U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 02:04 PM

22,256 posts, read 27,737,450 times

Advertisements

To be fair, London has one of the highest unemployment rates in the UK, but is still an economic powerhouse.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-07-2014, 02:16 PM

8,199 posts, read 8,121,928 times
9.0% to 8.1% this year in London. Ditto NYC: 9.4% to 8.1% over the last 2 years. 8.6% to 9.2% in Ile-de-France. Trends are opposite, but one has to explain the link between unemployment and the economic significance of a city.

Unemployment in Paris and suburban departments in 2012:
http://www.insee.fr/fr/themes/tablea..._id=tratc03301

Paris hardly stands out. Some suburbs are in a poorer shape, some are better. For some reason, certain people choose to focus on the former. Btw yeah, Paris is a 2 million city. It's smaller than Rome then. And Chongqing is more than 2 times bigger than Tokyo. Political boundaries don't mean anything.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,456,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Berlin was 30k per capita in 2011. That's 41k Dollars.
That's for the city of Berlin (city limits) and not the metropolitan area.
Note that the GDP per capita of the City of Paris is above 100k dollars.
Obviously as the city proper is small, this number is increased because the high number of commuters from the suburbs.
The city proper of Berlin is bigger, so the difference with the metropolitan area number is less important.

Anither interesting note the small City of Paris (2 million inh) has a bigger GDP than the metropolitan area of Berlin (5 million inh).

Old 02-07-2014, 08:10 PM

4,654 posts, read 4,285,308 times
All the economic consideration about Paris are not true on the ground.
Bottom line,Paris is way more expensive and more dangerous than Berlin.
Therfore Berlin is a better choice.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:52 AM

22,256 posts, read 27,737,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
All the economic consideration about Paris are not true on the ground.
Bottom line,Paris is way more expensive and more dangerous than Berlin.
Therfore Berlin is a better choice.
I would agree that Berlin is the better choice since he/she will be earning the same wage in both, but if he/she was earning a higher wage in Paris to compensate for the higher living cost, I would not say Berlin is the better choice, but it really depends on what you're looking for. Paris is bigger, with more to see and do, and is more beautiful, but also slightly chaotic, whereas Berlin is more 'bohemian', I guess you could say, a bit rougher around the edges - a place for artsy types (cities like London and Paris are becoming increasingly hostile to artsy types due to the great expenses involved living there).

Old 02-08-2014, 02:56 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,918,118 times
The two cities are completly different, all depends about what you like and expect from a city.

Paris is not just the histrical city center that tourists visit (called 'ville de Paris'). But an agglomeration more than twice more populated than Berlin. The quality if life, prices, etc just cannot be compared. Berlin still much less dense than Paris and feels more provincial (it nit the buggest urban area of Germany and certainly not the main economical center of the country, unlike Paris.

Which is amusing is that Paris still continue to carry in the world images of a small and quiet quaint touristic city ad if it was Venice ir Prague. Nothing can be so untrue for most if the city.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:09 AM

15 posts, read 32,528 times
Hi guys,
With all these comments, I'm just lost... I've just made a trip to Berlin...and well even if I would have power purchase in Berlin, the weather really sucks... cold and grey sky during one week...I know it's winter time, but a weather like this, I won't be able to do anything outside...Paris seems better for this
At the moment, I'm just renegotiating the wages in Paris... I'm not an artist, I'm just a mere employee working in international environments...
I do not check the unemployment rates, as I will be working... the main thing for me is to get my own flat, and not suffer that much of commutings !
I have to give an answer on Wednesday.At the moment, as I've seen both of the cities to have my own feelings, I appreciate certain points of this two cities, and disliked other...but at the end Paris attracted me more for the architecture, story and gastronomy...hope I'm not making a mistake...

Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 AM

4,654 posts, read 4,285,308 times
2 importants things : salary,how expensive is the city,everything else is less important including the weather.
Berlin is better by far on the 2 most important questions.
Btw,Paris is also very cold in winter.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,918,118 times
Do you speak french and/or german. Choosing to live in a city lile Paris or Berlin is also mainly a question of liking/ being attracted or not the local culture, food, language, way of life, etc. In that point of view both cities are worlds appart. It canno't be just a question of job opportunity or weather...

Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 32,528 times
I speak fluently five languages, among them french...
I've studied german 1 year and do not understand anything when I hear people talking in german... The german company precised I'll have the possibility to have german classes...but when ?? I'll be probably starting at 8:00 AM till I don't know what time...
Paris is cold in winter for sure, but Berlin was worse as I've experienced !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.