Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:17 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
There are many differences - Brits tend to be less religious and maybe more liberal, and the stance on abortion is pretty drastic, but there are many similarities too, and our two countries look like the same place.

Ireland is extremely rural by comparison with the inherently urban uk , rural countries tend to be more conservative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I disagree maybe its because i'm from NI. But certainly here we are basically the same as England. Same shops, same laws, same education system etc.

well your from the uk so your not even talking about Ireland , Ireland is the republic of Ireland , northern Ireland merely has a large minority who are irish

Old 01-17-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Except that the Irish corporate tax rate is 12.5% and 24% or something like that in the UK. So American companies seem to prefer Ireland for that reason. For example Dell, Intel or Google.

the effective corporation tax in france is lower than in Ireland in reality , what the tax rate is officially is often very different from the reality

Old 01-17-2014, 05:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

I've leaving out eastern Europe because basically its kind of the "frontier" of Europe, even if not literally.
It's interesting that you left out Eastern Europe, since most of the people I knew who ended up as American ex-pats in Europe often ended up in places like Prague teaching English.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Since when?
Since forever

Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,523,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
This maybe a generalization, but I am curious to see if you're experiences match what I can tell so far, based on the people I have known over the years.

Amongst North Americans (Americans + Canadians) if I were to boil down the major draw/pull of those particularly in their 20s/30s to different regions of Europe, I would categorize it as this:

UK/Britain: Major pull/draw of N. Americans are UNIVERSITIES and to some extent London for the sake of London. (UK have the universities compared to the rest of Europe that are more internationally known, as well as London having a bit of the draw that NYC has in North America. (ultimate culture and excitement)

versus:

Germany and lesser extent Scandinavia: Biggest draw here is business/industry/companies. Britain doesn't have quite the edge in the business and international corporation arena the way Germany and lesser extent Scandinavia does (smaller populations, but particularly Sweden?) But they are the leaders in Europe in business/industry.

versus:

Spain, Italy, and a lesser extent France and Switzerland: Here the biggest draw is the simple enjoyment of visiting living here, the romantic charm, scenery, here the draw is less about business or education. Although those in the arts careers: (performance, visual, maybe culinary) may move to these countries for opportunities.

I've leaving out eastern Europe because basically its kind of the "frontier" of Europe, even if not literally.

This is NOT a competition, or suggesting any clichés or stereotypes, this is more about does this match up with what you have seen as far as Americans moving to Europe.
Painting with a broad brush, of course, but I think there are going to be massive differences amongst N. Americans of different ages. College, grad school, or just after will be concerned more with the experience of living abroad. I suspect that most would choose a country based on the language they would like to learn (probably mainly Spanish and French), that some would choose based on a particular university program, that some would choose a place that feels a little more adventurous (Russia, Greece, Portugal, Prague, Budapest) and that some would choose UK/Ireland simply for the language.

I think a mid-career adult would probably fall into one of two camps: 1) works for a company with a satellite/headquarter office overseas, and 2) works remotely and wants to try a new place. Person 1) is going where the other office is. If there are multiple choices, that person will probably choose based on the work itself, but may be influenced by their cultural interests. Person 2) probably is looking for a lifestyle change and maybe some adventure. I would bet that Central Europe and the Mediterranean countries are favorites.

Finally, there are the retirees and soon-to-be-retirees. I suspect that these people are primarily looking at cost of living and lifestyle (and maybe sometimes an ancestral home region). I suspect that Italy, Portugal, Spain, and the French countryside are big winners amongst this group.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
well your from the uk so your not even talking about Ireland , Ireland is the republic of Ireland , northern Ireland merely has a large minority who are irish
Well its on ireland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe