English or Dutch dialect they used.

And "varsågod" is very common to say in Sweden as well, either that or "smaklig måltid". Some older people says "god spis".

As for dialects, there is even dialects of Swedish that I dont understand anything of, just listen to Överkalixmål:
http://swedia.ling.gu.se/Ljud/Norrla...lix/oka_ym.wav

Or why not Närpesmål:

Lasse Eriksson - Häschtjäschfjälin - YouTube

And of course Gutamål:

Gotlands dricko - YouTube

If you understand this you are better at Swedish than me. I can understand just a few words and meanings of Gutamål, but as for Närpesmål and Överkalixmål, could as well be different languges, but is Swedish nonetheless, Närpes kommun is actually in Finland but is located in the Swedish-speaking Österbotten and is officially Swedish-speaking. The Närpesmål dialect has nothing to do with Finnish, its just a very old fashioned and distinct Swedish dialect.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 12-29-2013 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 04:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
My exposure to Norwegian has been limited, and I have clear difficulties to understand some of what they say. I get what they're talking about, but when I'm not that familiar with many of the words used, some sentences are difficult to comprehend. Reading Norwegian is obviously easier, as I can take my time and figure out the unclear words in peace.

So naturally I hear a clear difference between Swedish and Norwegian, and Danish as well.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
My exposure to Norwegian has been limited, and I have clear difficulties to understand some of what they say. I get what they're talking about, but when I'm not that familiar with many of the words used, some sentences are difficult to comprehend. Reading Norwegian is obviously easier, as I can take my time and figure out the unclear words in peace.

So naturally I hear a clear difference between Swedish and Norwegian, and Danish as well.
Its also common that foreign students who learns Swedish as their second language has a hard time understanding Norwegian. But also Finns who speaks Swedish as a first language, since they do not live anywhere near Norway and there is little to no Norwegian influence on the very small Finland-Swedish media (Yle Fem) as far as I know. Swedish-speaking people in Sweden however most likely knows what words like "vanskligt" etc means which actually is a Swedish word as well, just not commonly used anylonger.

South-western Scandinavia which includes Oslo, Gothenburg, Malmö and Copenhagen and several middle-size cities surrounding them has the highest population density in Scandinavia. Stockholm though is a bit off being on the Baltic coast surrounded by lakes and forest.

I think that a west coast Swede (and very many Swedes are from the west coast), as well as many landlocked western Swedes like Värmlanders, Dalslanders, Dalecarlians, Jämtlanders, etc are probably more likely to understand Norwegian than a Stockholmer. Still though it will be much easier for a Norwegian to get understood in Stockholm than in a Swedish-speaking town in Finland.

In Sölvesborg where I live which technically is on the east coast (but only 1 hour and half from the Öresund bridge) we dont have any greater problem understanding Norwegian or even Danish for that matter, the rest of Sweden though has a problem understanding us cause when SVT made a documentary about the Sölvesborg fur farming industry it was shown with subtitles on TV.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 12-30-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 PM

308 posts, read 398,587 times
Närpesmål sounds a little bit like dialects from Hallingdal. Not that I understand any of it, nor Gutamål

That said, people from southeastern Norway (at least those who didn't recently move there) have a heck of a time understanding people from other parts of the country unless we speak s l o w l y I think living too close to a nation's capital makes you slow-witted :P

Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
Närpesmål sounds a little bit like dialects from Hallingdal. Not that I understand any of it, nor Gutamål

That said, people from southeastern Norway (at least those who didn't recently move there) have a heck of a time understanding people from other parts of the country unless we speak s l o w l y I think living too close to a nation's capital makes you slow-witted :P
And people in Stockholm are not the best at understanding southern Swedish dialects either, look here what happens when someone from the south tries to order at McDonalds in Stockholm, they dont even understand that water in Skånska is "vand" and not the standard Swedish "vatten". We say vand in Blekinge as well, which is also in the south.

raj raj Nour beställer mat på skånska - YouTube

Old 12-30-2013, 01:17 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Swedish and Norwegian has an impressive amount of dialects, for example comparing to Finnish. Here the dialects have been "standardized" for long, and except for a few isolated pockets, most people speak just standard Finnish with a few regional words and pronounciations to spice it up.

The Lapland dialect is the only one which creates even some minor difficulties, but even for that no subtitles are needed.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:04 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,612 times
But in Norwegia they have 2 different languages, don't they? bokmål and nynorsk

Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 PM

308 posts, read 398,587 times
Well, three if you count Sami, which is completely unrelated, but only bokmål and nynorsk are taught in schools to everyone. However, both are strictly written languages, nobody speaks like what the texts say. Both are approximations - Bokmål is supposed to be closer to the Danish that clergy and public servants used for 400 years, while Nynorsk was, at least in its inception, supposed to be closer to the dialects spoken by ordinary people outside government circles, and outside of the Christiania/Oslo area. There is determined policy to make these two written languages more similar, but in certain circles it is very trendy to write in a very distinctive Nynorsk.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:21 PM

Personally I find Nynorsk writing a bit more similar to Standard Swedish writing than Bokmål sometimes, like for example byrja intead of begynne, veke instead of uge, vatn instead of vann etc, those words are more similar to the Swedish words (börja, vecka and vatten). And like Swedish, it is more common to use a in some words in Nynorsk instead of e, like elskar instad of elsker. But at the same time they can be more different in many situations.

Example:

"I come from Norway":

Standard Swedish: "Jag kommer från Norge"
Bokmål Norwegian: "Jeg kommer fra Norge"
Nynorsk: "Eg kjem frå Noreg"

In that case, Bokmål is clearly more similar to Swedish than Nynorsk. Still, I dont have any problems reading either of them, some has said that written Nynorsk is "very similar" to Icelandic and Faroese but I call BS on that, most Norwegians (including Nynorsk writers) as well as other continental Scandinavians can't read Icelandic/Faroese unless they learnt it. Sure we can read and understand a few words and sentences of Icelandic and Faroese, but not any context of it. Kind of sad I would say, cause its Faroese and Icelandic that is the most similar to our common ancestor Old Norse. But here on continental Scandinavia we speak languages and dialects that has been bastardized by hundreds of years of German and French influences.

It is of course also worth mentioning that Bokmål and Nynorsk are not languages, they are official standard written versions of the language Norwegian, and its not the only language that has more than 1 written standard (the one I can think of right now is Serbian, which has both Cyrillic and Latin official standard written versions). There is no persons who speaks Bokmål or Nynorsk, only writes. Bokmål tends to be similar to spoken Norwegian in the east, and Nynorsk tends to be similar to spoken Norwegian in the west.

Similarly, there is not really any persons who speaks Standard Swedish as its written, however it is the most similar to the dialects spoken in the Mälaren Valley area (Stockholm, Uppsala, Eskilstuna, Örebro etc) where about 1/3 of Swedes lives.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 12-31-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 02:32 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,612 times
Thanks for the detailed description!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe