Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:10 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not in their culture to smile for no reason. Get them in private, and there are plenty of smiles, lots of laughter, and genuine heartfelt friendship and caring. Really, it doesn't take much to get Russians to smile.

Flashmob Moscow (Russia) : Putting on the ritz 2012 - YouTube

I am aware I know Russians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:12 AM

217 posts, read 326,218 times
Strong bias, but I've yet been in contact with any culture that's been more friendlier than Greeks.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:27 AM

98 posts, read 268,896 times
British and Dutch people are relatively friendly. Mediterranean people are colorful and exuberant but not so friendly that they seem.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocking chair View Post
British and Dutch people are relatively friendly. Mediterranean people are colorful and exuberant but not so friendly that they seem.
It may be due to some false stereotypes. At least in Spain, we tend to be effusive, extroverted and so talkative with our relatives and friends. It's simply by our manning of acting, our ways of relating.
Otherwise, when talk to strangers is concerned, we usually are more reserved than many foreign people could expected, although extremely cold behaviour are rare, as in other countries tend to be.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:29 PM

560 posts, read 600,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
It may be due to some false stereotypes. At least in Spain, we tend to be effusive, extroverted and so talkative with our relatives and friends. It's simply by our manning of acting, our ways of relating.
Otherwise, when talk to strangers is concerned, we usually are more reserved than many foreign people could expected, although extremely cold behaviour are rare, as in other countries tend to be.
True that!

When I first brought my then american girlfriend, and now wife, to meet my parents, we were staying a full summer at our house here in Lisbon, Portugal, and she once was behaving like really awkward and she said "Oh my gosh you're grandma was so mad at you!!"

I was like: "What?" Ohh no no... we were just talking normally. ahah

Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
The latest survey I could find was this one for 2013. Iceland came out on top.

TOP 10 FRIENDLY COUNTRIES
1. Iceland
2. New Zealand
3. Morocco
4. Macedonia
5. Austria
6. Senegal
7. Portugal
8. Bosnia & Herzegovina
9. Ireland
10. Burkina Faso

Read more: Friendliest country in the world named

The comments section in the above article are interesting. Most of the comments are negative which just shows people are always going to be contrary and disagree.

Last edited by Bernie20; 05-01-2014 at 12:28 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 06:11 AM

111 posts, read 340,103 times
My cousin has been to Poland, and she said the people there were really nice. Granted they do drink a lot, but they're nice otherwise.

I can see why Iceland is on top. They're probably excited to get tourists at all - Iceland is in the middle of the freezing ocean. They must love having tourists.

Bosnia doesn't surprise me. I met a Bosnian Muslim guy who was almost too nice - I don't think I had ever seen someone so polite in my life. I had to tell him that I could get the door myself. (We don't have many people from Yugoslavia down here in Brazil, so I was surprised to meet this guy. He was a recent immigrant - he was younger than me.)

In my experience, New Zealanders tend to be very outgoing. The nice ones want to be your friend the minute they meet you. I met a couple of surfers from there on vacation in Florianopolis - they even gave me surfing tips.

To me, nice and friendly are different things. I have a friend who immigrated here from Romania. He's definitely not friendly since he doesn't talk to many people, but once you do get to know him, he's actually pretty nice. Friendly means that you're more cheerful and outgoing.

Still, perception of foreigners depends on your experience with them. I know a girl who thinks that Argentinians are snotty and egotistical because of her experience with them. My experience with Argentinians was mostly positive - I've even got relatives in Argentina.

Last edited by ninoleo; 05-03-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 AM

271 posts, read 369,739 times
Norway is the more friendly country in Europe. Very helpful, speak good English and has good taste. Among the more rude countries I have visit would be France. Very few speak English outside major cities so it can be though time on streets, in shops and restaurants. Not to speak English is not a sign of being rude but when they don’t even try it makes me angry. Sure, French is one of the most sophisticated and beautiful languages in the world but one could hope they learned at least a few words of English. English is not my first language and I’m skilled enough to order food in English.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 AM

536 posts, read 611,502 times
France. Don't care what anyone says, take your freedom fry nonsense and sh...It is France.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:30 PM

28 posts, read 56,693 times
Here in Greece people are very friendly to the point they can be effusive and cross your personal space. I've met people who started talking to me about their personal life since day 1.
Or others might start talking to you while you are in a bus stop or in a cafe. Greeks like to joke around a lot and it's easy to make friends here.

I find northern and northwestern Europeans a little colder. When I talk to them I can't feel the connection I feel when I talk to say other Mediterranean people. They talk about more neutral subjects.
As for Americans I think they're superficially friendly. In Europe it's easier to see who is genuinely friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe