Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Don't know what you talking about ? what does it have to do with initial question ?
The impact of Arabic on the Andalusian language was rather limited. Andalusian Spanish doesn't sound the way it does because of Arabic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 PM

208 posts, read 547,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moisses View Post
Castillian has about 500 important words coming from Arabic, Catalan, almost none.

Moisses a.k.a Artur Mas

Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
When an Arabic speaker speak Spanish, does he sound like an Andalusian person?
Never heard an arab or arabic speaker speak spanish and curious to know, since spain and especially Granada and Andalusia were under muslim rule for over 700 years
No, and I'm from Granada.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Zambra is a type of flamenco with arabic influence, period, and actually the least famous and popular.
Zambra is a style invented by Manolo Caracol in the 40's, mixing flamenco with arab music.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
It's the other way around,the andalusian who have an arab accent.just listen to flamenco music which is originally an arab music
False

Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestertonto View Post
Not true. A large part of Flamenco was brought from Gypsies, and the rest is African and Spanish moorish. Black Africans created most of the basis of Flamenco, taking as base moorish and Gypsy music. Such a fact is easily seen in all the novels of the "Golden Century", 16th and 17th Century.

Andalusian blacks "negros curros" were expelled to Havana some 250 years ago, there they were instrumental in the creation of all Cuban and Latin American music (tango, bolero, zaranandas, etc).
False, flamenco roots are very ancient, it comes from mineotic culture, and has influences from all around the world, been the most important the indian, brought by gypsies.

This is the older kind of flamenco still played, Verdiales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX2xWImZ56s

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM

22 posts, read 57,227 times
Not sure. If you've heard North African and Middle Eastern immigrants speak Spanish, you can decide whether or not they sound Andalusian. I've heard that ex-Spanish PM Felipe Gonzalez has a thick Andalusian accent. You can use him as a reference.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Most Latin American dialects of Spanish are based on Andalusian Spanish.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 742 times
Spanish language has nothing in common with Arabic language, the fact that we share some phonetic sounds is just a coincidence. Spanish comes from Latin, whereas Arabic is a Semitic language, so the basis is totally different, they have absolutely nothing in common. Spanish has a lot more in common with English than with Arabic. I am Spanish, I have studied Arabic too (at uni and by choice, nothing to do with me being from spain) and I can tell you the only similarity it's the sound "j" and maybe the vowels because we don't have many and the sounds are strong (like Arabic), contrary to English language. I am From Andalusia, more specifically from the very south, closer to Africa than to the rest of Spain, Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish territory, and a lot of people there can speak Arabic and Spanish because they are either Arabic who are born there, moved there or whatever, but Spanish people with no recent Arabic blood definitely don't speak Arabic, the fact that now some people do is just due to the proximity with Morocco, same than the rest of Arabic people in the world don't have to speak Spanish, we were under Arabic control years and years ago, we have a lot of history from there like our buildings, but that doesn't mean that we share their language or anything like that. Here, it is said that we have Arabic blood and that is why we are the "only" Europeans that have brown hair and dark eyes and still white skin, while almost all the Europeans have white skin, blonde hair and light eye colours... I hope this helped you a bit

Ed: I read some people saying that we have words coming from Arabic, that is true but now they're Spanish words that dont sound too much like Arabic, aceituna (olive) comes from the Arabic word zaytūnah, needless to say that the actual word don't share "much" phonetics with the original Arabic word. But they aren't too many... We have some words commencing with Al- that's Arabic too, but overall we don't sound similar. Anyway I'm not the one to talk about this any deep because my knowledge of Arabic is very very poor.

Last edited by Egp22; 02-21-2016 at 04:20 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 02:43 PM

426 posts, read 394,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But see, more recent immigrants can't dictate their rules, but back in the day when arabs were conquerors, under their religion local women could be easily forced into harems.
So Spaniards can consider themselves lucky if the arabic admixture there is only 11%.

Moorish were expelled and Andalusia was settled by northeners. In fact, there are more traces of Berberisc blood in North Spain --and Jewish blood, because the Inquisition was not "efficient" in the north.

No, Muslims don't speak with Andalusi accent at all.

Many Morrocans and Tunisians speak perfect Spanish and French, they are very dexter at languages.

In Morrocco you can find Andalusi Spanish or "Castilians" as they call themselves, the ones that speak Spanish speak perfect Spanish and are very cultured. I was surprised because many have Spanish last names and do look Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe