Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,867 times

Advertisements

What I mean by friendly, I mean like the type where you can say hi or have a chat with a stranger at a Café, restaurant, store, out in the streets, etc. Kind of the type of extroverted, outgoing people. Kind of the type where you know, where I can walk an old cobblestone street with nice old architecture, say go to a bakery, order a bread and have a nice conversation with the baker...

Automatically, what comes to my mind is a small town on the mediterranean...Like a small town in Spain, Portugal, Italy, France...maybe Germany.

Which countries, towns or regions am I most likely to ecounter these type?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Folk in rural Southern England - pretty reserved, not particularly extroverted or friendly in a very over the top manner as some Americans are, but generally polite, and amiable. Northern England might be a different matter.

Italians - they can be, but they are more reserved in general than I expected, but their English isn't generally not as good if they can speak much at all. I have met some who are very extroverted, though, as well as Spanish.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Folk in rural Southern England - pretty reserved, not particularly extroverted or friendly in a very over the top manner as some Americans are, but generally polite, and amiable. Northern England might be a different matter.

Italians - they can be, but they are more reserved in general than I expected, but their English isn't generally not as good if they can speak much at all. I have met some who are very extroverted, though, as well as Spanish.
Americans as in the USA? Or do you mean anyone from Alaska to Argentina? Here in my town everyone is nice, polite and what you said, but very uptight and not friendly. There are some exceptions, but I don't know, maybe it's just that Mexicans and Latin Americans are much MUCH more friendly and extroverted... But yeah maybe English, especially South English are more reserved than the americans. I think the least reserved and most outgoing and fun Europeans I've met are the Spanish. Though not all Spanish are like that, but in general they are more than other Europeans. I know, I heard that Italy is like you mentioned, also maybe it could be it's demographics since there are lots of old people and kids live with their grandparents practically. Maybe that is why Italians are introverted but I could be wrong.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Wait, how is Turkey and Greece (if that is considered European)? Are Turkish and Greeks like the Latin Americans? Kind of like you can walk around the town and greet someone with a smile and good day, and they do the same to you? I think maybe I'll just go to a beach in Latin America.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
It will be surprising to some, but it's not unusual to greet and chat with strangers in rural Austria when it's not totally out of the blue... I guess it's pretty similar to that in other European countries. Why don't tourists experience that? Probably because of the language barrier.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Wait, how is Turkey and Greece (if that is considered European)? Are Turkish and Greeks like the Latin Americans? Kind of like you can walk around the town and greet someone with a smile and good day, and they do the same to you? I think maybe I'll just go to a beach in Latin America.
Turkey is wild. So many people in Istambul, very friendly. Sometimes, speaking as a woman, too friendly.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Americans as in the USA? Or do you mean anyone from Alaska to Argentina? Here in my town everyone is nice, polite and what you said, but very uptight and not friendly. There are some exceptions, but I don't know, maybe it's just that Mexicans and Latin Americans are much MUCH more friendly and extroverted... But yeah maybe English, especially South English are more reserved than the americans. I think the least reserved and most outgoing and fun Europeans I've met are the Spanish. Though not all Spanish are like that, but in general they are more than other Europeans. I know, I heard that Italy is like you mentioned, also maybe it could be it's demographics since there are lots of old people and kids live with their grandparents practically. Maybe that is why Italians are introverted but I could be wrong.
Yes 'Americans' usually refers to people from the USA. If you want it to seem that the person behind the counter is just delighted to meet you, go to parts of America and Australia. Don't see that as much in the UK (not to say all or even most Aussies are like that, but there are more like that).

I feel a lot of Italians might be a bit jaded with tourists...IME countries with fewer tourists are either very friendly or very suspicious. It depends on how well they know English of course.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,018 times
I would say Switzerland and Austria would be the easiest places to strike up conversations - they are used to seeing tourists and appreciate the business. Like in the U.S and Canada, however, it is a very superficial friendliness, so don't expect a dinner invitation. I know this is cliched but it's true. The friendlier people are from the outset, the less genuine it is.

Don't hesitate to offer a tip if someone (e.g. taxi driver) goes out of their way to assist you.

And yeah, it definitely helps to know the local language, especially please, thank you, hello and goodbye.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I would say Switzerland and Austria would be the easiest places to strike up conversations - they are used to seeing tourists and appreciate the business. Like in the U.S and Canada, however, it is a very superficial friendliness, so don't expect a dinner invitation. I know this is cliched but it's true. The friendlier people are from the outset, the less genuine it is.

Don't hesitate to offer a tip if someone (e.g. taxi driver) goes out of their way to assist you.

And yeah, it definitely helps to know the local language, especially please, thank you, hello and goodbye.
Where'd you come up with that nugget? I haven't found this to be true at all.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Where'd you come up with that nugget? I haven't found this to be true at all.
My travels. Of course there are exceptions in both senses but I don't find much substance in the friendliness of those who are immediately and excessively friendly. Polite would be a better term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe