U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,742 times

Advertisements

amaroW,

I thought that you were ranting throughout this thread, but I left you alone because I actually love Paris as well, but enough is enough. No offence, I do not know what kind of economist you are, but you are COMPLETELY wrong in A LOT of the things that you have been spouting. I know first hand because I have lived throughout Europe, North & South America including Germany (Cologne), France (Paris), and US (NY). I can tell for a fact that US is richer than France by virtually every economic measure. It is not even up to debate. I can also tell that Germany is a richer, more stable economy than France. Even my friends and I who are all lawyers, consultants, bankers etc will testify to more opportunity in Germany. The pay is slightly more in Paris, but the cost of living is MUCH more than it would be in Berlin (been there as well and think it's a great city). If all things were even, I would go with where I feel more comfortable.

If you want to have an economics discussion, start another thread and I will gladly join in. And yes, I understand economics demonstrated by the fact that I have an MBA, engineering degree and worked for 2 of the most prestigious international business consulting firms in the world (by the way, my father was also an international development economist).

By the way, what type of crime rate are you quoting? I can quote crime rates for France (per the standard 100,000). US has more burglaries, car thefts, drug offenses, but France has more people that have been victim of assaults, more reported rapes and more rape victims. There is not less TOTAL crime in all France than there is in New City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Lol it is so hilarious.
There are less crime in the entire France than in New York City.
for 100 000 inhabitants:
UK rate 1,2
France rate 1,1
Canada rate 1,6
USA rate 4,2
Marseille 2,1 (less than in the USA...)
And France has one of the lowest poverty rate in the world with Norway!
7% for France
15% in the USA
16% in Germany
7% means there is no poverty in France. Most French are very very rich compared to an American person for instance.
Minimum wage is 1200€ net a month and if you are unemployed (never worked) you receive between 700 and 1500€net a month.. So poverty can t exist. Homeless people in France are from the rest of Europe...
French people are the richest people in the world after Swiss and Australian...so what are you talking about. Go study!
Rate this post positively

Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,490,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ema331 View Post
amaroW,

I thought that you were ranting throughout this thread, but I left you alone because I actually love Paris as well, but enough is enough. No offence, I do not know what kind of economist you are, but you are COMPLETELY wrong in A LOT of the things that you have been spouting. I know first hand because I have lived throughout Europe, North & South America including Germany (Cologne), France (Paris), and US (NY). I can tell for a fact that US is richer than France by virtually every economic measure. It is not even up to debate. I can also tell that Germany is a richer, more stable economy than France. Even my friends and I who are all lawyers, consultants, bankers etc will testify to more opportunity in Germany. The pay is slightly more in Paris, but the cost of living is MUCH more than it would be in Berlin (been there as well and think it's a great city). If all things were even, I would go with where I feel more comfortable.

If you want to have an economics discussion, start another thread and I will gladly join in. And yes, I understand economics demonstrated by the fact that I have an MBA, engineering degree and worked for 2 of the most prestigious international business consulting firms in the world (by the way, my father was also an international development economist).

By the way, what type of crime rate are you quoting? I can quote crime rates for France (per the standard 100,000). US has more burglaries, car thefts, drug offenses, but France has more people that have been victim of assaults, more reported rapes and more rape victims. There is not less TOTAL crime in all France than there is in New City.

I direct you to the website: www.nationmaster.com where you can find a comparison of the crime rate between the US and France. It is broken down into 15 categories by the type of crimes. In 11 categories, the US has the lead with a higher crime rate, and in only 4 categories, which are assault victims, rapes, rape victims, and software piracy, France leads. When it comes to my personal safety, I would take France over the US any day.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 AM

821 posts, read 872,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I direct you to the website: www.nationmaster.com where you can find a comparison of the crime rate between the US and France. It is broken down into 15 categories by the type of crimes. In 11 categories, the US has the lead with a higher crime rate, and in only 4 categories, which are assault victims, rapes, rape victims, and software piracy, France leads. When it comes to my personal safety, I would take France over the US any day.

Ofcourse, and all people know it except people who have an MBA, engineering degree and worked for 2 of the most prestigious international business consulting firms in the world...

Rape stats:
USA rate per 100k each year
32.2, 32.3, 31.8, 31.5,30.6,29.8,29.0,27.3
UK rate per 100k each year
France rate per 100k each year

Assaults:
USA: no real stats
Germany : 619
Norway : 346
France : 180

PS: France unemployment rate is not 11% but 9.8% (France) and 10.2% (with overseas departments) (never reached 11%) but the productivity is not falling like in the USA or in UK...and that's why employment up in those countries.

Therefore if you have to choose between Paris and Berlin, Paris is by far the better choice because France is the best place to live (number 1 according to all surveys).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shes-25th.html

Last edited by amaroW; 03-06-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 01:23 PM

James777,

I actually did use that site. I was simply pointing out the fallacy in amaroW's last comment when he stated that there was "...more crime in New York City than there was in all of France". That is simply not true. The total crimes committed in NYC (total population 9 million) is not more than the total crimes committed in France (total population 65 million). Crime rates and total crimes are two ENTIRELY different things. NY isn't even listed as one of the most dangerous cities in America (Buffalo - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes & The Most Violent Cities In The World - Business Insider). In fact, NY is considered the safest of the largest 25 large cities in the US, according to the FBI crime report (Michael Bloomberg says New York is safest big city in United States | PolitiFact). Out of the 245 cities with a population of 100,000 or more (according to the FBI), New York City ranked 230th in terms of total crime committed (only 15 cities out 245 had less crime).

By the way, I was not born in the US nor to American parents, but spent significant time there working after university and attending graduate school in New York. While I love Europe (and Paris), I cannot stand it when someone keeps making obtuse and incorrect statements (not you) on a discussion board and won't be corrected. This discussion was about Berlin/Paris and he brings up NY?????? And then he adds another erroneous statements to the countless others he made earlier.

The original OP cannot go wrong either way if the job is good and she is also socially fulfilled. I like both Paris and Berlin and would prefer Paris (slightly) over Berlin, but Berlin is a fun place to live in as well (I have friends who live there and I have been there).

Quote:
Ofcourse, and all people know it except people who have an MBA, engineering degree and worked for 2 of the most prestigious international business consulting firms in the world...

Rape stats:
32.2, 32.3, 31.8, 31.5,30.6,298,29.0,27.3

Assaults:

PS: France unemployment rate is not 11% but 9.8% (France) and 10.2% (with overseas departments) (never reached 11%) but the productivity is not falling like in the USA or in UK...and that's why employment up in those countries.

Therefore if you have to choose between Paris and Berlin, Paris is by far the better choice because France is the best place to live (number 1 according to all surveys).

France tops list of best places to live in the world for fifth year in a row... but Britain languishes in 25th | Mail Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM

amaroW,

I stated my credentials because you stated yours several times in this blog response to justify your incorrect assessments. Mind you, I like Paris a lot, but I never would have stated a lot of the things you stated nor used the manner that you used in this blog. By the way, you do know that there is a DIFFERENCE between the country of France and the city of Paris? You CANNOT use ONE reference by the Daily Mail that states that France is the best place to live then illogically make the jump that should mean that one city in a large country over 65 million is automatically the best place to live. In case, you are wondering, here is a more appropriate lists of best cities to live and work in:
- Vienna, Austria (Mercer Consulting Survey: The Best Cities in the World to Live | Global Finance),
- Melbourne Australia (The Telegraph: The world's 10 best cities to live in - Telegraph),
- Vancouver (Vienna & Melbourne (Forbes Magazine: Vienna, Austria - In Photos: The World's Best -- And Worst -- Cities - Forbes)

Listen, choosing the best place to live is a matter of subjective preference. However, incorrectly quoting facts, incorrect interpretation, and just blatant misinformation is not excusable. Just to name another thing, you state that productivity is falling in the USA, but the latest economic report states that US employee productivity is increasing: output increasing at 3.2% annually, employee expenses decreasing at 1.8% which means employees are being a lot more productive per hour (Increase in U.S. Productivity Helps to Restrain Labor Costs - Bloomberg).

Here, I will even help you a little bit, France is slight more productive (per hour) than Germany (Labour productivity levels in the total economy). However, the French economy is still growing slower than UK & Germany according to World Bank (GDP growth (annual %) | Data | Table), so that means fewer jobs going forward.

Quote:

Rape stats:
32.2, 32.3, 31.8, 31.5,30.6,29.8,29.0,27.3

Assaults:

France tops list of best places to live in the world for fifth year in a row... but Britain languishes in 25th | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.