U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM
 
1,334 posts, read 2,459,458 times
Reputation: 1564

Advertisements

About economy, Paris is definitively better than Berlin which is a second rate economic city within Germany. It is the poorest big city of the country.
The unemployment rate is lower in Paris than in Berlin and the GDP of Paris is much higher than the GDP of Berlin.

Germany isn't Berlin and Paris isn't France.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM
 
101 posts, read 151,606 times
Reputation: 78
Berlin, hands down.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM
 
15 posts, read 32,540 times
Reputation: 20
why Berlin hands down ?? please argue... It's always good to read other way of thinking !!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM
 
4,654 posts, read 4,291,263 times
Reputation: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selma007 View Post
why Berlin hands down ?? please argue... It's always good to read other way of thinking !!
Please post ur arguments with numbers,unemployment numbers in France and Paris are high.
I already posted comparison link,so Berlin is a better choice.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,256 posts, read 27,766,236 times
Reputation: 8790
As Minato ku mentioned, Berlin has high unemployment and low wages (and other issues, such as high poverty and mounting debt) - it is the worst big city in Germany as far as economic performance goes (Munich is the best). However, if you're going to be earning the same wage in either city, then you will have more disposable income in Berlin.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Berlin
63 posts, read 88,587 times
Reputation: 44
The winters in Berlin are hardcore. Much more than in Paris because the lack of light and the grey sky can make you really depressive. But the summer is great, sunrise at 4:30, sunset at 21:30..long long days.
Regarding the beauty of the cities and their cultural refinement: Paris, of course. If I could afford it, I would live in Paris.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 AM
 
2,258 posts, read 5,236,080 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
About economy, Paris is definitively better than Berlin which is a second rate economic city within Germany. It is the poorest big city of the country.
The unemployment rate is lower in Paris than in Berlin and the GDP of Paris is much higher than the GDP of Berlin.

Germany isn't Berlin and Paris isn't France.
Paris is a city of about 2 million people.... and when I look at some of the suburbs - the last time they had anything under 10% unemployment must have been 20 or 30 years ago.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 AM
 
1,334 posts, read 2,459,458 times
Reputation: 1564
When I speak of Paris, I always speak of Paris and its suburbs.
It is less than 10%, Paris metropolitan area has 9% unemployment rate (It is above 10% for Berlin).
Anyway looking only the unemployment rate as an indicator of economic preformance is wrong because there are many difference about countries.
Because of high labor taxes, hard rules and low flexibity (difficulty to fire), France has a higher unempleyment rate than any country with similar a economy but other rules.
French employers are less likely to hire, especially low productive and unskilled jobs.

Many people fails to see the huge economic powerhouse that is Paris.
It is one of the wealthiest city in Europe, one of the top 5 highest metropolitan GDP in the world, home of many big multinational.
It is easy to think Paris only as a tourist and cultural center but it is a big business city above all.

According the Eurostat GDP data, this is the GDP in 2010 of Paris and Berlin.
(nominal, US dollars at market exchange rates)
-Paris metropolitan area: $781.5bn
-Berlin metropolitan area: $175.0bn

GDP per capita
-Paris metropolitan area: $66,120
-Berlin metropolitan area: $34,685

When you look the GDP per capita, Berlin is on part with the big southern European cities while Paris is on part with the wealthiest european cities.
Paris is a highly productive city.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 AM
 
541 posts, read 1,435,874 times
Reputation: 955
^
Yeah, you are correct that Berlin sucks economically speaking compared to other German or Western/Northern European cities, however, the social gap here is way less prevalent than in e.g. London or Paris. I mean the differences between the propserous and wealthy borough of Zehlendorf and the mostly Muslim and immigrant/working class dominated borough of Neukölln are huge but Berlin overall hasn't that many super-rich and super-poor people like Paris or London. Even the ****tiest areas here aren't nearly as deprived as Clichy-sous-Bois or Newham are.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:41 PM
 
2,258 posts, read 5,236,080 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
When I speak of Paris, I always speak of Paris and its suburbs.
It is less than 10%, Paris metropolitan area has 9% unemployment rate (It is above 10% for Berlin).
Anyway looking only the unemployment rate as an indicator of economic preformance is wrong because there are many difference about countries.
Because of high labor taxes, hard rules and low flexibity (difficulty to fire), France has a higher unempleyment rate than any country with similar a economy but other rules.
French employers are less likely to hire, especially low productive and unskilled jobs.

Many people fails to see the huge economic powerhouse that is Paris.
It is one of the wealthiest city in Europe, one of the top 5 highest metropolitan GDP in the world, home of many big multinational.
It is easy to think Paris only as a tourist and cultural center but it is a big business city above all.

According the Eurostat GDP data, this is the GDP in 2010 of Paris and Berlin.
(nominal, US dollars at market exchange rates)
-Paris metropolitan area: $781.5bn
-Berlin metropolitan area: $175.0bn

GDP per capita
-Paris metropolitan area: $66,120
-Berlin metropolitan area: $34,685

When you look the GDP per capita, Berlin is on part with the big southern European cities while Paris is on part with the wealthiest european cities.
Paris is a highly productive city.

LOL. Sure. A powerhouse has a high unemployment rate?

The unemployment rate was 9.2% last year. Could be very well 9.5% now. Who knows.

Berlin was 30k per capita in 2011. That's 41k Dollars.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top