Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:52 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
The fact that such an obvious thing still needs to be repeated makes me despair. Some people literally can't grasp the concept of people speaking other languages.
Yup, sad, isn't it? Most Americans seem to have an attitude of entitlement, believing that much of the rest of the world should speak their language. They're really missing out.

I wonder if Canadians are this bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:30 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,026,336 times
bulgarians are very friendly to tourists. Just like turks - if you can consider turkey "european". I think Romania and Ukraine as well. So the friendliest euro countries:

1. romania
2. bulgaria
3. ukraine
4. (turkey)

The least friendly are probably Sweden or Switzerland. Or maybe France? Not too sure...

Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,724 times
The perceptions that British are not friendly is wrong. All Europeans are friendly if you and them can talk in English. I work at an airport outside of Europe. Japanese I seldom have a chance to talk much with them because their culture is more different and their english level is very bad. Other Asians are much better to talk to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most nationalities are friendly if you know the language. That's the key. Sure the Irish and Scots are friendly towards Americans, because they speak the same language! Canadians and Brits (outside of London) are friendly, too. Surprise, surprise. Go to southern Germany speaking German, and you'll find the people are wonderful. Same with France (even Paris ). You name it: Poland, Russia, Romania, Croatia, etc.

How friendly are English-speakers when approached by foreigners who don't speak English? See how that works?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,724 times
The perceptions that British are not friendly is wrong. All Europeans are friendly if you and them can talk in English. I work at an airport outside of Europe, not an anglophone country. Japanese I seldom have a chance to talk much with them because their culture is more different and their english level is very bad. Other Asians are much better to talk to.
Many europeans or latin americans keep talking to me in English but actually I am not very good in English.
Quote:
Most nationalities are friendly if you know the language. That's the key. Sure the Irish and Scots are friendly towards Americans, because they speak the same language! Canadians and Brits (outside of London) are friendly, too. Surprise, surprise. Go to southern Germany speaking German, and you'll find the people are wonderful. Same with France (even Paris ). You name it: Poland, Russia, Romania, Croatia, etc.

How friendly are English-speakers when approached by foreigners who don't speak English? See how that works?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,014,228 times
if you are traveling do you want people to be friendly? Me I traveled a lot I don't bother about they are friendly or not.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:24 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,944 times
Quote:
Yup, sad, isn't it? Most Americans seem to have an attitude of entitlement, believing that much of the rest of the world should speak their language. They're really missing out.

I wonder if Canadians are this bad?
I never understood this. Where's the fun in that? Where is the adventure? Last thing I want on a holiday is to hear everyone around me speaking Dutch. When we go on holidays, mostly by car, we always say "the holiday starts when people can't understand us anymore".

Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,432,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
if you are traveling do you want people to be friendly? Me I traveled a lot I don't bother about they are friendly or not.
That's because you're Dutch.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
That's because you're Dutch.
It's not a Dutch thing, but European one.
I'm from Spain and most people here really don't care about friendliness when traveling around.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
From my experience in Western Europe, the Dutch and Italians are pretty friendly. I hear the Czechs and Romanians are also pretty friendly in Eastern Europe but I haven't experience it firsthand.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:17 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,877 times
Romanians are friendly only if you're a foreigner and do that because are scared by unknown. If you're a Romanian, they eat you alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe