U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM

13 posts, read 22,796 times

Advertisements

Dont forget the costs of living.

From my experience, Paris is much more expensive than Berlin. It is very hard to find a affordable, clean, roach- and mold free apartment in Paris or in a suburb within reasonable distance. Restaurants are mostly expensive, especially in the city centre. Check some websites for prices and living costs in Paris and Berlin and you will see the difference. Imho the quality of life in Berlin is higher than in Paris unless money doesnt matter.

Especially when you love nature and culture, Berlin is a great place. Berlin is surrounded by beautiful lake districts, it is really nice in summer. To the north you are in 2 or 2,5 hrs on the Baltic Sea, to the south it is not far to Swiss Saxony or the Ore Mountains. In your mid 30ies it is really a great place to live and believe me, the climate is not so much different in Paris in Berlin. I had times where I was frozen to the bones in Berlin and in Paris. If it is cold, there is no difference between -6 Grad Celcius or -8 Grad Celcius.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 PM

3,399 posts, read 5,157,119 times
What do you mean by the jobs are the same? Exact same pay, or comparable value considering the cities? Berlin is much cheaper, almost bizarrely cheap for such a major developed city.

I've never been to Paris, but Berlin twice. It's a nice city, and you can do anything there. I guess Paris if you're looking for better food or want something more grandiose?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 AM

2,258 posts, read 5,236,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selma007 View Post
thanks for your answer ! I know better Paris and I've only been 4 days in Berlin and it was quite freezing !
Well just to precise I'm a woman of 35 years old, love nature, arts, and dislike discos... I've just read that Berlin has a great quality of life... I was just guessing what kind of quality of life if the temperature was under Zero...
I'm really lost and have to give an answer before friday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selma007 View Post
Hello fellows,

I've been proposed a job in Paris and another in Berlin and don't know which city is better to live...
Sorry there are already threads with topics with Paris or Berlin, but haven't seen any talking of relocation !
I live in Barcelona, and know Paris... and I've been four days in Berlin at the beginning of the month and the city is amazing but so cold !! Was a little bit concerned with the weather...(ok it's not Siberia)...

Can someone who know both of these two cities give me advice ?

Thanks for your help guys !!!
I am afraid I will have to say Berlin.

First of all, I doubt you would actually be living in Paris. Paris is only the small area inside the beltway. It's just too expensive in there. Many suburbs sucks, however, there are some nice once. Paris is dead at night. If you are looking for night life, you won't find it in Paris.
Berlin is colder, but there's snow.
If your take home pay is 10 000 per month, I would move to Paris somewhere inside the beltway. Then take a cab to the suburbs, or wherever, for the night life.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 AM

15 posts, read 32,541 times
ahahhaha, I had a blast reading the posts, thanks everybody !
Yes same job in Paris, and same salary... I speak better french than german, I'm not against learning german better, that would be a great challenge.
True Paris by night really sucks, I've been living there 10 years ago for my studies and can't recommend it for its nightlife... Regarding people, parisians are cold persons, so no matter the people I met.
Regarding the weather, I remember Paris has grey sky as well, so I can point out the weather, both of the cities are not Miami....
Ok think I got my answers...Berlin is the ideal city...hope I'll enjoy it !!
Thanks fellows !!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:37 AM

4,654 posts, read 4,291,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I've been to both cities and if the jobs are about equal, I think Paris. When I was in Berlin, standing in line at a kiosk for food, three German women decided to start pushing me. I had no choice but to leave the line. I presume it was because I'm an American, but, I was not doing anything but stand quietly in line. It was an isolated incident, but it's what comes to my mind about Berlin.
Not a good criteria to choose a city,the person moving either to cities,need to know her priorities.
If you're going for nature and weather,then Paris is liitle bit warmer,but if you're going for a the job and the salary salary,then i Berlin is a better choice.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:24 AM

My priorities are to be close to the nature, and warm weather...I can't stand the winter and snow... I really suffer the winter, not to be so mannered, but I never go to the beach if there's not a temperature of at least 27 degrees... Just to gve you an idea of my personality...
I also speak better french than german, the only matter is I fear that I might not get used to Berlin and its weather despite the fact I'll be paid the same !

Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 AM

554 posts, read 811,664 times
Paris nightlife is very good if you know the city and some people. Which take some time. But it's true Berlin is awesome if you like clubs and beer.

You said your wages would be the same in both cities. If it's less than 2500-3000€ net a month I would advice Berlin. For a single adult, Paris is quite expensive.. You'll have to pay strict minimum 1000€ to get a flat big enough for a 35 y-o adult, and not in the best areas. It would be ok if you like the suburban life, and don't mind commuting, there are plenty of forests outside Paris metro by the way. The weather is kind of awful in both cities. Warmer and less wind in Paris from my experience.
For a 35 years old woman who don't look for the night life but like art, I would say Paris could be more interesting. Berlin has a much younger vibe.

In my opinion it's more about your wage and your life style. If you like things like shopping, hanging out in after works, visiting the last art expo, eating in restaurants most of the time, etc.. Paris is better, but expensive. If you would like a little garden just outside the city, don't like crowds, being more laid-back, Berlin may offer you more for less money.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:16 AM

720 posts, read 2,570,434 times
Keep language in mind as well. French is considerably easier for English speakers than German. Paris is nicer and has more to offer than Berlin, but of course Berlin is much more affordable and greener.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 AM

677 posts, read 873,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I am afraid I will have to say Berlin.

First of all, I doubt you would actually be living in Paris. Paris is only the small area inside the beltway. It's just too expensive in there. Many suburbs sucks, however, there are some nice once. Paris is dead at night. If you are looking for night life, you won't find it in Paris.
Berlin is colder, but there's snow.
If your take home pay is 10 000 per month, I would move to Paris somewhere inside the beltway. Then take a cab to the suburbs, or wherever, for the night life.
When I was in Paris on an excursion tour back in 2003, we lived in some suburb and could not find any night life there! We walked around for maybe 2 hours after midnight but didn't even find a bar which would work at that time.
And local people who we met on the street told us: For night life, go to Paris!
BTW half of them could speak English, which kind of surprised me back then. Previously I'd thought that the French really sucked at English...

Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM

JedlaRoche and Indigo, thanks for your replies... to resume Berlin is affordable and Paris too expensive, Berlin more greener and has a younger vibe like Barcelona, and that's not what I'm looking for... I work quite a lot, and just walk a lot to feel just alive after work and now I'm completely confused !! Everything is not based on money but more on a quality of life after work...and Berlin seems the best option for the moment...
Are there people living or who lived in Berlin who can give me their mind ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.